Hunting Clothes-Tall Sizes

BigDog00

WKR
I've seen a lot of posts about new clothing and it doesn't seem like anyone is really carrying tall sizes (I'm talking actual tall sizes, not 34" inseams). I'm 6'7" with a 36" inseam and 215 lbs. Its almost impossible to find decent length that fit right. I figured we could start a thread to list out some companies that aren't as familiar as some other to help guys find what their looking for. I'm currently using some old Core4Element stuff I got off of CamoFire.com and I really like their stuff but it is slightly short.

Core4
Switchback Pants-36.5" inseam, but only in 32-36 waists (waist seems to run a size small)
Highline Pant- same as Switchback

I wear the Switchbacks in a 38" waist and they are about 1.5" too short.

Sitka
Their tall is 34" inseam

Kryptek
They carry tall sizes to 35"

Kuiu
Inseam can be let out to increase from 34" to 35" (on Attacks)

Cabelas
They use to have unheeded to 37", but I believe its now 35.5"

Carries an assortment of different pants in solid colors and some camo. Most come in 36" lengths and some unheeded.

Kuhl
Assortment of different pants in longer inseams. All solid colors, but very popular.

Eddie Bauer
They have their Mountain Ascent pant that are very popular (34" inseam I believe)…I tried them on (emphasis on tried) and they felt like I was trying to squeeze into pants for a 10 year old girl. They were way too tight in the thighs and I apparently have a big arse. For reference, most people say I'm really skinny and need a couple cheese burgers.

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot off this list, but I want other to post what they've found. This will just get us started for now.

MP.hunter

FNG
I am 6'6" 205/36 inseam and 36 waist. I just got a pair of Kryptek in 35" and they work pretty well, maybe just a shade short. I am also looking at the core4, which I like the fact come in a 36" inseam.
I tried on Sitka before and that was a laugher.

swNEhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd like to hear people's experiences with shirt brands as well, both lengths in the sleeves and torso. There's nothing more annoying than a base layer or any shirt riding above belt line while hunting.

I a 6' 5" 230 with a 34 inseam and 34-36 waist. Most of my height is in my torso, so pants aren't a huge deal for me. The Kuiu Tiberons that I just got seem long enough and will certainly be long enough when you consider that I wear 8" boots when hunting. I really wish I could find hunting company that offered tall shirts/coats.

Sitka:
The stuff that I have tried on are laughably short, so I don't even bother to give them a shot anymore.

Kuiu:
Often right on the border of fitting me. The 185 zip fits me well, but as a base layer it's supposed to be long and therefore probably not long enough to stay tucked. The Tiberon is probably a half inch too short for me as an outer layer, certainly wouldn't work as a base. Think I may just be sticking to pants from them.

Cabelas:
Tall stuff fits me well, but they don't offer any of the camo stuff in tall, at least that I have seen; plus their patterns are far too dark for CO.

Icebreaker:
I have heard that their stuff is cut longer and they do offer a very few 200 weight RealTree items in tall on the Sierra TP website. Have a base layer (200 top and bottom, non-tall) sitting at STP waiting for me to pick it up, so will update soon.

Columbia:
They often have great deals on tall stuff directly from them, well sized but not very athletically cut (bulky in the torso).

First Lite:
I look forward to giving them a try as I have heard that their stuff is generous in length. As an added advantage, available at some local retailers.

Eddie Bauer:
I plan to check out their down soon available in tall sizes, will update once I do.

Would love to know about Kryptek and Core4. One last mfg that I have heard is cut long, but no camo and WAY too expensive is Arc'teryx. So expensive that I'm afraid to try anything on in fear that I will fall in love and have to get a second mortgage. I mean $850 insulated jacket; wow...

Nathan

FNG
I'm 6'5" ~300 40in waist and 36" inseam.

My first non carhartt pants that I used for hunting, they are long 'enough'. The older ones that actually have a regular button to close them, are my favorites, they're bomb proof. I have a newer pair that the elastic in the waist does nothing and are cut similar to jeans my fiance wears. A little heavy when wet, get real stinky, but I'm fairly certain could handle a .410 shot to the thigh.

kryptek

I got the (38T) valhalla (sp?) a couple weeks ago. Freaking love them, wore them for 4 days of trout fishing and turkey hunting in the mountains of western VA. Couldn't have more good things to say. Fit is great, length is about half an inch shorter than what I'd prefer, fabric is quick drying and tougher than I was expecting, poly and spandex. Pocket placement is great. I'm not sure how they would hold up brush busting, but I gave $25 on Midway for them. Would pay full price.

First Lite

XL Kanabs - Decent. Length is so so. If the fit in the waist and crotch were different I don't think they would ride up as bad when sitting on the ground. When I sit against a tree these pants come above my 10" boots. I think the new kanabs fix this issue. Just an odd fit when you have big thighs and long legs.

XL North Branch - Amazing. Inseam is a little short. Probably around a 33" for XL. But, the stretch fabric keeps these pants from riding up when seated. They're well worth the money. I was worried about getting over heated on a long stalk this last season, but they breathe so well and the ass zips let any built up moisture or heat to dissipate. I think the courgate pant will have the same face fabric and I'm planning on buying some.

2XL Llano, Chama, Springer, puffy jacket, SS shirt - I didn't mention above that I have arms like grape ape. Tall shirts get near my wrist. I have a ~52in chest. I buy most anything not listed tall as a 2XL. I did with all of these and they are perfect. The saving grace I think is they are designed to go over your hand with your thumb in the loop, well, I can't stretch far enough for that but gives a great sleeve length. Jacket is a great length in torso and arms and chest. Will buy puffy again when this one dies. Torso lengths on FL are fanastic also. Tucking everything in works great and stays.

XL Allegheny bottoms - Long in the leg, short in crotch. Low ride? I think that's what you call it.

Cabelas

Tall is tall. Cotton is Cotton. Durability is however much you want to spend.

kuiu

2XL SHIRTS - Inconsistent sizing. Odd cuts. I've had all the shirts, no pants. Not impressed. Not planning on buying anything else.

Mountain Khakis

Very inconsistent sizing, but when you do find the correct size is similar to hooking the first trout of the day. Durable, great fabrics, long lengths. You have to experiment with sizing, I go up a size in the waist as a starting point.

Sitka

I got a (2XL) downpour jacket for $90 on Midway, and (2XL) kelvin lite vest for I think $65. Jacket is almost a 2X, kinda short in the arms but don't mind it much. Torso is kinda short. I use it while moving, wouldn't really wanna sit down in it. The vest is great, long in the torso and good sizing through the chest, I wear it often.

Another issue I'd like to see since we are the brotherhood of big men, boots. I wear a 14 EE in just about everything. I have Danner Mountain boots that are plenty long and almost wide enough. I like the traction of the bobbed soles in the soft hills of VA. I just got some Oboz for everyday wear and they are the most comfortable boots since the St. Helens from Danner got discontinued.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried them on (emphasis on tried) and they felt like I was trying to squeeze into pants for a 10 year old girl. They were way too tight in the thighs and I apparently have a big arse. For reference, most people say I'm really skinny and need a couple cheese burgers.

That's funny because I'm 6'6" 210 with most my height in my legs with a 36" waist, and I have to laugh when I try on a pair of pants and can't get them over my thighs. I'm tall and skinny, how on earth can they not fit over my thighs. Same for some short sleeve XL shirts......throw them on and they're cutting off the circulation in my arms. What on earth do the guys with huge pythons do?

37-38" inseam is what I wear. So even most of these 36" Talls are usually too short depending on how long the rise is on the pants. Some of the new hipster pants I've seen would be up to my knees even with a 36" inseam and my voice would be a dozen octaves higher.

I'm surprised you said the Switchbacks are 36.5" inseam. They must have lengthened them because they used to be no longer than a 34" at best in a Tall. The last hunting pants I have found that are long enough were the unhemmed Microtex which they no longer make unhemmed. They've shortened them all.

Another issue I'd like to see since we are the brotherhood of big men, boots. I wear a 14 EE in just about everything. I have Danner Mountain boots that are plenty long and almost wide enough. I like the traction of the bobbed soles in the soft hills of VA. I just got some Oboz for everyday wear and they are the most comfortable boots since the St. Helens from Danner got discontinued.

Agreed. Will start a wide and big boot thread soon. I wear 12 EEEE or 6E. Right now Bates (12 3E) for my hunting/muddy boot and New Balance for my hiking (11.5 6E).

OP
B

BigDog00

WKR
I'm surprised you said the Switchbacks are 36.5" inseam. They must have lengthened them because they used to be no longer than a 34" at best in a Tall. The last hunting pants I have found that are long enough were the unhemmed Microtex which they no longer make unhemmed. They've shortened them all.

I pulled most of my information off of each companies website. I too was surprised about this one. Their only downfall is that they only offer talls in 32-36" waists. I've found that they run about a size small in the waist. I have the switchbacks (I think I bought them in 2012) and they are 38" (talls not offered) and I would say they are probably 34" inseams. They are short but not horrible if I wear boots.

The one company I forgot to do was FirstLite. I have their Stormtight Jacket in an XL and it is probably too long (I never thought I would have to say that). The sleeves are about an inch too long for me (my sleeve length is about 37") and the length is probably perfect for layering. I have no experience with their pants, but I thought I've read where they have extra material in the inseams that can be let out. I would like to be able to try some of their new stuff on to see how they fit.

The one company I forgot to do was FirstLite. I have their Stormtight Jacket in an XL and it is probably too long (I never thought I would have to say that). The sleeves are about an inch too long for me (my sleeve length is about 37") and the length is probably perfect for layering. I have no experience with their pants, but I thought I've read where they have extra material in the inseams that can be let out. I would like to be able to try some of their new stuff on to see how they fit.

I have heard that their inseams are short (32.5), but being able to be let out may make them worthwhile. This is really good news about the sleeve length and I look forward to trying them on. Not a huge fan of their camo options, but I guess I'll have to decide between ASAT and Fusion. Wish they carried Kryptek instead of Real Tree, or at least switch out one of them for Highlander.

Jackelope

Lil-Rokslider
It's weird you guys are complaining about the length of Sitka's tall sized pants. I wear 36/36 Levis and Wranglers all day and the Tall
Sitka pants are plenty long for me. 34" inseam Levi's are too short.
I'd really like to try on some First Lite pants but have heard they're too short and they don't offer a tall size.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have their Stormtight Jacket in an XL and it is probably too long (I never thought I would have to say that).

I've always wondered what the bigger shorter guys do with First Lite stuff, as I wear a 38" sleeve length and FL fits me very well as far as shirts and jackets.

The Sitka pants in a Tall that I tried on were right at the tops of my boots when I was standing, and I don't wear short boots.

Colberjs

WKR
Following this thread with interest.

I'm 6'3" and float from 260-270#. The tall Cabela's stuff fits me well but I've had a hard time finding merino thy fits me well. I ordered a 2x Icebreaker tee and it was insanely small. I have some Core4 merino bottoms that aren't the best but ill make do with them for now.

I'm shaped kind of odd. I have a big rear and by the time stuff fits me in the seat it's too big around the waist.

Colberjs

WKR
Does anybody know of a place around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that stocks First Lite or any of the other name brand gear that I could try on before I buy?I'll be down there this weekend.

Does anybody know of a place around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that stocks First Lite or any of the other name brand gear that I could try on before I buy?I'll be down there this weekend.
First lite does not sell alot of stuff in stores. If you hit up a cabelas or bass pro, not sur eif oyu have sportsmans warehouse down there, but all of those normally have some stuff, and all have sitka gear.

Colberjs

WKR
We have BPS here in Oklahoma and I've never seen Sitka there. There is a small shop in Tulsa that carries Sitka gear. I'll look for Sportsmanship Warehouse in TX this weekend.

We have BPS here in Oklahoma and I've never seen Sitka there. There is a small shop in Tulsa that carries Sitka gear. I'll look for Sportsmanship Warehouse in TX this weekend.

First Lite doesn't show any retailers in TX or OK. Never seen anything at the bigger retailers.

gelton

WKR

About 4-5 years ago I did see some First Lite clothing at the Cabelas near Austin but I havent seen anything since. I am not certain if its because they no longer carry first lite or if its because my pre season shopping since then is normally done before they get a chance to roll out their full hunting merchandise.

Okay guys, some updates with both good and bad news.

Icebreaker:
First the bad, for all you long leg folks out there: Icebreaker ain't going to cut it. The 200 bottoms I got are right at 34s, which work for me; but some of you who need 36s would need long socks to make up for them. Now onto the good news. Icebreaker's tops are quite long at least enough to work for me (200 basics).

Eddie Bauer:
Again, not great news on the bottom front, but they have limited availability in 36" lengths for certain size waists. Their tops however, at least in the ascent line, are quite long to begin with and the tall sizes make them plenty long. In fact, one of the most generous tall sizes available.

First Lite:
Forgot to look at the bottom lengths, but suspect the 32-34 on the sizing chart would've been confirmed. The shirts and jackets however are quite long. Tried on both the Puffy and the Merinos and both were plenty long. Wish the Merinos were a touch longer as a base layer, but since they are way longer than anything else I can't complain too much.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Icebreaker:
First the bad, for all you long leg folks out there: Icebreaker ain't going to cut it. The 200 bottoms I got are right at 34s, which work for me; but some of you who need 36s would need long socks to make up for them. Now onto the good news. Icebreaker's tops are quite long at least enough to work for me (200 basics).

For base layer bottoms, I don't really care if my leg between my calf and ankle are covered as all the base layer is for is moisture management for me. The problem I do have is that I usually have to cut the bottom cuff because it rests around my calf which is then very very tight as it is designed to be around the ankle instead. I do still have a couple Cabela's Merino base layer bottoms in a Tall that fit really well, but they are well on their last legs as I've been using them for about 7 years.

I have always had to really size up on Icebreaker as their XL tops fit like a small.

I am 6'3 and 260 right now. I wear a 36" inseam as well. Hunting clothes are a hassle when it comes to length. I used to use the microtex no hem. I went to sitka last year. I get buy but when sitting they ride up above my boots. I have a few pairs of kuhl and I really like them.

As far as a base layer Patagonia bottoms are great in the length department. They are right around my ankle.
I had a pair of FL base layer bottoms and they were on my calf all the time.