Snatch video

Poser

WKR
That's a studly lift. Nice work. I'm pretty sure that would be a full/squat snatch though right?

Joe

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a "Squat Snatch" as "Snatch" involves a squat. A "Power Snatch" would not.
Basically, there are 2 kinds of Sntaches: A "Sntach" and a "Power Sntach"

Its really not that big of a deal, but you start talking about "Squat Snatches" and "Squat Cleans" in the company of Olympic lifters and you are likely to get corrected. Its akin to calling a ship a "boat" in the company of a sailor or calling a "magazine" a "clip" in the company of a gun snob.

Take-a-knee

Banned
That's a studly lift. Nice work. I'm pretty sure that would be a full/squat snatch though right?

Joe

I'd call it an 'tweener'. He went lower than what Rip would call a power snatch but that was not a full squat. Impressive lift nonetheless, and way ahead of anything I'll ever do. I'm sure he can oly snatch quite a bit more than that.

Nice job man. I think the badassnes of that lift may be lost on many because you made it look so smooth.

Technically speaking, there is no such thing as a "Squat Snatch" as "Snatch" involves a squat. A "Power Snatch" would not.
Basically, there are 2 kinds of Sntaches: A "Sntach" and a "Power Sntach"

Its really not that big of a deal, but you start talking about "Squat Snatches" and "Squat Cleans" in the company of Olympic lifters and you are likely to get corrected. Its akin to calling a ship a "boat" in the company of a sailor or calling a "magazine" a "clip" in the company of a gun snob.

I understand the difference... but if my question was "that would be a snatch" it would not have conveyed my question. I don't call them squat snatches unless I am around a bunch of crossfitters hahaha. Dont forget the worst of all snatches... the muscle snatch.

I just always have a tough time seeing the difference between what is a power and a regular snatch. Typically I only dip a few inches for "power" snatches and my feet end up flailing out to the sides much wider than when I squat. This makes it interesting when you miss the lift and have to bail... not good.

Joe

Poser

WKR
I understand the difference... but if my question was "that would be a snatch" it would not have conveyed my question. I don't call them squat snatches unless I am around a bunch of crossfitters hahaha. Dont forget the worst of all snatches... the muscle snatch.

I just always have a tough time seeing the difference between what is a power and a regular snatch. Typically I only dip a few inches for "power" snatches and my feet end up flailing out to the sides much wider than when I squat. This makes it interesting when you miss the lift and have to bail... not good.

Joe

We forgot the Split snatch, as well :p

Paused at second 27, looks like he hits a parallel position. I'm not sure what the Olympic definition is. Intuitively, it would seem that less than parallel would be a considered a power snatch and breaking parallel would be a snatch. Either way, I'll never be able to throw that much weight over my head. I'll be content with getting to a snatch = bodyweight. My 1RM snatch hasn't improved since Oct -kind of frustrating.

OP
S
Thanks honestly I'd say it's a tweener. I have snatched more and it was definitely a squat snatch. I'm almost 43 now and am starting to get to the point now where it takes 3 days to recover after going all the way to 100%.

Post up some other videos of yall lifting.

Take-a-knee

Banned
Intuitively, it would seem that less than parallel would be a considered a power snatch and breaking parallel would be a snatch. .

Rip says less a 90 degree knee angle = "power" IIRC. He also thinks most folks don't need to do oly lifts for general fitness and athleticism

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
Great lift. Snatch is super technical. As for the debate of squat snatch/power snatch. This debate never really existed (amongst the general population) until the crossftitters starting popping up. I believe that a lot of NEW cross fitters feel a "full squat" snatch or clean for that matter are somehow more difficult. I've had to correct three different guys I work with about this matter (two of whom own crossfit gyms on the side).

The full squat position is necessary to lift maximum weight because the lifter's hip drive/extension will only propel the weight so far. So if a lifter can "power clean" an enormous weight, meaning he receives the weight higher he's just flat out ridiculously powerful. A lot of football players are in this category.

When using lighter weights relative to ones max it's often difficult for this lifter to practice full and explosive hip extension if he has to receive the bar in a mandated full squat position. If you watch a lot of cross fitters (not all!) they will receive the bar around a quarter squat, then front squat and label it a squat clean.

Bottom line is a "squat clean was born out of necessity to receive max weights and the squat clean or snatch can be used with lighter weights to practice being in a full squat in that particular lifts "position" (hands over head for snatch or hands/arms in the front rack position for cleans, but only at the cost of not using full hip extension because the bar will fly too high. So basically if someone comes to me and says they have a max clean of "300" pounds I will assume their butthole was kissing the floor because they had to receive the bar so low or they received it high because they technically suck at cleans and can't get into a full squat yet. In the case of the latter they will be able to move a whole lot more weight once they learn the movement more and can receive the weight lower.

Take-a-knee

Banned
So if a lifter can "power clean" an enormous weight, meaning he receives the weight higher he's just flat out ridiculously powerful. A lot of football players are in this category.

That's Rippetoe's arguement. He thinks the power clean produces more functional capacity, especially early on. I dunno. Rip is a bit opinionated but his experience is hard to argue with.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
+takeaknee
I've listened to some of his stuff and he is knowledgable. He's very practical and typically keeps things simple. He is willing to go against the grain, especially since his parting from Crossfit.

OP
S
Why, do you need a good laugh?:)

NOpe I dont think it would be funny at all. Its all in what you can do. I dont put down or laugh at anyone because more than likely I cant do what your great at and vice-versa. I used to be great at lifting and now I just play around with it. I stink at body weight and cardio movements but I'm working towards september

WKR
costal:

What is your all time PR snatch? C&J?

I started training for WL last fall, and more seriously in January. Snatched 100 and C&J 122 so far. Another meet in 3 days will be the end of this "season" as I try to get some conditioning back for chasing elk.

OP
S
My all time best was 125 and 150. Neither one in a meet but just on a great day when I felt it. Best of luck to you. Careful on the lifting all those quads require way too muck blood and oxygen. I found out the hard way Yeah I could squat 235 but it was really really hard walking up and down for me.

Solution. 1/2 tsp of baking soda twice a day recipe is on side of box. It balances out your ph and no lactic acid build up.