Goat Hunt Opportunity in BC

Longbow42

FNG
While talking to a highly recommended outfitter about an archery moose hunt in British Columbia in 2017, he presented me with a very intriguing opportunity. His area borders the Yukon and much hasn't been hunted for many years. He has an area that he wants explored and scouted for mountain goats. I would be with my bow and a guide. We would be flown in for an 11 day hunt. We will only have our packs to hold all of our needs for the almost two weeks. The area is thick with a light trail to the top of the mountain that overlooks where they believe the goats are present and killed 15 years ago. Flights over show many game trails and my guide walked to the top last year and said it was littered with goat droppings. They did not walk down to the other side though which is opposite of where the goats should be, though they could be on the other side of the first mountain as well. That's where he is unsure of the ability to get down to the goats, but believes there is a way as the indian guide did it. Altitude is relatively low in the area; 3000-4500'. The climbs over the mountains in search of the goats, which is a whole another challenge. 10 years ago I would be all over this but now not being a spring chicken, a little worried about my bodies ability to get through it. I want to go badly as it would be a great adventure but a very, very demanding and tough one. I'm 52 yrs old and in good physical shape overall but not goat shape yet?? The guide has been very straight forward and set proper expectations for an adventure like this as it could be just an expensive camping trip. Outfitter is Jake Gunson. We have spoken numerous times and he has also sent me topo locations to get an idea.

The cost is relatively low with an additional harvest fee if successful. Plane ride in is $1500 and rest is just food and guide fees. There is also a moose harvest fee if I run into a good one. I do know that last time it was hunted 15 years ago by an indian guide and he took a goat every time he went with a rifle for 3 years. I am a bowhunter, so would use that.

I would need to get me a good pack. I have good clothing from Kuiu and Sitka that would work well. I am leaning towards going as this will most likely me my last opportunity for a trip like this. I do have bad knees from my previous basketball career, but could probably get through it.

wyosteve

WKR
I'll throw in my .02. I'd go for it as long as the guide is willing to hike/climb on your terms. By that I mean, if you need to go slower or take a break, the guide should honor that need. If you're able to go at your own pace, you should be able to make it without too much difficulty.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
GO! You will get through it, it will be fun and you most likely will get a shot at a goat. Goats are plentiful in that part of BC and its really not that difficult to access them.

Go for the goat! Use the hunt as motivation to get into better shape before going. Look at it as an adventure rather than a goat collecting mission that is a failure if you don't score. Hiking poles help the knees, use them. As per killing a moose, packing one very far is a huge undertaking! Good luck on the "adventure".

Craig4791

WKR
I would go. Great reason to kick it into high gear and get in the great shape your talking about. Just be safe so you can come back and do it again!

charvey9

WKR
I would go if you can afford it and trust the outfitter with that story. If it is true, the opportunity to hunt an area that hasn't been touched in 15 years is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'm jealous.

tuffcity

WKR
His area looks close to an area I hunted (crap!) about 18 years ago- Toad River country. Once you get out of the valley bottom and above tree line the going shouldn't be too bad. We founds lots of bowls and more rolling type terrain than cliff. We were chasing sheep but my cousin took a beautiful 10" billy near the end of our trip. Took us 2 full days to canoe (more lining than paddling) up the river and hike into the alpine and about 10 hours to get out! River had come up a bit. :)

52 is a number, not a state of mind :) I rolled over 53 this past Monday and will be chasing Dalls and possibly bighorns this fall- go and see some beautiful country and live!

RC

OP
L

Longbow42

FNG
Thanks! I think I'm going to do it. Can also take a moose if we run into one near the lake. Will be a little before the rut but may catch the beginning. Hunt is from 9/4-16.

OP
L

Longbow42

FNG
Thanks. I am doing it. Started light hikes of 4-6 miles without a pack. Need to find a good pack. May just get me a nice backpacking pack like the Osprey Aether 70, as most like;y won't need it after this hun and don't want to drop $600 on a good hunting pack. I will have a guide, so If everything comes together, he will be able to help pack it out as well.
Even set to get some of the newer synovial fluid injections in my knees that I have been putting off. I work out regularly and have been relatively the same weight since my pro ball days, except less muscle. I'm very tall and slim.

Shrek

WKR
If you are very tall you may have a long torso. You need to measure it because most of the big box packs are going to top out at around 22" or less. When trying it on you need to load it up with the weight you expect to carry and see if it is cutting into your shoulders. Google torso measuring and find out what you have for lenght.

bcimport

WKR
You should do it. Focus on absolute necessities only in your pack and be ready to hike hard, bushwack the alders and cross water. Could be the trip of a lifetime, amazing country up there.

OP
L

Longbow42

FNG
Well, my hunt is getting closer. Leave on September 2 for Ft. Nelson. I am feeling pretty good about my conditioning. Besides the usual weights and stairclimber, been doing 3-6 mile hikes with a 40 pound pack a few times a week. Have all the required gear and clothing. Bow is shooting well. Also had the Synvsk injections in my one knee a few weeks back. Should be a great adventure and might even get lucky and get a shot at a goat. Will also have a moose tag, but only plan to use it if I get and opportunity at one bigger than my last 52" bull. I'll let you know how I do if I survive. Good luck to all of you and be safe.

Decker9

WKR
There's no hunt like a mountain goat hunt, just got back from a sheep hunt up that way. Two more goat hunts to go in sept and oct. Be sure to post up some photos!! Good luck, be safe, cheers!

RdRdrFan

WKR
Well, my hunt is getting closer. Leave on September 2 for Ft. Nelson. I am feeling pretty good about my conditioning. Besides the usual weights and stairclimber, been doing 3-6 mile hikes with a 40 pound pack a few times a week. Have all the required gear and clothing. Bow is shooting well. Also had the Synvsk injections in my one knee a few weeks back. Should be a great adventure and might even get lucky and get a shot at a goat. Will also have a moose tag, but only plan to use it if I get and opportunity at one bigger than my last 52" bull. I'll let you know how I do if I survive. Good luck to all of you and be safe.

Well.....how did it go?

Hunt365

FNG
I'm also very interested in hearing how this adventure turned out, please share the story.