AK Dall Sheep - How far out to Book?

Brendan

WKR
I'm considering a sheep hunt in 2017. Probably Alaska Dalls. I'll be turning 40 in August of 2017 (gasp) so I figure it's as good an excuse as any.

How far out would you pick an outfitter and put down a deposit?

Thanks!

wyosteve

WKR
I think it really depends on the outfitter you will use and his booking situation. If he's popular, sometime this year before the end of the year is when I'd book. That would be right before the big sport shows where they get a lot of business. As an example, the outfitter I hunted sheep with in Sept. 2014, was already booked for rifle elk hunters for '15 and '16, so the first chance a person would have to book would be '17.

204guy

WKR
I would figure out what type of hunt you want, rifle/bow, horse's/backpack etc. get it narrowed down to a half dozen outfitters or so and start calling. You may be surprised how far out some are booked. There is no way that the prices will go down, only up. I started casually looking at dall hunts in the fall of 2013, all of the outfitters that were on my short list are now $1,000 to $2500 more. I was able to book with an outfitter for 2016 for his 2013 price. As a side note their advertised prices are negotiable because of booking agents, by going directly through an outfitter and maybe offering cash you can save some money. If you know you want to go in 2017 I can't see a downside to booking right now. The possible exception to that would be if Alaska goes to draw for all nonresidents, and severely limits the tags in your booked area. Maybe try to get something in your contract that would require a refund of deposit if the regs change. I dunno just a thought.

Good luck

jherald

WKR
The better guides are usually booked out 2-3 seasons. It's possible to save money by getting on a cancellation list as well, but thats a big roll of the dice if your heart is set on a definite trip.

Like mentioned above, start calling around now.

Craig4791

WKR
You should have some options if you book now but expect them to start filling up the longer you wait.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Good advice, thanks everyone.

If I wanted to focus on a Backpack / fly in type hunt, figure up to 10-12 days of hunting, does anyone have specific AK outfitters/guides that they'd suggest (or avoid?). Also, while this is first and foremost a sheep hunt, having a chance at an opportunistic caribou if I tag out would be a great add on.

So, I know there's a thread on suggested NWT outfitters that I've read through, but what's the general view on an Alaska vs. NWT or BC hunt?

Happy to continue by PM as well - Thanks!

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
BC is more stone sheep. Look at the Yukon and NWT. Feel free to PM me as I've done a lot of research on NWT and Yukon.

idig4au

WKR
NWT has some fantastic dall sheep hunting. Nice to have the area to yourself, and typically get to look over a lot of rams rather than shoot the first legal sheep you see. You also get to pay substantially more for the this privilege!

The Chugach has some good genetics but you have to draw a tag with low draw odds. Would be a dream tag for me.

If I had choice between general areas in Alaska or NWT, I would personally choose NWT as I think a better hunt. I rebooked on the spot and going again this year to repeat the experience.

Average harvest age of sheep in the NWT is 10.5 yrs. In Alaska it's just 8.5 years. Average horn size is usually similar, but the sheep are certainly more mature in the NWT and the success rate is a bit higher. Also in the NWT you will very very little resident pressure and zero competing pressure from other guide outfits due to the guide use area system them have. Alaska is a bit more of a free-for-all, although there are certainly some top notch guides and sheep areas. As idig4au states... the NWT cost is typically higher, although the exchange rate may help a bit this year.

Yukon is another option worth looking at. Some classic horseback outfitters in the Yukon.

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Average harvest age of sheep in the NWT is 10.5 yrs. In Alaska it's just 8.5 years. Average horn size is usually similar, but the sheep are certainly more mature in the NWT and the success rate is a bit higher. Also in the NWT you will very very little resident pressure and zero competing pressure from other guide outfits due to the guide use area system them have. Alaska is a bit more of a free-for-all, although there are certainly some top notch guides and sheep areas. As idig4au states... the NWT cost is typically higher, although the exchange rate may help a bit this year.

Yukon is another option worth looking at. Some classic horseback outfitters in the Yukon.

Yk

Agreed, if I was forking out the money for a guided dall sheep hunt I would be looking very heavily into NWT or YT over Alaska. The numbers don't lie, bigger rams on average and certainly 25% older rams are the norm vs. what the average AK ram harvested is.

There are some real honey holes in Alaska. And if you look at the superslam ovis awards Alaska has dominated canada.

If It was me i would hunt in AK with a guide that hunted on private land or something that is pretty much private land.

Pm sent.

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I booked my NWT dall sheep hunt for 2017 almost a year ago. But that was because it is an archery hunt and the outfitter takes very few bowhunters each year. Like others said, if you book before all the trade shows begin this winter, you should have lots of options on outfitters, locations, hunt styles and dates.
Good luck!

Craig4791

WKR
I booked my NWT dall sheep hunt for 2017 almost a year ago. But that was because it is an archery hunt and the outfitter takes very few bowhunters each year. Like others said, if you book before all the trade shows begin this winter, you should have lots of options on outfitters, locations, hunt styles and dates.
Good luck!

Zack who did you book your archery NWT hunt with?

You going to be at the CA WSF show tonight?

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks everyone - a ton of great advice here, and thanks for the PM's for those that sent them. Time for me to start calling outfitters and get something booked before end of year!

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I booked over 2 years out for my 2007 hunt. Picking the right outfitter is the key. I lucked out and my outfitter gave me the 2005 price.
It also gave me more time to save for the hunt👊

waterrat

FNG
Yes Matt is real good for sure,,,

Whoever you choose it would be in your best interest if the outfiitter had a Federal Area,,, exclusive guide area, our one of the drawing area's. All of the rams I have posted picture's of were taken in Park Preserves and we hunted exclusively for BIG rams,,,.

Guides that are on open state land won't have the quality rams or numbers like a guide with an exclusive area with usually low quota's of animals taken.

There are some out of state guides operating here that are hell bent on shooting every sheep,bear, and moose in "their" area and then they change locations. Most of which are in the Alaska Range where there is very little controlled usage.
PM me if you'd like on your choosing's,, I've been hunting sheep a long time and will be in the Mtn's again this fall!