Smart phone vs gps

FreeRange

WKR
I use Trimble and it works really well. I use the topo and aerial cached maps on my phone so no need for cell service. The land ownership overlay is great (it doesn't give contact info on landowners however, just color codes private vs NFS vs NPS vs BLM vs State lands) and is good for a number of western states for $20/year which includes some other features.

The ability to go over maps on your computer at home, create waypoints and tracks if you want and then send them to yours and your hunting partners emails to download to your phone is great. I think it creates gpx files so you could make the points work in other gps units as well though I've never tried. No topo/aerial overlay which is too bad but overall I'm a big fan of the trimble software. Battery life is great for me, I leave it in airplane mode in my pocket pretty much all day and only use it to aid with hiking in the dark and finding the tent at night, I can use it for days. I never owned a gps before so I don't consider this a replacement for gps but it is a handy tool for sure.

ChrisS

WKR
I've used both Gaia GPS on my phone and I have a garmin rino. I think gaia & my phone is an easier, although perhaps less accurate, solution. Additionally the screen on the phone is much better and easier to edit. I still use the Rino for the radio function & locator when hunting with a group.

Ok guys, I purchased the Gaia GPS app. It's super easy to use! My question is, if I use the Iphone 5 only as a gps, turn off all other usage, and use a battery pack that will charge it 3-4 times, will I have enough juice for 5-6 days in the backcountry?

ChrisS

WKR
Ok guys, I purchased the Gaia GPS app. It's super easy to use! My question is, if I use the Iphone 5 only as a gps, turn off all other usage, and use a battery pack that will charge it 3-4 times, will I have enough juice for 5-6 days in the backcountry?
I think you can do it no problem depending on how you use the GPS and which phone (carrier) you have. I have an AT&T 5s and if I'm using it to record a track, I'll go through 60-80% of the battery over the course of a day. If I'm only turning the phone (or switching airplane mode on/off), I probably only use 10-20% of the battery.

If you're conservative with the GPS, you won't even need the battery pack. Turning it off while sitting and glassing or otherwise not moving will save a lot of battery. Also screen brightness is a big drain as well. You can get some more tips here: http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

I think you can do it no problem depending on how you use the GPS and which phone (carrier) you have. I have an AT&T 5s and if I'm using it to record a track, I'll go through 60-80% of the battery over the course of a day. If I'm only turning the phone (or switching airplane mode on/off), I probably only use 10-20% of the battery.

If you're conservative with the GPS, you won't even need the battery pack. Turning it off while sitting and glassing or otherwise not moving will save a lot of battery. Also screen brightness is a big drain as well. You can get some more tips here: http://adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

Awesome! Thanks for the response.

idcuda

WKR
Another vote for backcountry navigator. I can go days with my S5 in airplane mode. Cheap, very quick to download huge tiles, and many topo/satellite/extra overlays. Very good customer support too.

inupiat1

FNG
Ditto on Backcountry Navigator. For an alternate charger, you might try the BioLite KettleCharge. Works on any stove/fire, boils water and gives 10 watts of charging power. If you want to try cheap solar chargers with or w/o battery storage, look at miniinthebox.com

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ditto on Backcountry Navigator. For an alternate charger, you might try the BioLite KettleCharge. Works on any stove/fire, boils water and gives 10 watts of charging power. If you want to try cheap solar chargers with or w/o battery storage, look at miniinthebox.com
Have you tried the biolite kettle charge?

tdot

WKR
Has anyone tried the Garmin GLO to increase the quality of GPS signal reception on their iPhone or Android's???

I'm thinking about starting to use that, along with my smartphone to have the benefits of both systems, without the added weight of a GPS.

wpwarren

FNG
I used the trimble Hunt app this past year on my samsung galaxy s5. I kept the phone in airplane mode and it worked really well. Batteries easily lasted all day. I was going to upgrade to a better gps unit, but I am happy enough with the phone that I think I will stick with it and paper maps and a compass for my wayfinding.

I used the onXmaps hunt app this year with my iphone. Its the free one promoted through RMEF. It was slick. I've never used a chip or anything to look at land ownership. I had my compass with me as a backups. I kept my GPS since its tied to my spot unit. I mainly use paper maps, but it worked great. If I didn't have the spot unit, I'd leave the GPS at home. I've used a goal zero panel/charger for several years and used it a few times. As mentioned, use the airplane mode and download any overlays you need at home when you are wifi.

I use BC navigator also and like it a lot. Buddy uses Trimble and likes his as well and I thought it looked as good or better than BC nav. I have a Samsung and just bring 2 extra batteries and normally keep it in airplane mode. I only used 1 of my backup batteries once as I can normally get at least 3 days as I mainly use it sporadically. If I get cell service, I tend to use it more than necessary. My phone saves several other items. (camera, video, GPS, emergency lite, etc.) Too bad it doesn't have a 12x zoom then I could leave my binoc's home also!!! Just kidding. Main drawback for me has just been learning the system as I'm not a big techie. I think GPS's are much easier and a bit faster but I'll not go back to a GPS.

inupiat1

FNG
Update for live2hunt on Biolite Kettlecharge. I had to wait to get it with my 20% off REI coupon. It works great in tests at home, however I think i will only take it on 4+ days trips because it is 7 inches x 3 inches and weighs two pounds. It can boil water for purification, but i use the Camelbak All Clear for that.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update for live2hunt on Biolite Kettlecharge. I had to wait to get it with my 20% off REI coupon. It works great in tests at home, however I think i will only take it on 4+ days trips because it is 7 inches x 3 inches and weighs two pounds. It can boil water for purification, but i use the Camelbak All Clear for that.
Didn't realize it weighed that much. That's pretty steep.

inupiat1

FNG
More of a power is out at home or shtf/bug-out-bag item for me. Would work better for me if it was just a stick to put into existing cookware. It has some uses, but it's a hell of a brick to carry and I'm not getting any younger!

So this is a bit off topic, but this is the most techy thread I could find on here about phones. I am looking at getting a smart phone again, yes that is right. I use my old Quntico through US Cell. Saves on monthly bills and much better reception where I am at. My old phone would always loose my position when using Google for driving directions. What phone and/or program would work for this application. I would also like to use it to have sat. images and topo of some of the areas that I hunt here in Iowa and for the few times a year when I go out West to visit. I know here there are places that I would be without service and I am sure that would be the same out West. Thanks.

weaver

WKR
Android phone with the backcountry navigator app is what I use. You can download maps and view them even if you don't have service.

ChrisS

WKR
You can get by with any smartphone in this case. Not sure if there's a comparison of the GPS technology in each phone. I think with some (all?) android phones you can turn everything off but the GPS to conserve battery.

Gaia GPS is another app, one that I use, that allows for download of map tiles from many sources, including aerial imagery. For directions, Waze is a great app. Users can report accidents, construction, speed traps, and you get warnings. Free app with location based ads.