4Runner

So, I came across a '97 Toyota 4Runner Limited, Automatic, with 220k on it. They are asking $3500, and he has an offer for $2800. My question is it worth the $3500? I drove t about 50 miles today with out any issues, everything worked fine on it. There is some rust, in different areas of the body. I am pretty sure it is a small enough amount that it could taken care of with tin-snips and bondo. Parts of the frame have rust scaling off of it, but it is less than I would expect on a vehicle this old. The belt was just changed last year. I will have to replace the tires by next Fall/Winter. Around the heads, on top, it looks like there may be some oil. He says it does not use any oil though. It also needs a brake job, they are pretty mushy till you get any real good stopping.

Should I pull the trigger on this rig or let it go. The GF already says its a bad idea, but it is my money. I would use it as a DD, which includes 6 hrs of highway time most weekends, and for hunting.

Thanks in advance.

So 4runners are awesome...just saying. My buddy has a 2000 with about 450 k miles...and that's the norm...its 3.4l right? I had a Tacoma with that motor. Bullet proof...I have FJ now...

I'd let a mechanic look at it. Tell ya what it needs. If the mechanics tell ya its good to go..pull the trigger. Its 4WD right?

If you maintain 4 runners from that era they will run for ever.

dotman

WKR
I would skip it, if your asking us you already know it isn't the one. If the maintenance wasn't kept up you'll put more into it then it is worth. I was looking at doing the same thing last year, decided it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:

bhylton

WKR
I have a 95 4x4 Pickup with the 22re. i bought it for $3500 with 170K miles on it. I personally would not but anything with that many miles on just out of principle. but having owned a few toyotas, i would not pay 3500 for one with 220k on it. that said, If you are mechanically inclined, you can replace just about anything yourself. I would keep an eye out for a better deal.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I got lucky I own the 96 4runner when I bought it 3 years ago it had 121k miles on it. still running strong now with165k. I tell you what I will never own drive another SUV even if this one takes a dump I will be buying another 4runner. Great running SUV. 220k miles still isnt bad. If it was taken care of and has alot of good replaced parts then you can easily pull 400k out of it. If it has rust though then that one is a tough deal. Rust only get worse unless you put the money into it to restore it and stop the cancer.

Those 3.4's will run forever if they are maintained, but changing the timing belt is a real pain in the ass. I'd be more worried about the trans than the motor though, most people will change their oil every 3k but never change the trans fluid.

Did you try out the 4x4? Those early year Tacoma/4runners had problems with the vacuum actuator in the front end and 4x4 wouldn't kick in reliably, especially when it's cold and the gear oil is thick. Later years; I believe around 2000 but don't quote me on it, went to an electric actuator and they are much more reliable.

jmez

WKR
$3500 is too much IMO. Might have someone look at the brakes. If they are mushy then it may need more than a brake job. Master cylinder could be bad. May just have air in the lines. May have a leak in a line somewhere and need all new brake lines.

If you are going to buy pickup, even a Toyota, with 220K, it is going to need work. Water pump, timing belt and thermostat, (think these have the water pump in with timing belt.) Brake system, valve cover gaskets, wheel bearings (even if sealed) etc.. If you are handy and can do it yourself not a huge deal or expense. If you have to take it in for everything the potential is there to dump a lot of money into it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Those 3.4's will run forever if they are maintained, but changing the timing belt is a real pain in the ass. I'd be more worried about the trans than the motor though, most people will change their oil every 3k but never change the trans fluid.

Did you try out the 4x4? Those early year Tacoma/4runners had problems with the vacuum actuator in the front end and 4x4 wouldn't kick in reliably, especially when it's cold and the gear oil is thick. Later years; I believe around 2000 but don't quote me on it, went to an electric actuator and they are much more reliable.

Yeah my 4 wheel works like a champ. I did however swap out the trans fluid in mine. Took it about 3 weeks before the smell of burnt transmission fluid would go away. drove me crazy thinking something was wrong or I had a leak but it just has to burn in I guess.

duchntr

WKR
If the truck was maintained it will go 300k easy,,Is it worth $3500? well I'm not sure, If it were me Id look up the blue book value on it and check eBay sold listings and find out what the going market value is for that year runner with that many miles, then you can make an educated decision. Another bonus is they are easy to work on, Good luck with your search

Nateinia

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 99 with 160k on it last year for 3500. I have driven it from the boundary waters in northern Minnesota down to Atlanta Georgia. The 4Runner just runs. I don't know where else I could have gotten a reliable suv for that price. I think it's a good ( not great) deal of you can get a mechanic to check it out before pulling the trigger.

OP
F
Thanks for the input everyone. It is a V6 22re, and 4x4. I put it through 4H and 4L on my drive way, which is pretty steep and I have to put my truck in 4x4 to get up it. The 4Runner climbed it without being in 4x4. The electronic dif came on and felt like it was engaged when I tried to turn in a parking lot. I could tell that front end arts have been replaced, no idea what brand of parts though. The guy selling it has only had it for the last 20k miles. Says he is selling it because of needing the money and has to many vehicles, so he has not done to much work on it. I checked Blue Book and he is asking under what a Fair Condition vehicle is worth, think it said $3700 for my area. Looking on KBB last night there are models that have the same mileage that are above and below the asking price. I'm going to try and get it to a mechanic.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input everyone. It is a V6 22re, and 4x4. I put it through 4H and 4L on my drive way, which is pretty steep and I have to put my truck in 4x4 to get up it. The 4Runner climbed it without being in 4x4. The electronic dif came on and felt like it was engaged when I tried to turn in a parking lot. I could tell that front end arts have been replaced, no idea what brand of parts though. The guy selling it has only had it for the last 20k miles. Says he is selling it because of needing the money and has to many vehicles, so he has not done to much work on it. I checked Blue Book and he is asking under what a Fair Condition vehicle is worth, think it said $3700 for my area. Looking on KBB last night there are models that have the same mileage that are above and below the asking price. I'm going to try and get it to a mechanic.

Just a heads up the 22re was the 4cylinder motor only available in the earlier models. If it's a V6 it's actually the 5VZ and is 3.4L. Great motors, but with that many miles it's important to have the timing belt and water pump changed, if it hasn't been done yet you're sort of driving on borrowed time.

Mason

FNG
3rd gen 4Runner's are great vehicles. I'd say $3k-$3.5k sounds about right if it is the V6, the 4cyl should run a little less. The 4cyl is still a great engine reliability wise but not as powerful.

The brakes kind of stink on 3rd Gen 4Runners. I swapped mine out for Tundra brakes which are much better. The factory 4Runner rotors tend to warp pretty quickly.

The oil around the heads is normal, usually just needs the bolts tightened down from time to time.

At that mileage the other maintenance item I would be sure to look into is the lower ball joints and that would be a good time to do inner and outer tie rod ends. I replaced mind with OEM parts last summer for around $500 plus an alignment.

dotman

WKR
Also if you have the Vin you can sign up on the Toyota owners website and put the vin in to see all factory service records if a Toyota dealer ever did any work to it.

xziang

WKR
My old truck was a 97 4runner limited black in color and tan leather seats and also had the diff lock switch.

I loved the truck I feel it was built better than my current 2008 tacoma. It had better paint and frame rust prevention. One problem I did have with my 4runner was it was EATING rear axle seals. Some way some how the rear axle got bent and I had it replaced and once it was replaced I started blowing axle seals and couldn't get them to work. Even had a toyota shop put two in it and they came to the conclusion the axle housing was bad.

Needless to say I didn't reaplace the rear axle housing and traded it in on the tacoma.

One trick which I wish I would have done on the 4runner is the 'grey wire mod' that can be done on the electronic locker. That mod allows you to lock the rear axle anytime you want not just in 4 low.

It was great on the highway and was quiet. I actually almost purchased a 1993 5spd V6 4runner earlier this year for $2500.00 but didn't.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Killer truck and they flat out run, just don't try to drag race in one.

Really pay attention to that link posted as it's the best source for these trucks. The auto transmissions in the 3.4l are bomb proof and usually do really well. Also keep in mind the engine has a non interference motor. Meaning, if the timing belt should break you won't burn up the motor. It's traditionally a lot of mileage but I bought one with 220k for around 3k and now have 260k. It's been awesome and I just had to replace the factory alternator and have done plug/wires and front brakes and rotors.

Good luck if you decide to go for it.

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
You guys are making this tough, I have a 99 with 210K, were moving to the mainland and was thinking about taking it but it's a 5 speed and I would rather have an automatic as we'll be in the city. But this 4runner has been so good, no problems, just normal stuff, ac just started to go at over 200k, just recharged and it's still going, no rust at all. So torn as I have an 02 Tundra and usually need a truck, love it too but we've had the Runner for a long time, I was pretty set on selling it as they go for pretty good money here but it would be hard to let go.