Raspberry Island Alaska question

brewer427

WKR
So I have a good friend who is stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage and he drew the Raspberry Elk tag this year. He is from Montana and has hunted down here a ton, but is needing some info and pointers for this hunt. Hoping to see if anybody up there, or anybody who has drew this tag, can provide some incite on the cost of lodging, or if you can camp to save money, and any other tips.

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

*Admins, I posted here instead of the elk forum to see if I would get more feedback on the General forum.*

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a post about it last year can't remember who drew through( flatbow, high country) so you're going to have to search for it. Alaska elk hunt raspberry island is thread couldn't link it with my phone sorry.

Last edited:
http://huntraspberryisland.com/roosevelt-elk/

I have been looking at this hunt for a while but its hard draw. This place came highly recommended to me from family of mine that lives in Kodiak. I know Remi Warren did his hunt last year out of here too. They have some Self Guide options.

Hope your friend has a great hunt, those elk have some massive bodies.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Flatbow drew the tag, I went along for the adventure. I'd be happy to talk you through our plan. IMO there is no need for a lodge. Just a good tent and a bear fence. However, having a boat to get around would REALLY be an advantage. The guys who slaughtered the deer rented a Zodiak with a motor and flew it to the island with them. Its an amazing place...

Here are some links:
http://remotepursuits.com/2014/10/24/hunting-roosevelt-elk-in-alaska-part1/
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?21451-Elk-Hunt-in-Alaska-Raspberry-Island

Ray

WKR
Over on the Outdoors Directory there are many threads on this hunt. It sounds brutal once you get an animal down, and there are some major bear issues.

Beendare

WKR
Take a look on GE...that sucker is thick. I've only bear hunted the edges but have 2 Ak buddies that have rifle hunted it. There are a few clearings on top- and thats what they did, -flown in and dropped on top- you won't be hiking from the beaches up there. You can hunt down...just not up....you will see what i mean.

OP
brewer427

brewer427

WKR
They will stirred up and randomly distributed based on pressure on the west half of island. Good luck to him, you going with?
I'm not sure yet. Trying to work the logistics of whether I will be able to take that much time off from work. I'm taking this Friday and next Monday off to go bag a turkey, then the week of the 11th off next month to go chase bear, then 10 days in September for Elk. So will see. I would really like to, just to be able to experience hunting on that island would be neat.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take a look on GE...that sucker is thick. I've only bear hunted the edges but have 2 Ak buddies that have rifle hunted it. There are a few clearings on top- and thats what they did, -flown in and dropped on top- you won't be hiking from the beaches up there. You can hunt down...just not up....you will see what i mean.

We were flown in via a Beaver on floats so had to hike up. The guys down the beach from us that got an Elk also hiked up. In reference to an earlier comment on bears, they did loose a portion of their kill to the bears. We saw a little bear sign, and glassed a sow with 2 cubs from camp. Another party we ran it had also seen a bear. Hiking up is tough, but doable. Its thick brush that gets pushed down by the snow so its practically growing out from the hillside at a 45* angle. You really have to push and pull your way through the thick spots...

Just because you are dropped up top does not mean you won't have to hike up again. The island is pretty up and down. It does give you a vantage spot though. If you had good weather camping on top would be ok; if the weather was anything like we experienced camping on top would be a bit western.... On the way out the pilot spent a good 10-15 minutes flying over the island for us. Despite this we did not see an elk. Its thick in there....

I still think the best way to hunt this island is via boat. Motor to a spot where you can climb up and glass. Spend some time there, if you find elk you can work out a stalk, if not, go back to boat motor to another spot and repeat.