Question-260 accuracy

Acquired a Model Seven stainless 260 recently. Gun appears to have been shot very little. Cleaned the bore very good and mounted a scope. Carried to the range today to sight in and check grouping. Second and third shots impact together but away from the first shot by a couple of inches. Shot some 100 grain NBT hand loads and also some Remington Premier Accu-Tips in 120 grain. Three groups with each bullet with the same results. I have an identical rifle that I also shot today that shots MOA with either ammo. I've had it for 17 years. Any ideas? I'm thinking it just needs to be broken in. Any help or advice appreciated.

its broken and u should sell it to me! lol…

I would say to re torque the action screws, check scope rings AND bases, make sure there isn't any weird contact to the barrel on the stock and last but worst case crown issue. or its broke and sell it to me!

mt100gr.

WKR
I had a rifle that was acting similar once. A couple on target and one would go "who knows where"? Then one in the dirt and two on the paper, etc...Anyway, turned out my older less-than-great scope had a tiny break in the crosshairs. It held kinda close and then, no...a newer scope likely has an etched reticle, though so definitely check the mounts.

GKPrice

Banned
if it is always the first shot of the group that goes aberrant it does sound like bedding, action torqueing or both

OP
Mr Drysdale
Thanks for the replies and advice.
As I said, I currently own an identical rifle. Early on it would throw the first shot after cleaning completely off the target. But after a fouling shot it was consistent. It is a MOA shooter with either the 100 grain hand loads or the 120 grain Accu-Tips. Different POI.

I have just acquired this rifle and after a good cleaning it looked brand new inside and out. Rifle was reassembled and properly torqued. Same with scope with new DNZ mount. Barrel is free floated and not making contact. Trigger breaks at just under 3 lbs (much better than my original). I did notice that the hand loads were a little tight when closing the bolt which I attribute to them being fire formed to the original and this rifle not being shot much. I also noted that the barrel seemed overly hot after shooting. I was not in direct sunlight and it was about 80 degrees. I brought the rifle home and gave it a good cleaning. Short of it needing to be bedded, I think it just needs to be broken in. I have a array of ammo and think I will spend some time alternating between shooting and cleaning for about 40 more rounds and give it another try. This rifle was purchased for my # 2 grandson and I want it to be right.
It is much too windy to shoot today. I will update when I get a chance.
Thanks again to all that replied.

OP
Mr Drysdale
Got to the range last weekend and spent some time shooting and cleaning the rifle. 23 rounds later I am at 1.5 inch three shot groups. I am getting happier.