Article: Maximizing Muzzleloader Accuracy with Peep Sights, by Jim Carr

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

It's Weapons Month on Rokslide!

I first met Jim Carr over the phone when he called my scouting service back in 2008, looking for a job. I've only met a few guys who know enough country and units to justify hiring and Jim was one of those guys. There was hardly a unit in Idaho I could ask him about that he didn't have plenty of knowledge on.

Working with Jim for a few years, I also came to realize what a knowledgeable and effective hunter he was. Jim hunts with all weapon types and is in-the-know when it comes to maximizing muzzleloader accuracy. For Rokslide's Weapons Month, Jim submitted this good article on peep sights. I think you'll find it very helpful

Maximizing Muzzleloader Accuracy with Peep Sights

attachment.php

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
I be heard a lot of good about peep sights but I still don't get the theory... Can someone explain how they are more accurate? Im totally interested in trying one out.

Craig - With a peep sight, the peep is typically relatively close to your eye. Your eye tends to naturally center the front sight (usually a bead) in the center of the peep. The peep sight has a circular shaped opening or aperture. So you more or less have a concentric circle pattern when the front bead is centered in the peep. It takes a little getting used to as the peep will be a rather blurry sight picture but the eye tends center the bead within the blurry peep sight picture.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a Williams peep Which has a pretty small hole, mounted as far back as possible.When I look threw it I all that I notice is the front sight and it is always centered in the peep with out thinking .The sight picture is actually very clear more so with the tight fiber optic front sight as I don't have to search with my eye for the tip of a non contrasted front sight.I think if you are trying to center the front sight in the the peep your vision will be more distorted and you may have more alignment problems than if you just focus on front sight to target.The reason more accurate is the natural better sight alignment (more consistent with a traditional rear sight you have to pay attention to both front and rear and fit the front to exactly the same place every time .In looking at the rear sight your hole sight picture takes up a lot more of your target making it harder to pick a more precise spot.

mac87toy

FNG
I am super stoked to see this article. I have been fallowing the advise of Mr. Denning and purchased a muzzleloader this spring with the hopes I can draw a good deer and elk tag by being versatile in my weapons selection. I shoot a bow a LOT and am very comfortable with a peep sight style set up and plan to upgrade my ML with a williams peep also. Thanks for bringing the ML info to us!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey mac87toy, you're going to like the muzz world. Just give yourself plenty of time for tuning/sighting etc. Muzz's take some time but are very rewarding when it all comes together.

We're here if you need us.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
That was a great read, can't wait for the second part! I have a Knight Disc Extreme and am looking into getting a peep sight setup, what rear peep sight are you running on your muzzy Jim? An adjustable peep like that is what I'd like to get, would what you have work on my disc extreme being that it is a bolt action? Anyone that knows can chime in please, thanks!

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I too am looking forward to the second half of this article. I use pretty much the same set ups with my Knight MK-85s.
Nice Buck Jim! Congratulations on your success with a Muzzleloader

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank's.I use the Williams adjustable peep sight with adjustment knobs which allows me to easily change my zero in the field.William's should have a sight for your knight.

Jim, I really enjoyed your article and I would agree with you all day that the peep is a huge asset versus the conventional buck-horn open site.

I have used the Williams FP site on many different rifles. I am so scope inclined I really do like the adjustment 1/4 min clicks the site offers.

One thing I have done also is change out the front sight to a Williams Streamlined ramp - install a fiber optic sight and then cover the sight with a Fire Sight Hood... Again this helps me think/visualize that I am shooting 1x power scope.

This is what my front sight looks like

So with this in combination with the peep sight when look down the barrel I see the outline of the hood with a dot in the middle of the hood. With this set-up and using a 6 o'clock hold on the target - I feel pretty darn comfortable to 150 yards on a Palouse Prairie Whitetail. And even farther on a big bodied elk.

Besides the Williams FP, which I feel is one of the most versatile peep sites, I have begun using a NECG peep installed on a Weaver style scope block.

This peep certainly is not as convenient to sight in but really is an aid to me to be able to remove it and install a regular scope for the regular rifle season here in Idaho. I very seldom use my center fire rifles any longer. So with the ability to thumb screw the NECG off the scope block and drop the a scope on I feel I get the advantage of having two different rifles. I restricted use Idaho ML and a modern inline for use during the regular rifle season.

Again a great read - your article with pics was something I believe more hunters should take advantage of.

thanks - mike

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
Jim I have Williams FP sights on both of my MK 85s I do not have the target knobs. Do you find them useful or once you are set up leave it alone.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sorry for the delay I had a lot come up the last couple months.The second part should be up soon.I love the target knobs as they allow me to do field adjustments quickly.