15 Degree Bag!!

TMK

FNG
Well it sounds like I made a poor choice in sleeping bags. Who makes a sleeping bag that is rectangular in shape (mummy bags are not an option) that is good for 15 degrees! Help please.

Thanks,

TMK

Feathered friends will make you pretty much whatever you want and it's top quality. I've layed in the badger and it will be my next bag purchase. It's really really nice.

NEhunter

WKR
Looking hard at feathered friends for my next bag. I am looking at the puffin nano in a 10degree. A little heavier than some others but I think the room will be great.

charvey9

WKR
Zpacks makes custom bags and equipment and might be able to make you something. As far as off the rack, I can't think of any 15 degree rectangular bags. Slumberjack makes this rectangular bag with a hood and arm holes that looks like the snugee of the sleeping bag world. Not sure if it comes in 15 degrees though.

To the O.P.:

Are you talking fully rectangular....as in no taper at all? For 15F you'll need a heck of a bag if it's rectangular. Might check Cabela's Alaskan Guide bags. Heavy, but warm and roomy. Not for backpacking.

RUTTIN

WKR
I've got a big Agnes lost ranger that is a lot more roomy, I can roll around a little. It's a 15* but I get cold when it gets down to 20*

Tiger Rag

WKR
Might take a look at Montbell. Their bag stretches, gives you a roomier feel.

Love my Montbell Down Hugger #1 800 fill power. Supposed to be a 15* bag (23* comfort - 11* T-limit - minus 24 extreme). I've been down to low 20's in it and been a little on the warm side. Definitely roomy enough for a reasonably large guy but not like a rectangular bag though. Has spiral baffles that stretch to give room for movement. No drafts that I've noticed. Great bag!

OP
T

TMK

FNG
To the O.P.:

Are you talking fully rectangular....as in no taper at all? For 15F you'll need a heck of a bag if it's rectangular. Might check Cabela's Alaskan Guide bags. Heavy, but warm and roomy. Not for backpacking.

Semi rectangular is ok. I bought a Big Agnes Summit park 15 degree bag and I really like the size and the sleeve for the pad. But I have heard that they are 15 to 20 degrees off on their temperature rating. I will be in the upper Yukon in early October and did not want to get cold.

Have you tried the BA summit park in the cold? I have had mine down below 15 and was plenty warm. I was in a tent so that adds some heat but not much. I think it is the BA synthetics that get the poor cold rating.

Suggest you look at a Western Mountaineering Ponderosa MF. They are accurately (and conservatively) rated to 15F. The weight is 2lb-9oz in a 6-0 size. The shoulder/hip/foot girths of 67/64/48 are very generous, and more spacious than my roomy Sequoia. You'll pay dearly for a new WM bag and probably never part with it. If you do, they tend to sell very well with good return on original cost.

Kotaman

WKR
I've got a big Agnes lost ranger that is a lot more roomy, I can roll around a little. It's a 15* but I get cold when it gets down to 20*

My Lost Ranger is about a 40 degree bag. The zero degree Storm King might work at 15 degrees.

Shrek

WKR
You can take Western Mountaineering temp ratings to the bank. Don't buy one rated way colder than you need or you'll roast in it. For most normal sleepers a WM bag can go a good bit lower than rated with clothes on.

JNDEER

WKR
My Lost Ranger is about a 40 degree bag. The zero degree Storm King might work at 15 degrees.

Funny, my LR is fine down to about 25-30. This is assuming you wear a wool base layer (pant/long sleeve shirt) and a beanie. A warmer pad helps too.