Thoughts on Geigerrig hydration/filtration systems

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone on here have any experience with the Geigerrig pressurized water bladders. They make a filtration attachment. I like the idea of the pressurized bladder and contemplating buying one for the purpose of dirtbiking. curious as to if the filtration system is legit and I could trust it on my backcountry hunts as well. Any feed back would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs/accessories-Inline-virus-filter.html

The Geigerrig filter has a very short lifespan (according to the spec), which is why I went with the Sawyer Mini. I run a 3L Gerigerrig paired with the Swayer Mini and there are a few things that I might change if I had it to do over. Firstly, it depends on how you use it, but if you simply use it as a camp filter like me, I'd look at Platy bladders instead as you can get 2 and make a gravity filter for the same weight or less because Geigers are so heavy. Also if one were to fail you have at least one to squeeze with. IF you were using as a backpack bladder on the go I'd go with the Geiger however as I went with a Camelback a long time ago in the boundary waters and needed to lean against a tree to get enough pressure to get a drink. Another hard decision would be between the mini and the squeeze if I had it to do over. The mini is about half the price, however the squeeze has hydration hose connector addons that wont slip as much as the mini. Hoses don't slip off my mini often, so I'm not sure its worth the extra cost, but it'd make me think twice. Either would work great.

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. Ive heard the Platy bladders are solid set up for camp water and have considered that route as well ill have to look into the sawyer mini. I never considered hooking a different filter to the Geigerrig bag. thanks for the insight just what I was looking for

The Geigerrig filter has a very short lifespan (according to the spec), which is why I went with the Sawyer Mini. I run a 3L Gerigerrig paired with the Swayer Mini and there are a few things that I might change if I had it to do over. Firstly, it depends on how you use it, but if you simply use it as a camp filter like me, I'd look at Platy bladders instead as you can get 2 and make a gravity filter for the same weight or less because Geigers are so heavy. Also if one were to fail you have at least one to squeeze with. IF you were using as a backpack bladder on the go I'd go with the Geiger however as I went with a Camelback a long time ago in the boundary waters and needed to lean against a tree to get enough pressure to get a drink. Another hard decision would be between the mini and the squeeze if I had it to do over. The mini is about half the price, however the squeeze has hydration hose connector addons that wont slip as much as the mini. Hoses don't slip off my mini often, so I'm not sure its worth the extra cost, but it'd make me think twice. Either would work great.

Throw some zip ties in the connection points of your mini. It helped when I did it.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the Geigerrig pressurized water bladders. They make a filtration attachment. I like the idea of the pressurized bladder and contemplating buying one for the purpose of dirtbiking. curious as to if the filtration system is legit and I could trust it on my backcountry hunts as well. Any feed back would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs/accessories-Inline-virus-filter.html

The geigerrig is a pretty bomb proof bladder, I've had mine for I want to say 4-5 years. I got it when it first came out, the problem I had with it is figuring out where to put the damn bulb. It works really really well and I use it when hiking, but I lose the extra hose and bulb when hunting, it's just to much of a pain to have the bulb on the other shoulder strap, and pulling the pack off to pump the air just got old.
Also the mouth piece is not the best, and mine recently broke and I replaced it. I will say it is easy to clean and insanely durable.

Throw some zip ties in the connection points of your mini. It helped when I did it.

Yeah, idk if it was you or another that I saw mention that on a post a few weeks ago, but I have done exactly that but have only used it once since so can't comment on whether it works or not. Only comment I do have on it is that I used bigger zip ties and I think they would prevent me from screwing on a the squeeze bottle (the one that comes with the mini) I bring as a backup in case something in the system were to fail (or I forget the clip for the top of my geigerig like I did last trip). Not a big deal to have to cut it off, just an observation.

Another comment on my system: I now carry a mosquito net to use as a pre-filter. It does a great job at keeping stuff out of the bladder that may clog the filter. Plus you have a mosquito net if you were to need one.

FYI: I noticed when I was at Cabela's earlier today that they have the Mini on sale for $19.99, or Amazon has the blue one for $17.

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
awesome thanks for the feedback and tips. Ive decided im going to give it a try cause if nothing else i can use it for dirtbiking. Thanks for the heads up on the mini ill have to get one ordered while they are on sale.