Wanted: Tyvek

jwb300

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get the correct type of tyvek for your application. I'm sure you are all over this. For backpacking, builders tyvek (homewrap) is not the way to go.

Cheers,
JWB300

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you get the correct type of tyvek for your application. I'm sure you are all over this. For backpacking builders tyvek (homewrap) is not the way to go.

Cheers,
JWB300

Talk about a cliffhanger..."Something is deadly in your kitchen, tune in at 10:00 to your local news for more" :D

Care to explain a little more about what you mean?

jwb300

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tyvek commonly used for groundsheets/shelters etc is Type 1443R. It is the lightest, most pliable and breathable tyvek. It has similar breathability properties to Goretex.

jwb300

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backpacking Tyveck? We grow plants in water beds under a fabric called tyveck. Is this the same as backpacking Tyveck??

Sorry for the confusion. There is no such thing as 'backpacking tyvek' rather just tyvek that is used for this application. You probably grow your plants under a different type to 1443R. 1443R only comes in 1.5m wide rolls and is designed more for clothing applications.

colonel00

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some quick internet searching it appears the 1443R is .55oz/yd lighter. How is it strength wise? You can buy some here it appears:

http://www.amazon.com/Tyvek-1443R-Kitemaking-Material/dp/B001TO4QVA

I already have homewrap and will continue to use it until it is destroyed. It is a bit stiff but you just need to continuously ball it up and crinkle it all to hell. I have even read where people throw it into the washing machine to get it nice and "soft". After working with mine, it is pretty decent. Probably not as soft as the 1443R but I do like the idea of keeping it a bit "rugged" too.

colonel00

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew of differences but never really looked into it. For example, USPS has those soft envelopes that are Tyvek.

I guess in the interest of science, I might get a rub of this other stuff for a comparison.