2015 Sheep Gear Lists

Snyd

WKR
I think this is about it. With my half of the shared weight if we take my Hilleberg I'm at 38lbs before food and water. If I chose to do a pistol hunt it's a little less. But then I'd pack knee pads and whites so about the same. This is for a 2 guy DIY walkin hunt. I'll pack 15-20lbs of food and as little water as I can get away with depending on the situation. I figure I always start at 65ish lbs goin in if my 3L drinking bladder is full and I'm maxed out on food for say 10ish days.

Pack
KeltyFaru- Kifaru Bikini Frame w/7200ci Kelty 50th Bag
Pack Cover- OR Medium
Shelter
Hilleberg Tarra Tent Poles/stakes (shared weight)
Sleeping
Big Agnes Zirkel bag/stuff sack
Big Agnes Insulated AirCore Pad
Bivy/Bag cover
Weapon
Kimber 325 w/scope,sling, 3rnds/bullet holder
Bullets- 200gr AB handloads 1 oz each 12rnds
Optics
Pentax PF65ED-A Scope w/ WO Zoom (shared weight)
Morphed Tripod (shared weight)
Pentax DCF SP 10x43 Binos
Nikon Monarch 800 Rangefinder (shared weight)
Olympus Stylus TG-830 digital Camera (shared weight)
Stove/Water/Eating Utensils
MSR Reactor (shared weight)
Fuel-gas 2 canisters 8oz vol 13ozs (shared weight)
MSR or Katadyn Water Pump (shared weight)
Water Bladder Drinking- 3L
Water Bladder Dromlite- 6L
Cups/spoon/msr towel
Meat Care
Gerber Fixed blade- leather sheath
Buck Lockblade
Scalpels, gloves
Sharpening stone
Tag bags
Trash Compactor bags
Outerwear
Brooks Range Puffy Jacket w/Hood - Windproof
Vest-Fleece black thin
Rain Pants- OR Green
Rain Coat- OR Green
Balaclava
Head/Ear band
Ball Cap
Sporthill hunting gloves
Barney's Glacier socks if needed depending on hunt
Base Layers
Base layer top - Lightweight (wearing)
Base Layer bottoms - Lightweight (wearing)
PolyPro top- tan zip neck Midweight
Duofold PolyPro Bottoms- Midweight
Socks Merino wool- 3.4 oz 2pair
Extra Skivies 1 pair
Other
Trekking Poles
SPOT
Compass
Maps
Headlamp- Princeton Tec
First Aid/Sundries/TP/Wipes
Misc "what if"
Rope, flagging, space blanket
zipties, velcro
matches, lighter, firestarter
SUNDRIES/FIRSTAID List
Moleskin
Tape
band aids
gauze
ointment
anti-diareha
anti-nausea
pain meds
Muscle relaxers
Rolaids
contact lenses/saline
ibuprofin
sleep aid
lip balm
throat lozenges
sinus meds
TP/wipes/ointment
Wearing
Lowa Civetta boots
OR Pants
Light base layers
Windproof/resistant gray shirt
Leather/synthetic "work" gloves
OR Gators maybe

Snyd just curious what brooks range puffy you're using? I've been eyeing one of these for a little while.

325 wsm

FNG
I dont see anyone mentioning a headnet or bug dope. Id rather leave my gun than either of those. Also add to the list electrolyte tabs for cramps. Nothing like a monster energy drink on the way up the first day either. Also a little mickey of whiskey (plastic bottle) and a good novel for the rainy fogged in days.

PA 5-0

WKR
I dont see anyone mentioning a headnet or bug dope. Id rather leave my gun than either of those.

A headnet was a $2, near weightless item that I forgot to take sheep hunting. The bugs reminded me during minute #1 that I f'd up. Luckily, my special forces buddy had given me a burka he had worn in Afgan. I had stuffed it in my pack more as a ceremonial item. It saved me alot of hassle during glassing sessions. Guide was busting my balls saying he was hunting with a taliban sniper.

Snyd

WKR
I dont see anyone mentioning a headnet or bug dope. Id rather leave my gun than either of those. Also add to the list electrolyte tabs for cramps. Nothing like a monster energy drink on the way up the first day either. Also a little mickey of whiskey (plastic bottle) and a good novel for the rainy fogged in days.

I pack some Gatorade.

As far as bug dope or a head net I've never taken either in 11 years and never wished I had em.

Stid2677

WKR
Have some changes pending and still working out my final pack choices. Hope to add a cuben fiber bivy if it makes it on time.

Got the new EXO 5500 Pack and either my Son or I will be giving that a test.

Getting so close I can feel it,, no really I'm sore as hell from getting ready. :)

Take-a-knee

Banned
I pack some Gatorade.

As far as bug dope or a head net I've never taken either in 11 years and never wished I had em.

Either you ain't been some of the places I've been in AK (which really ain't that many) or you are one Yoda/mind-over-matter SOB the likes of which I've yet to encounter.

I've gone to sleep with a dozen+ skeeters buzzing (think super-heterodyne whine X 10) on my headnet perched over my face.

Stid2677

WKR
Sheep spike camp,, last year. They were even this bad where the sheep were.

P8080091_zpsa4ba1f08.jpg

Good thing you had the hole in there to let them out Steve. Maybe with all the forest fire smoke you'll get a little reprieve this year.

Stid2677

WKR
What bivy? And did you have problems with the TI goat bivy you listed in your original gear post in this thread, or simply trying something new?

Just wanted 2 with the bug screen after my last hunt with lots of skeets.

Going to add the Bora Cuben Fiber bivy to my kit.

Thanks for the response Stid. Does your TI bivy not have a bug screen, or are you referring to the ones that are all bug mesh on top?

I've got a TI goat bivy as well and have been thinking about getting a bug bivy for summer trips.

Rowdy

FNG
I'm going to be flying out with 40 Mile Air this fall and they can't fly with the Jetboil or similar fuel cans. All I've used the last number of years is just my Jetboil so I'm looking at other options. Has anyone tried the adapter that will allow you to use the green Coleman propane bottles with a Jetboil or other small stove? I don't really care to bring white gas and fuel bottles anymore. Open to suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm going to be flying out with 40 Mile Air this fall and they can't fly with the Jetboil or similar fuel cans. All I've used the last number of years is just my Jetboil so I'm looking at other options. Has anyone tried the adapter that will allow you to use the green Coleman propane bottles with a Jetboil or other small stove? I don't really care to bring white gas and fuel bottles anymore. Open to suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks

Yes stid2677 has used the adaptor to use propane with his jet boil. I'll see if I can find the link. He said something like it would work with one but not the other. Maybe shoot him a pm

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Nice to see you are still running that spotter, Snyd. I'll admit your reviews of it were enough to put one in my pack.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Ha! My sheep gear hunting list hasn't changed in probably 5-6 years but the one thing I do need is a new tent. It's always something I guess. lol