Rangefinding Binoculars

black525

WKR
Curious to see how many people are using rangefinding binoculars to bow hunt. Looking to upgrade my optics with my Cabela's points and was looking for opinions. I like the simplicity of having both in one unit, but I'm concerned it may be difficult to range targets that are in close quarters; both acquiring the target and not being detected.

charvey9

WKR
I've thought about it too, but I think it could be tough to range stuff in close quarters and thick cover with anything more powerful than a rangefinder.

bwlacy

WKR
I have some Leupold ones that are 8x and I really like them. I've had them for about 8 or 9 years now. Decent glass, really hard on batteries, no problems with close targets at all. Kind of bulky and heavy compared to standard binos. Not sure if they still make them, haven't looked on their website. I'll find out how I like them out west this fall. I really only used them around the Midwest for white tails, bow and rifle, from 30 yards to 400 no problems.

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see how many people are using rangefinding binoculars to bow hunt. Looking to upgrade my optics with my Cabela's points and was looking for opinions. I like the simplicity of having both in one unit, but I'm concerned it may be difficult to range targets that are in close quarters; both acquiring the target and not being detected.

There are some that are geared towards bow hunter like the new Leica Geovid HD-R.

Shrek

WKR
I stay away from combining them. Electronics go bad or become obsolete but fine optics can last decades. Many of the warranties are short for the rangefinder and may not be supported in the future. The rangefinder part goes and your left with expensive , bulkier , and overweight binoculars. Especially for archery id buy a compact and easy to use rangefinder and then some fine quality otics. Jmo..

Jon Pynch

FNG
Ive had the swaro el range and now have the leica hd-b's and will be carrying a separate rangefinder this year while bow hunting.

bohntr

WKR
lovdasnow:

Did you look at the HD-R's? The one think I hate about Leica is their advertising (or lack there of)......had no idea the HD-R line had angle compensating rangefinder built in until I asked what the difference was between the "B" and "R". Grrrrrrr

Whisky

WKR
2 or 3 years with a combo now. For rifle hunting it's awesome. For LR shooting it's awesome. For bow hunting, this year I'm leaning towards buying a compact handheld. It can be a pain at times, especially elk hunting it seems. .

Jon Pynch

FNG
I'm in the same boat as whisky. no, I didn't look at the hd-r because I wanted the the b's mainly for LR hunting. i'm just gonna take a leupold rangfinder along while bow hunting with me. I've been told their angle compensation is top notch, and perfect for bowhunting although I haven't spent much time with one.

hunting1

WKR
I have the Bushnell's and really like them for prairie dogs and rifle hunting, but at 10-power it is hard to use them 1-handed. I like a compact 8 power and range finder better for bow hunting. I carry a pair of Leupold switch power 7-12 and a 400 RF.

Wish the Bushnell's came in 8x32 for bow hunting. I had the Leupold version but was not happy with them.

WRO

WKR
I'm in the same boat as whisky. no, I didn't look at the hd-r because I wanted the the b's mainly for LR hunting. i'm just gonna take a leupold rangfinder along while bow hunting with me. I've been told their angle compensation is top notch, and perfect for bowhunting although I haven't spent much time with one.
I'd make sure to sight in your bow with the rangefinder you use, there are differences between models. For example we did some side by side testing at 50 yards, the leica, swaro, and zeiss all read 50, Bushnell was 52, the leupy at 54, and the vortex at 49.

whacker1

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Leica HD-B last year, and used them one handed for muzzleloader bull tag during the rut. I had no difficulty ranging one handed from 125 into about 15 yards. However, with that said. I can see where it would be preference to have a smaller unit. This only works for those that are right handed as the controls are on the right. I know a lefty that sold his for that reason.

The few reasons that i switched:
I went for the weight savings in not carrying 2 pieces of equipment. saves about 1/2 lb or a little more including batteries and cases of some kind.
I never found a comfortable and easily accessible place to carry the rangefinder if I was carrying the bino's on my chest. at least none that I preferred.
I was ready for both a glass upgrade and range finder upgrade and I was looking at spending the same or slightly more than buying all in one unit.

when it came down to crunch time, I ranged my bull 6 times with just my right hand as he was coming toward me from 125 into 80 yards. He turned broadside at 80, so i let one go at that point and no need to range any more.

one of the pros that doesn't get talked about. For long range application, I find it much easier to keep steady with two hands for target acquisition. I find a lot of times with the smaller 7 power magnification of my old Leica 800 and pushing the button with the right hand that it was difficult to stay on the target that you were ranging at 500 yards plus. The binos are easier to hold steady and acquire the range on the target and feel more confident in that range.

OP
B

black525

WKR
Thanks for the replies! The leica hd-b and new hd-r model with the range finder on the right side were at the top of my list. Are there any differences between the two other than the hd-b having a sd card and more rifle ballistic features?

OP
B

black525

WKR
2 or 3 years with a combo now. For rifle hunting it's awesome. For LR shooting it's awesome. For bow hunting, this year I'm leaning towards buying a compact handheld. It can be a pain at times, especially elk hunting it seems. .

Whisky, can you elaborate on what makes ranging elk more difficult to range while bow hunting with a combo unit?

Whisky

WKR
Whisky, can you elaborate on what makes ranging elk more difficult to range while bow hunting with a combo unit?
First let me say I've never rifle hunted elk. Only bow hunt. So with that said my elk hunting is in thick crap where 40 yard shots would be a long shot. Visibility is crap. I'm calling them. They come in unexpectedly. Shooting lanes are unknown. Its just a combo of things...... One specific example from last year was we were trying to locate a bulging bull and called in a cow behind us. Surprise. I dropped to my knees with bow in left hand trying to get a range with minimal movement. She would stare at me, and move, stare and move, slowly coming in. That bino got heavy. Ended up supporting it with a bow cam. A compact LRF is much easier to deal with at the time of a shot in a surprise situation. They are more stealthy IMO too. Or rather you are when trying to operate them.

When I'm deer hunting things are a little more controlled/slower then elk and i havent noticed it as much, yet..

OP
B

black525

WKR
Thanks Whisky. The stealthiness/lack there of and being able to range an animal quickly in close quarters are my biggest concerns going this route.

wapitibob

WKR
Thanks for the replies! The leica hd-b and new hd-r model with the range finder on the right side were at the top of my list. Are there any differences between the two other than the hd-b having a sd card and more rifle ballistic features?

Significant difference if you get the new -R, model 403. The early -R used a ballistics modified angle comp, the new -r uses cosine only. Same as the 1000r rangefinder.