Reverse Time Planning

I have a few backcountry hunts in Colorado under my belt. I am thinking of a blacktail or moose hunt in Alaska for 2016. What should I be doing and when? When is the best time to secure commercial airline tickets, bush plane reservations or vehicle rental, tags, location finding, gear finalizing and everything & anything else.

Craig4791

WKR
I would do it now. I booked my AK trip that I'm doing this year late last year (November) and we barely made it on the books. I'm sure it all depends on where your going but the sooner the better. Bush flight and any planning help is the main concern. I'd say you have plenty of time on the other items.

Craig4791

WKR
Caribou float hunt, 12 days of float hunting with two days extra on each end for travel and meat care, 5 of us going, around 100 miles of river to float, will rent U-Haul trucks to drive from the take out back to FB.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I get on the docket with the air transporters ASAP. Usually have my own gear and sometimes I wait less than a week before I go before buying my airline tickets to where I will be flying out with the transporter. The hard part IMO is getting the air taxi with a slot you would like to go and getting your gear and rafts and such there as well if you are needing those for you hunts. Airlines fly often and there are often web specials as well to keep an eye out for.

colonel00

WKR
Yup, I agree. Focus on the items with limited availability. In your case, the transporter. If you need a special vehicle rental for a hunt say up the Haul Road, then this would also be limited availability and something that would define your trip dates. On commercial airlines, you can often find deals but be aware that the cheapest flight may not be the cheapest for a hunt. I believe that Alaska Airlines is the only airline left that only charges $75 for the third checked bag and more. Most other airlines are $125-150 per bag. So, especially on your flight home when you could be bringing home a ton of meat, a slightly more expensive Alaska Airlines flight may be cheaper in the end.

For a blacktail hunt, I'd say you have plenty of time to reserve the bush flight... For a moose hunt, I'd get to booking sooner rather than later. Just my thoughts...

On my last few trips, I have been booking one way tickets to where I am headed and then purchase the return trip once the hunt is over and I am back at the airport or in town... It's been easier for us that way, so far.