2015 Turkey Meatpole

Starting off the 2015 Spring Turkey Meatpole. My buddy and I both tagged out opening day here in Colorado.

Here are a few pics of our trip. We hiked in Friday night and were in the birds all day Saturday. I tagged out about 8am and my buddy got his close to 7pm.

4b945e0c352b4d161cb7e7a2f85f57ba.jpg

9d9692ecb4990448a30e241c7af08b3d.jpg

b6df59a04c117434e471152b0faee6a9.jpg

d7a947e20e0a7ab3923738c433535d6a.jpg

c1b3a81a36538c6a3a4013c50b0a2d0f.jpg

24b2ebcedb77ede6dafc346a718533de.jpg

FreeRange

WKR
SpringTurkey1.jpgSpringTurkey2.jpg
My first two days turkey hunting, called in two big toms the first day, they started fighting in front of me and I killed one of them. Called the other big tom back in the second day but he hung up a little ways out, I wonder why he was so nervous? He then got run off by two jakes who came in from the opposite direction, I had to wrap up the hunt to head home so I smoked one of the jakes. I had a blast, it was awesome watching the birds get all fired up and it fills in what used to be a blank part of the year on my hunting calendar.

Attachments

• SpringTurkey1.jpg
    SpringTurkey1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 85
  • SpringTurkey2.jpg
    SpringTurkey2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Oh yea!! Opening morning bird. It was a fast and furious hunt. Called him in and shot him 15 minutes after sunrise.

In the afternoon called in a Coyote while turkey hunting. A friend put him down with a Winchester Longbeard load at 55 yards..

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
I played today perfect. Heard multiple gobblers about 125 yards down in woods. Hunting woods not the fields as last 2 years the mature toms have stayed in hiding more than the open.

I was getting response but nothing coming to me so I cut the distance to about 75 yards. Set up and quietly plucked then mildly called some. Then got real quiet.

I stayed low in my calls and they came a looking! Finally they came into view and the big boy was huffed up and the others were gobling it seemed. I waited them out and they came to where I predicted at 30-35 yards and boom!

My best game plan to date and my biggest bird to date. First mature bird.

23lbs. 9.5" beard and 1 5/16" Spurs!!

DaveC

WKR
BL, that's a medieval looking bird!

Yesterday I went 3 for 3 in the last three years for bushwacking a turk within 10 miles of our house. Finding turkeys for public land locally is tough as they prefer the more open private land, but I've made it something of a quest anyway. Sunday was windy as hell and I spent four hours looking and calling with no luck, nothing. Yesterday was sunny and warm (60s) for this time of year so I decided to take my gun for a walk in the hour I had between work and other stuff. If you bring your gun, keep it loaded! This bit of state land was logged aggressively over the winter and I figured the open canopy would grow grass and attract turkeys. 20 minutes out my theory was confirmed when I cruised around a slash pile only to come face to face with two toms and a hen. The birds were just startled, thankfully, and gave me the half second I needed to lock onto the nearest tom and send a volley into the base of his neck.

Turkey for dinner tonight!!

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Tagged out with bird #2 Thursday. We had two come in and should have had a double but my nephew missed his!! He wasn't to happy!!

trkyslr

WKR
Well I finished up my Northern California season tagging out with three great bow kill birds using a natural setup (no blind) on all three. First two I killed were called in within 15 yards when killed and were part of a natural double kill with my buddies joe and Brent. Third bird was jake sneaked in (same as fanning) and shot at 20 yards. It was a great season and here's some pics to show for.... We also got it all on video as well and will be doing another video for everyone too see.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg