Camp Month: High Country Hydration by Brock Akers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Can't really camp if you don't have water. One from the archives by Brock Akers:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-12-00/backpacking/290-high-country-hydration

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would just add that it doesn't really matter whether you're exercising or not at high altitude........you'll still need more water than normal just because of the altitude. I live at 6300 feet and drink a bunch of water every day, but I really start pounding it about 2 days before I head to the higher country.

One reason why I use a bladder is that I remember to drink as I'm climbing (and it's easy to do so). I don't stop much, so if I have to stop to get a bottle out I probably just won't drink as much as I should.

Good article, Brock.

Slim Jim

WKR
Great article Brock!
One thing that I notice when in the backcountry is that I don't often feel hungry. I just end up drinking water if I don't check my watch for time and tell myself it's time to eat.

I had an experience about 4 years ago where I experienced some serious dehydration. I headed into a new area after a lot of Google earthing where I thought there was water. Long story short I was without water long enough to where I started cramping BIG time. Another mistake I made was when I finally reached water I chugged it! Big mistake because my body completely cramped up and it SUCKED! I know you're supposed to sip water when you're trying to rehydrate but I didn't. That will never happen again

6789boat

FNG
I Need advice on what brand of water purification product to buy. What do you guys recommend please?? I saw the water purification product that Becca and Luke Moffat used on their Alaskan Goat hunt, but don't know the exact brand. Many thanks !!

mlob1one

WKR
For water purification I currently use two products. I have the Sawyer mini when using hydration packs with dirty water. I also use the MSR sweetwater pump for backcountry use. These two fulfill all of my needs for my boys and me. Good luck.

Finch

WKR
Good article! So I have a 3L bladder and it sounds as if I drink 2 full bladders a day, I'd be fine. Does anyone carry an extra bladder with them for whatever reason?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good article! So I have a 3L bladder and it sounds as if I drink 2 full bladders a day, I'd be fine. Does anyone carry an extra bladder with them for whatever reason?
Nope, just 1 bladder and water bottle