Best all around hunting binocular

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
The Maven B3 has a couple of things going for it. First it is the brightest x30-32mm binocular I have experience with. The listed 95%+ light transmission figure can't be very far off the mark. It is somewhat brighter than the Conquest and I think the contrast is maybe a bit better as well. SO the difference is geared to low light, but a 42 mm class glass will win the low light war. No amount of light transmission can make up for the extra light collection space offered by the larger objective. While my B 3 is a decent low light performer, it gets its butt kicked by the 9x45 B 2. The B3 is fine for typical half hour to hour before/after sunset/sunrise that most states use in legal hunting hours. I also think the B 3 is a bit sharper than most of the 32 mm glass. It stands up real well to the true alpha types I have checked it beside at local dealers...but that is an impression only and not something I have tested in the field.

Individuals eye reactions to different binoculars are what they are...different. I have ceased to be surprised at the variations in reactions. I think there are a couple of things far more important than what you paid for the binocular or who made it. First off if it does not fit you around your eyes in particular, then it will not be a good tool for you. The other thing is to just shut up and use the binocular. Some people can do this more easily than others. Some can shut off the little voice in their head (mostly because they never obsessed over their optics in the first place) and be fine with lots of things while others have to spend a lot, to the point where the little voice in the back of the mind shuts off, due to the knowledge there is no more room for improvement. One side of the continuum is no better or worse than the other, positions along that continuum are mostly just different.

I mentioned above that I do like the Conquest quite a bit. The differences are there between the two binoculars. However, they won't show up without a side by side evaluation. You are right about perspectives changing with the number of optics one gains experience with. Our perspectives really are a driving force in our selection of optics (and most other stuff we buy and use).

So it is kind of pointless to obsess much over what differences exist between this one and that one. If you are happy with the Conquest, It is not something you need to upgrade. If it fits and lets you see with confidence what you are seeking, that is what counts.

The real impressive thing to me about the Maven is quality vs price. The big B 2 will not back down from any other optic on the planet despite costing less than half as much as most of the high end stuff. The B 3 I don't think is quite the level of the B 2. It took me a while to figure out that the Maven practice of doing away with the middleman and not wanting to charge the extra $$ needed to support a dealer network really has let them offer more for the money.

Anyway, the Maven are enough better IMO when selecting one or the other as an addition to the stable, the Maven is the easy choice.

Last edited:

Fireguy

WKR
I recently went from a Vortex Razor 10x42 to a Zeiss Victory HT 10x42. I was simply blown away by the Zeiss. They are amazingly bright, especially in the early morning and late evening. I was able to get a demo pair from Red Hawk Rifles mentioned here for $1499. Nobody would have ever known they are demo's. They were absolutely pristine. I loved my Razors but noticed a big difference in clarity and brightness with the Zeiss. Several buddies have the Conquest's and they have been great too, especially for the demo price at Red Hawk Rifles. I've learned the hard way over and over with optics, you really don't want to go cheap. I'd rather hunt with a $400 Ruger American and $2500 optics than have a fancy super accurate rifle and cheap optics.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to try the mavens but 650 for the conquests made me pull the trigger. Thanks for the heads up dotman! Redhawk already sent shipping notification sweet

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to try the mavens but 650 for the conquests made me pull the trigger. Thanks for the heads up dotman! Redhawk already sent shipping notification sweet

These came today. That's quick shipping even if redhawk is pretty close. I'm at work so it'll be awhile till I can check them out. Interesting the ups man just left them on the porch luckily where I live that's not usually a problem but it was raining all day

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I do not know if you must have new, but I watched CL for about a month, and managed to get some 10x42 SLC's that were all but NIB for $1000. They are absolutely fantastic glass, and I would have to credit my buck last year to them, as I would have never been able to pick him out with my old glass. Just an option?