Haul Road 2016

Boddy1

FNG
A few buddies of mine want to go to Alaska on the cheap next summer to hunt caribou. We are thinking about flying in to Fairbanks, renting a truck and hunting off of the Haul road. This will be an archery hunt. Our thought is to go in August. Is that a "good time" to go?

Any suggestions would be great. I think I've read just about every thread there is.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Renting a truck that is "allowed" on the haul road is fairly expensive and they book up quick. I know of people who have circumvented thier rental agreements and been ok but that wasn't for me. Fuel can add up quick too. Late Aug early Sept is typically considered best. I looked into this same thing last year but had a couple buddies back out when it was time to put the money up. I'm still going but flying out with 70 North. In the end it's only slightly more money but should have much higher chance of a caribou.

colonel00

WKR
There are a few threads in this forum addressing this. I have rented from GoNorth a couple times. Rates are decent and the trucks hold up great. Book Early!!! I have been at the end of August and mid September. I would suggest around the last week in August.

OP
B

Boddy1

FNG
Colonel00 did you hunt off of the Haul road? Have any luck?

westtrout

FNG
As for rentals, I priced out a few options this year. Of the three quotes I received, (Go North, Alaska Auto Rental, and Arctic Outfitters), Go North was the most reasonable at $1600 for a 10 day rental at the end of Aug./early Sept. The other quotes were over $2000. I received these quotes a couple weeks ago, so you should be OK to book next spring if you go that route, but I wouldn't wait too long. Good luck.

colonel00

WKR
Bobby, I will post more when I have a chance. One point on GoNorth, you get 100 miles for each rental day. You will need probably 1200 miles to make it up and back so prepay for the extra miles. I'm not sure how the other companies charge for mileage.

Also, I know it sounds early but firm up your dates as best you can and book in the fall. When I have dealt with GoNorth, they are often booking up a year in advance. That doesn't mean that you can't find what you need from them but you may not get the dates you want. Vehicle rental will define your trip dates more than anything else so the earlier you decide and book, the better.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go North also gives a discount if payed in full before the first of the year. Mileage is what can get you. Also remember Alaska requires bow certification

OP
B

Boddy1

FNG
After some discussion and looking at pricing we may do a drop camp or a float trip.
If you have any pros vs cons of each option I'd love to hear it.

1. Driving Haul Road
2. Drop Camp
3. Float Trip

Thanks for your input. I signed up for a bowhunter certification class.

If you just want to see AK and possibly not have a chance at some Bou, then do the haul rd as it's the cheapest option.

If you want to see AK and have an awesome hunt with the high probability of taking a few Bou, do a fly out, likely the most expensive option.

I have never done a float hunt for Bou and likely never will, but I am sure it would be fun and no doubt much better than the road!

Gwoodak

FNG
I would opt for the fly in drop hunt. Being able to determine where the herd is from the air will allow you a better oportunity to set up ahead of the herd. Not to mention the air transporter will be able to give you much better info on where the bou have been and where they will likely go. Personally I wouldn't invest the time and effort into a float hunt for just Caribou. A combo (moose/bou bou/bear moose/bear) would be a better use of the time and money you'll have to lay down for a float.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Alaskas-Rivers-Revised-Edition/dp/0916771776

I know guys who have been dropped off and not seen any caribou the whole time. Thier air charter wouldn't/couldn't move them. The nice thing about driving the haul road, is if you aren't seeing 'bou you can move yourself.

We did this last fall. Rented a truck from Alaskan rentals $2500 with milage plus $1000 fuel. Buy a couple extra fuel cans and fill them up in Fairbanks. Fuel is almost $10 a gallon in Purdoe bay. Top everything off in Cold foot. We pack rafted up a couple tributaries. Way fun, saw several wolfs and grizzle bears. Could have shot at least one wolf but the season wasn't open yet. We went the first 2 weeks of Aug which was a major mistake. Way too early last year, bugs where something from a horror flick. Make sure you're protected from head to toe. I know of guys getting major discounts on flights if you stop and ask with CASH. Have fun, take a Good camera.

We are going back this year Mid Aug and flying out on a float plane. I'm taking my old man so couldn't do the rafting bit again. I think this is a better plan anyways. You cannot hike into caribou if they're not around. You need to get into the herd and flying is the Best way if you aren't lucky when they're crossing the haul road. Although, there were plenty along the road but mostly young bulls and cows. Be ready for combat archery hunting as many people sit and wait on the road and rambo roll out in front of a crossing herd.

amp713

WKR
I was quoted 3600 i think for a dropped in/floatable trip for bou from gothunts I dont remember all the details but they set you up at camps with flag poles of sorts, once you needed something packed out or taken care of you flew a certain flag, another flag was come get me and similar things. I dont remember all the specifics but it sounded like a fairly cool way to do it. I asked one of the consultants (Marc i think) what he thought about me hiking away from camp, he said most guys doing this type of hunt probably wouldnt venture more than a mile or two from camp so if i was willing to do it I may have good success. I called over a year ago so alot may have changed but it was something I was debating on persoanlly.

Take-a-knee

Banned
cheap head net off STP, worked ok, those mofos are agro up there and made it into any brief or tiny opening.

A GI "Boonie" flop hat works good for a headnet, the brim keeps the net away from your skin. I sewed a pocket on the inside of the hat to store my headnet.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
shit men, i wouldnt rent a Go North truck IMO. U-haul all the way. $30/day plus mileage, cant beat it. Even with mileage you're talkin maybe 500 miles each way ($800). Saves you at least $500 of what others charge. Just wash it well before taking it back to FBKS.

Just a thought.

Als, if you're just wanting to down a couple of bou, take a packraft or two and hunt the road system, cross the Sag at various points near where the caribou are crossing and you'll be all alone on the east side of the river off the road and away from road warriors. Best "drop camp" approach for the money IMO.

Undoubtedly you'll learn a lot from your first hunt up North, so my opinion is to make it the least costly the first goround and bust it out effectively.

LB

colonel00

WKR
shit men, i wouldnt rent a Go North truck IMO. U-haul all the way. $30/day plus mileage, cant beat it. Even with mileage you're talkin maybe 500 miles each way ($800). Saves you at least $500 of what others charge. Just wash it well before taking it back to FBKS.

Just a thought.

Als, if you're just wanting to down a couple of bou, take a packraft or two and hunt the road system, cross the Sag at various points near where the caribou are crossing and you'll be all alone on the east side of the river off the road and away from road warriors. Best "drop camp" approach for the money IMO.

Undoubtedly you'll learn a lot from your first hunt up North, so my opinion is to make it the least costly the first goround and bust it out effectively.

LB

I have debated the U-haul option over and over. The drive on the Haul Rd isn't that bad at all, at least when I've been on it. Drive smart and you should be fine. However, I still struggle with the "what if" if something should happen and I am stranded up there and U-haul gives me the finger and I am on my own. For those that live up there, you have local friends that could come to the rescue. Tougher for a non-res. Still, worth considering.

Another point is the U-haul may be viable if just two guys are going but may not be the best for a larger group of 3+. That would be a rough ride for 12 hours in the back of a van.

I definitely agree that you can do the hunt on the cheap from the road and just use rafts to get away from the road across the Sag. Our first trip we were as green as we could be and we still managed to stumble into bou in bow range.

I put off the trip I had wanted to do this year for bou as I have plenty of other things to keep my busy but it is definitely on my list for 2016. So, if anyone is looking for someone to split some costs, let me know. I now have two of Larry's wonderful PR-49's so I could definitely help out on that end too.