Dry Sack for Storing/Cooling Meat

What is the best dry sack for hauling/storing meat during the cooling process? In his "backcountry meat care" article, Aron mention using a eVent dry sacks or contractor bags to submerge the meat in creeks. I'm really curious about the eVent dry sacks because they could be used as a multi-purpose sack. What size dry sack would you guys recommend using to store meat, and how many will I need?

Terrapin

WKR
I haven't tried very many, but for hauling I like the meat sack from Stone Glacier. I'm not sure it would be classified as a true dry sack, about as waterproof as a pack, but it is light, and keeps blood from migrating.

For submerging meat we still use the orange bags that roadside trash picker uppers use... You might need to adopt a mile of highway to get the bags. They are tough and don't absorb sunlight as bad as black bags. Plus they can be fashioned into an emergency shelter.

For hanging and storing we use caribou or tag bags.

charvey9

WKR
Granite gear makes ultralight eVent roll top bags. Even their largest 20L sack only weighs .74oz. However, if you wanted to get all your meat in the water it would still take several bags. The cheap route is just a large contractor trash bag.

Beastmode

WKR
Just a thought but why not use contractor bags? I hang my meat in game bags while processing the remaining meat. Then if there is a creek near by cool it off in a contractor bag. Then the contractor bag goes in the pack and heads back to the truck.

Sea to summit and OR both make roll top silnylon pack liner/dry bags. Breathable bags to hang the meat, but use the drybags when the meat is in my pack or cooling in a creek.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
you'll get your core temps lower quicker if you separate the meat portions into multiple bags for immersion therapy. So, it depends on how long you have to submerge and how much depth you have for the meat bags. I usually use 3-4 bags for a caribou size pile of meat and 2 bags for a sheep size pile.

I agree with the orange DOT bags vs black contractor bags. Anything that reflects light vs absorbs heat would be more ideal.

larry

OP
ndbwhunter
It seems like the orange trash bags are the way to go. Does anyone have a good source for these? Everything that I've found online is in bulk quantites, and these things aren't exactly cheap. I certainly don't need 100 of them, so if you know where I can buy 10-20 of them that would be great.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just get yourself some white trash compactor bags. They're thicker than trash bags and white. That's what I put my meat bags in when I haul them.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a box of these 6mil bags after last season. They are 20" X 36" 6mil poly bags. The fit perfect in my DT1 pack with enough length on top after filled to put a zip tie around the top. If anyone wants any shoot me a pm I will get them to you for what they cost me plus shipping. Nice heavy weight bags that are the right size for packing my full Kifaru meat bag back to camp to put in the creek or back to the truck and on Ice.. Mark

OP
ndbwhunter
PM sent, archerm.

Thanks, 5MilesBack! I'm going to see if I can find a good compactor bag that's 3.5mil or thicker.

Scottiem

Lil-Rokslider
I personally have always used black contractor bags from walmart. The ones in that link I listed were just cause he was looking for orange bags. The orange may be more expensive, but they are thicker. 55 cents per bag vs. 90 cents per bag (including shipping). 2mil vs 3mil. I guess if you really want orange, $40 is a small investment to take care of your meat. Besides if you only use it for hunting, you've got years worth of bags.

PAXMAN

FNG
Outpost research durable dry sack is what I have used. 35L is about 2100 cubic inches. They have loops on the sides and are very tough.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I wish they made contractors bags in white vs black. Years ago I'd get clear airline bags for backpacks and carseats...but i lost my contact so i'm back to contractor bags. oversized and heavy duty.

I've tried various drybags thinking I'd designate that bag for immersion in the field, but after i observed the condensation happening inside the bag from the meat warmth cooling...it didn't make sense to spend money on a wet bag regardless. Save your coin and try the contractor bags. Meat will sweat anyway and require drying after immersion, so what's the point?

lb

Take-a-knee

Banned
Many seem confused between "contractor" and "compactor" bags. Two totally different products. IME, the white COMPACTOR bags, designed to line a mechanical kitchen trash compactor are more durable, and are more appropriately sized to line a pack. Plan on twisting the top tight and folding it over into a "candy cane" and securing it with zip ties or duct tape to totally seal it.

Stid2677

WKR
Meat care during warm weather remote trips is a complex task, it takes constant monitoring and daily attention. There are no MAGIC bags to keep the meat. Keeping meat for a week or more with warm afternoons is a challenge, the key is clean, cool and dry.

Last fall was the hottest I have seen during sheep season. I had to take the meat and place it in the river each day during the heat of the day, this served to both cool the meat and protect it from the flies that were thick. As Larry said it will condense and get wet, I would just remove it after the flies went to bed and would let it hang with no bags at night and made sure to have it bagged up before the flies returned.

Used a thermometer to make sure core temps stayed in the 40s.

I make sure to NEVER let river water make contact with my meat, jut used to cool the meat.

P8140268_zpsa25887f9.jpg

P8140267_zps5d5f586f.jpg

P8110170_zpsab8d2b81.jpg

Water levels can rise so always tie it off.

P8110168_zps379392f4.jpg

IMGP4295_zps16942e51.jpg

I always wash and reuse my bags, I like to wash the blood out and let the bags dry while the meat airs out.

P9060739_zps2ed0cfc1.jpg

P9060510_zps7c4c60c1.jpg