Elk Hunting Food Storage

RedRidge

WKR
Going on a 5 day either sex OTC archery hunt in unit 37 come September and was wondering what everyone does for food storage. I will be hiking in and setting up a small spike camp and will hunt out and return there each day. What has worked well for everyone keeping critters away?

After researching some there are 3 types of people. Those who don't do anything with their food, those who hang it, and those who have bear canisters. What is your flavor and why?

If you're in bear country you should follow the regulations for proper food storage. Personally, I would hang it just to keep all the critters (bears included) out of it.

FreeRange

WKR
What do you typically use to put your food in when you hang it?

Sleeping bag stuff sack.

If you have to use a canister, put it in a depression in the terrain, not above some cliffs or a creek, if a bear decides to play with it you don't want to lose your food.

Mike7

WKR
I use a Mountain Laurel Designs bear hanging system (you could make your own) which consists of a small cuben rock bag, ultralight carabiner, and some smooth spectra cord. I cut the cord to about 40 ft which allows you to go over any branch up to 25-30 ft high. You can run the tie-off line through the carabiner that attaches to the food bag, before you pull your bag of food up...so then the line being tied to a tree pulls the food bag away from the trunk of the tree. It is a really slick set up, requiring a minimum of hassle.

For the actual food, I put a day's worth of food in a gallon Ziploc and then all Ziplocs go in a Kifaru Meat Baggie (dual purpose), or even an OR Large Zip sack with waterproof zipper if you don't have too many day's supply of food.

https://store.kifaru.net/meat-bags-p28.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Resea...52&sr=8-1&keywords=outdoor+research+large+zip

tttoadman

WKR
All my food is in a 10L dry bag that I clip up in the tent or tarp to keep the ground critters off of it. I havent had any problems yet. I have never really been in heavy bear country.

Shrek

WKR
I'm hanging mine in a stuff sack and try to put it a little out of camp with a clear line of sight to it so I don't get any surprises when I go to get something out of the bag. Twenty five to fifty yards downwind of camp. If I go to grizzly country again it might be farther away. I'm having a hard time finding the desire to go to grizzly country again though.

I'm hanging mine in a stuff sack and try to put it a little out of camp with a clear line of sight to it so I don't get any surprises when I go to get something out of the bag. Twenty five to fifty yards downwind of camp. If I go to grizzly country again it might be farther away. I'm having a hard time finding the desire to go to grizzly country again though.

Did you have a bad experience the last time?

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
Seems like most people are hangers. Thanks for the input. I can't see using a bear canister is worth the bulk in the pack. Good idea just not very user friendly for backpack hunting.

OP
RedRidge

RedRidge

WKR
Seems like most people are hangers. Thanks for the input. I can't see using a bear canister is worth the bulk in the pack. Good idea just not very user friendly for backpack hunting.

Shrek

WKR
Did you have a bad experience the last time?

Not really. I knew they were there but the full impact of how big they are and how vulnerable I was hit me when I looked down at the trail I was walking and found myself walking in ones tracks. I was up to my chest I brush and had just jumped a moose at 20 yards a minute before. The tracks were almost as wide as my size 13 boots were long and I hadn't seen the moose until he rose up out of the brush. That could have been a grizzly just as easily. Just wasn't as much fun anymore. I'll go again just to prove to myself I'm not CS but it will take effort to tame my fears. Working to add some North Idaho elk hunting this fall so if it works out I'll be back in grizzly country again.

The only time I've used cannisters was in Glacier Park. There weren't trees to hang from in the subalpine, and they work great for that. If there are trees to hang from the cannisters aren't worth the effort or the cost.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately in western Wyoming, it seems as grizzly country is coming to us. I hang my food, either in dry sacks or in a spare contractor bag. The canisters I looked at weigh about three pounds empty, and I had read some articles where bears had figured out how to open them, kind of seemed like a waste of time.

Hang it. Bring extra line in case you don't have a good tree and need to pull it out away from the tree.