0 Degree Bag Suggestions

Shrek

WKR
Western Mountaineering Kodiak. Listed at 2lbs 15 oz. I haven't weighed mine but it's an incredibly warm and roomy bag. Made in the USA and is as good a bag as is made.

I was just going to do a thread asking the same thing. My only problem is I have champagne taste and a beer wallet. I would love to hear what has worked for guys and what has not. What can a guy plan on spending to get a lighter small quality 0* bag? Any suggestions?

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Might want to check out the marmot lithium long. I've never used it but I've used marmot in the past and they are good bags. New ones have that down defender treatment.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got a Big Agnes Storm King 0 degree bag. Little over three pounds but has the pad pocket, pillow pocket and treated down. Plenty warm for me. I'm looking at a Western Mountaineering bag for 35-40 degree kind of weather and weight savings.

I was just going to do a thread asking the same thing. My only problem is I have champagne taste and a beer wallet. I would love to hear what has worked for guys and what has not. What can a guy plan on spending to get a lighter small quality 0* bag? Any suggestions?

I was in a similar position and had it down to either an EE quilt or Marmot bag. Marmot is known for their generous shoulder cut, which would be really nice. Since I was recently given my dad's -40 deg down bag I am thinking about a 20 deg EE quilt for trips where snow isn't expected.

jm1607

WKR
WM, Kifaru, & EE are my suggestions.. I think Kifaru is a little heavier but the other 2 have sub 3# options

DaveC

WKR
Anybody suggest a 0 degree long/tall bag that weighs less than 3 pounds???

Western Mountaineering; Kodiak if you're linebackeresque, Antelope MF for normal folks. Snugger bags are warmer, all things equal. WM is a big upfront investment, but with reasonable care they last a very long time. My Antelope is 12 years old with hundreds of nights in the field and works like brand new so long as I wash it every other year.

Might want to check out the marmot lithium long. I've never used it but I've used marmot in the past and they are good bags. New ones have that down defender treatment.

I have the Marmot Never Summer 0 Degree Bag. Weighs under 3lbs and packs down incredibly well. Picked it up on sale at REI last weekend for $230! Combined with an REI pad and seat to summit aeros pillow (UNBELIEVABLE) I sleep like a king back in the country.

Shrek

WKR
A word of warning. I had a real bad experience with a Marmot bag rated at 20* and I was cool at 45* and was back at my truck sleeping in the front seat at 37*. If it doesn't have a European comfort rating then add 20* minimum to the rating. Western Mountaineering was worth every penny I paid and I'm now a customer for life. My only regrets are that I didn't buy one the first round and that I judged what to buy based on past experience. I have way too much bag for most conditions I will ever camp in. I plan on adding a Terralite to my Kodiak for earlier season. Western mountaineering ratings are very conservative so don't buy too much bag.

bobhunts

WKR
I will second the Marmot Plasma. They are not making them anymore so if you want one find one soon. Outdoor gear lab has some good test results to look at. No chance to offer real life results..( just got it) but based on what I read and a friend that has three of them in different temp ratings I could not find a lighter bag with dry down. Good enough for me. I also looked at Western Mountaineering ( no dry down there ) but one very nice bag and you can actually get more down at a price so that is certainly one top tier bag to consider. Second choice would be the Kuiu 0 bag. Not much heavier. No bad reviews that I have seen. Fathers day is a good time to look at that one if the do the normal sale.

tttoadman

WKR
I also got the Marmot never summer bag rated at 0deg. I froze my ass off at 20deg with all my merino on. It was great for the price, but I will upgrade to a better bag sometime.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the Marmot Plasma. They are not making them anymore so if you want one find one soon. Outdoor gear lab has some good test results to look at. No chance to offer real life results..( just got it) but based on what I read and a friend that has three of them in different temp ratings I could not find a lighter bag with dry down. Good enough for me. I also looked at Western Mountaineering ( no dry down there ) but one very nice bag and you can actually get more down at a price so that is certainly one top tier bag to consider. Second choice would be the Kuiu 0 bag. Not much heavier. No bad reviews that I have seen. Fathers day is a good time to look at that one if the do the normal sale.

I have the kuiu 15 bag and it's a really good bag. Slept in it down to the teens without any extra clothes and was toasty, but I'm a warm sleeper. Like WM they are pricy though.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have the 20 Marmot Plasma and love it. I am currently looking for a 0* bag myself. I think the Plasma is discontinued because it has no H2O proofing on the down. WM bags have got my attention too..

Just a thought, and directed at no one in particular...

I'm amazed at how much total money many of us expend on our hunting gear....clothing, weapon, optics, shelters, packs, etc. Easily into the thousands of dollars. Considering that 1/3 of any hunt is spent recovering/resting/sleeping, it just seems like good solid logic to buy the very best sleeping bag, pad etc you can afford. How well you sleep can certainly have an impact on how well you hunt. I don't advocate that high price tags automatically mean high quality, but the reverse is sometimes true. There's nothing wrong with saving a buck, but it pays to be sure your bag will exceed your typical needs. There will come a time (if you spend enough time out there) when you'll zip in and know you're about to be tested. Get a good one.

Just a thought, and directed at no one in particular...

I'm amazed at how much total money many of us expend on our hunting gear....clothing, weapon, optics, shelters, packs, etc. Easily into the thousands of dollars. Considering that 1/3 of any hunt is spent recovering/resting/sleeping, it just seems like good solid logic to buy the very best sleeping bag, pad etc you can afford. How well you sleep can certainly have an impact on how well you hunt. I don't advocate that high price tags automatically mean high quality, but the reverse is sometimes true. There's nothing wrong with saving a buck, but it pays to be sure your bag will exceed your typical needs. There will come a time (if you spend enough time out there) when you'll zip in and know you're about to be tested. Get a good one.

Agree, and I feel the same way about weight when it comes to your sleep system, however there are diamonds in the rough and there are also plenty not worth what they cost. It is a delicate balance of weight, performance and cost. My buddy, granted he is a warm sleeper, has been very comfortable in a $25 synthetic 30deg into the teens. My dad took the approach you suggested back in the 70s when he thought he was going to be living out of his sleeping bag after getting a degree in forestry he got a Class-5 Mountaineering Equipage -40 down bag, which was probably more than he could afford; it's still a great cold weather bag today, however major overkill for 90% of what I do. I would like an affordable (around $300) bag for everyday use that is lighter and keeps my warm in undies and a t-shirt down to 30 and 20 with a few layers of clothes. I am leaning towards a 20deg EE quilt to accomplish this, but for others their needs and wants may be way different. I advocate really 2 sleep systems for CO at least: one for below 20 and one for above. The problem is that here you can never plan on weather as any night can drop below freezing at altitude even in the middle of July. So threads like this are necessary as even the best companies make bad gear and "cheap" companies can make great gear. Some are cold in Marmot's bags due to their generous shoulder cut, but at the same time there are plenty of us big guys that appreciate it. WM makes a great bag, but whether it's worth the cost will be more of a personal decision. Personally, I can't see how guys spend $2500 on swaro binos, but at the same time those same guys wouldn't understand how I could go with $150 Nikon Pro Staffs; it all depends on how you use your gear on whether a premium product is worth it.

Curtis C

WKR
hold "ALT" then 0176 on numeric pad = ° :)

If you are going to buy a quality bag(Montbell, WM, EE,Etc) make sure you need the rating you buy. I cant sleep in my 5° WM bag during a typical CO rifle season unless its unzipped a fair amount.