Colorado DOW hunt planner

bwlacy

WKR
Have any of you ever called or used the Colorado DOW hunt planners? Just wondering what kind of info or feedback you received from them. I plan on calling everyone I can get ahold of out there while trying to figure out what area to hunt this September. There is no way I can get out there to scout this summer and I'm new to elk hunting so a lot of areas look good to me. I've been pouring over the hunting map on their website and google earth. Also looked at all the stats for the last couple years. I think I have it narrowed down to a few different areas so now the phone work begins.

I have and they were very helpfull.i had an area that looked good to me on GG and the man i talked to confirmed it was a good area,in fact we was with his friend that took a nice bull in that very area.he did not give me that info tho ,untill i got very specific about the area.i appreciated that because i could see that he wouldn't have told me that if i dident get specific,which in turn tells me that they just dont hand you good areas...

1hoda

Banned
Skip the hunt planners and call the regional CPW office in the area you want to hunt.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
They can be helpful. And they can also just recite statistics that are available on the cpw website. Like any other company, some are better than others.

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
They can be helpful. And they can also just recite statistics that are available on the cpw website. Like any other company, some are better than others.

I did and they were somewhat helpful of the area itself, but as stated above, my info on the elk in that area were statistics that seemed a few years old. I would also call the regional CPW like 1hoda said.

Bar

Banned
You're best option is to call the warden for the unit you want to hunt. The DOW will give you his number.

xziang

WKR
I've called them a couple times asking about a couple areas I had chosen and it seemed that they went off of the map server they offer most of all. I would suggest pick a couple areas and then give them a call to see if they can help you with that particular area and numbers etc. They did inform me a couple days ago that the 'new numbers' would be available sometime this month. I'm guessing they are talking about their harvest numbers.
Last time I used or called them I did so to try and get the GW for the area or the local office numbers for the area I was planning on going. Good luck with your research.