Packable rain gear that's truly waterproof?

I recently bought a kryptek poseidon jacket. When it was brand new, I shower tested it and it worked perfectly. However after 2 months of light use and being stuffed in my pack, it's no kind of waterproof. Disappointment in the poseidon aside, are there any packable rain jackets on the market that are truly waterproof?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Best I have used thus far is Westcomb jackets with an eVent waterproof membrane instead of goretex. Fairly lightweight depending on the model 10-16 oz for a jacket. They breath better than goretex jackets I have tried atleast. The Kuiu Chugach was very good as well when I owned it before it died after 2 season of very hard use and thus far I am impressed with the First Lite Stormtight jacket as well but only have a couple very wet trips to Kodiak this spring to base it off of.

Lots of good options up there. But have yet to find anything that keep you 100% dry when hiking through wet alders in the pouring rain, but the above I mentioned have done the best out of a lot of jackets I have tried.

bhylton

WKR
^ rubber rain gear is about the only thing that will do that haha. I wonder if anyone uses custom Cuben poncho type jackets. They wont breathe but if you were not moving they might be alright?

mntnguide

WKR
First Lite Stormtight series has worked great for me...It was either on my saddle or on me for 60 days of summer pack trips last year, and i used it all fall guiding another 60+days. .It was a very wet year for us in Western WY last year, so i got to put it to the test a lot more than i was expecting to. It held up great and is in great shape for this year once again. really lightweight for both the jacket and pants together when in a pack as well.

charvey9

WKR
I've had good luck with both Sitka and KUIU rain gear. Are you sure your jacket is actually leaking, or are you just getting wet from the inside out from sweat and condensation. The latter is usually a problem with any type of rain gear, and the best defense is just layering down when you throw on the rain gear. If I'm moving I usually just wear it over my base layers, even in temps down in the 30's and wet heavy snow.

trekker9

FNG
I've had good luck with both Sitka and KUIU rain gear. Are you sure your jacket is actually leaking, or are you just getting wet from the inside out from sweat and condensation. The latter is usually a problem with any type of rain gear, and the best defense is just layering down when you throw on the rain gear. If I'm moving I usually just wear it over my base layers, even in temps down in the 30's and wet heavy snow.

Good advice.

OP
PathFinder
charvey9 I tend to do the same with my rain gear. The last time it leaked badly, I was sitting at a bench on the shooting range, not sweating at all. I'm going to shower test it again today.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the new Kuiu Chugach jacket since Christmas. No full on hikes/hunts with it yet, but I've put in hour+ city walks in the rain with it. Keeps the water out and is as breathable as any jacket I've ever owned. Good pit zips too.