Patagonia nano puff

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Hey just seeing if anyone is using the Patagonia nano puff pullover. I'm interested in maybe trying one out as part of my layering system. Especially in the early morning glassing sessions. Yay or nay?

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Yay!
I use the nano jacket and it is awesome. Primaloft is the best insulator. Very light weight and very warm. Best quality craftsmanship as well.

bhylton

WKR
I suppose for around 100$ its a good option. my fiance got a patagonia down puffy recently and it is junk. for the money, the down is poor (MAYBE 750 fill) and the seams are coming loose. seems like their quality has gone down a bit. But for that price, i like a primaloft jacket. Might be some other options worth exploring though. maybe Dotman will chime in on this one

OP
M

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
Ok for some reason I was thinking the nano puff was down. But I was wrong. Thanks Chem E. Interesting on the quality comment. Originally when I posted the question I was thinking a down sweater/ pullover as part of the layering system. I Am a fan of primoloft but kinda wanted to try down under my Kuiu SD. Any other options out there you would recommend taking a hard look at?

FreeRange

WKR
I have two down jackets I keep in rotation, one is pretty much the same fill weight as the Kuiu SD ( 2.5 oz) and one is 4.5 oz (Montbell UL Down Parka and Montbell Alpine Light Parka).

I originally thought about doing what you're talking about, supplementing the Montbell UL parka with additional down, if I were to go that route I'd look at Montbell's vest versions of the above jackets, both list around $120-135 and would be a good supplement. I ended up getting a great deal on the second parka though and paid significantly less so that's the route I took . Overall it's a little less weight for the same fill power. The vest would give you some flexibility but I find with down you either need all you got or none of it, I can't imagine ever hiking with any down insulation if temps are above 15 degrees.

dotman

WKR
I'm not looking to replace my puffy. Just looking at it as a lighter insulating layer. Possibly something to wear to bed. I guess an alternative to fleece?

I think it would be too warm if moving and if sitting I'd rather have a warmer one. I see what your thinking and maybe a insulated vest would work.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yay for sure.
Nano puffs are great, very light, I wear one almost every day. The shell is delicate and doesn't breath super well, but for adding insulation when you are sitting and sleeping they are awesome. Easy to layer under or over.
I have a nano puff vest, and like others mentioned, adding this to a puffy jacket works well to boost warmth.

OP
M

Mjm316

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be too warm if moving and if sitting I'd rather have a warmer one. I see what your thinking and maybe a insulated vest would work.

Thanks Dotman. I'm not a vest guy so I had not really considered one. I'll check into some vests. Any one have recommendations on light weight pack able vests to fit under a puffy coat?

mtnkid85

WKR
I LOVE my nanopuff. Almost live in it. Its a nice midweight insulation piece for really cold active days or its a nice piece to throw on while your inactive the rest of the time. If I feel Im going to want extra warmth on summer trips, its my go to piece. In the spring and early fall Ill take it and a Montbell UL down vest as my insulation layers.

It does not breath well, but its really not supposed to either, because it blocks the wind so nicely.

Ive been wanting to get my hands on the new Nano-air that they have been touting lately. Supposed to be similar, though slightly less warmth than the Nano puff and it breaths really well instead of blocks wind. So as a purely inner insulation piece, it sounds nice.

Last edited:

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
Ok for some reason I was thinking the nano puff was down. But I was wrong. Thanks Chem E. Interesting on the quality comment. Originally when I posted the question I was thinking a down sweater/ pullover as part of the layering system. I Am a fan of primoloft but kinda wanted to try down under my Kuiu SD. Any other options out there you would recommend taking a hard look at?

Marmot historically has the best quality down in their jackets, and they kind of monopolize the market by using large capital reserves to buy up all of the available 850+ down from suppliers. Their jackets are very nice.
Feathered Friends make some Really, Really nice down jackets as well. Very popular among Alaskans for a good reason!

topher89

WKR
I suppose for around 100$ its a good option. my fiance got a patagonia down puffy recently and it is junk. for the money, the down is poor (MAYBE 750 fill) and the seams are coming loose. seems like their quality has gone down a bit. But for that price, i like a primaloft jacket. Might be some other options worth exploring though. maybe Dotman will chime in on this one

Interesting opinion. We love Patagonia in my house. My wife just got the down sweater and loves it. It seems like a very high quality piece and I have been very happy with every Patagonia purchase I have made

I have a nano puffy and really like it. At first I was disappointed with it until I put it to use. Used it on a hike with the family on Sunday in a snowstorm with a short sleeve light weight merino and a long sleeve merino underneath and it blocked the wind and kept me plenty warm. It's in my pack whether I'm hiking or hunting, it's great and light weight.

duchntr

WKR

Patagonia has a lifetime warranty on all there stuff, Id send it back and they will repair or replace the jacket. My wife likes her down sweater but I cannot comment on the durability of it as she is easy on her stuff. And fwiw all the patagonia clothes I have hold up great to heavy use.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
The lifetime warranty is hard to beat. Last fall I sent in a 14 year old Patagonia rain coat that started to leak and a couple days later, I had a credit for $275.

Trial153

WKR
After learning about their support of various anti hunting organizations I longer patronize them, but the products I have had in the past have been excellent. My wife bought a Patagonia puffy for my son, he is four...it's excellent quality ...and most likely won't fit him next fall...

topher89

WKR
After learning about their support of various anti hunting organizations I longer patronize them, but the products I have had in the past have been excellent. My wife bought a Patagonia puffy for my son, he is four...it's excellent quality ...and most likely won't fit him next fall...

I would be interested to know what anti-hunting orgs they support. Because of their fly fishing line they do a lot around trout/salmon conservation and are very much against the sale of public land.