Shoot with a pack on?

rmh2282

FNG
So a common theme here on the rokslide fourm seems to be packing meat out on your back. So while hunting, do you guys shoot with your packs on? Or do you take them off and have them nearby or at camp while limiting your hunting area?

It seems like wearing a pack of that size would drastically alter the mechanics of your shot, even if it were empty.

For bonus points, how far do people usually hunt from camp?

Thanks.

I practice both rifle shots and bow shots with my pack on. I will take it off if I can, but you never know. I took my best muley with my pack on. Happened so fast I didn't have time to drop the pack. Literally whistled once to slow him down to check his size and once more to stop him for the shot.

I shot a bull one year with the pack on as well. I had just climbed 1000 Ft before daylight, Heard a bugle, made a big half circle to ambush them on the way to the bedding area, kneeled to take a look through the binocs (thinking they would be across the meadow), realized a big bull was 50 yds away and closing. Dropped down on my knees, picked a clearing, and shot him at 37yds. Didn't have time to range him or take anything off, no face net or gloves. I put on my release as soon as leave the tent, I'm not sure I would have been quick enough to get it on and set.

Anyhow, practice because you never know!

As for how far away from camp, however far I need to be/go. I've pulled my bow back back on Bulls within site of my tent and have shot elk 3 miles away.

Last edited:
One negative experience/lesson learned for shooting with my pack on: I had a couple cows/calves sneak up on me having heard a twig snap and only got the safety off and half way to a knee when all of a sudden a head popped out about 3 yards in front of me so I had to freeze half crouch. Well, as she stepped out and I slowly started to bring my muzzleloader up when the worst possible thing happened... I had forgotten to clip my chest strap and the clip hit the comb of my stock with a nice loud tick. Welp, needless to say I saw her muscles tense up so I quickly snapped up the rest of the way, but couldn't get a clean shot as she took off straight away from me. So, the lesson learned is to make sure you have everything is strapped up nice and tight before hunting in your pack.

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Just practice with your pack on. I never have enough time to take it off. It just another incentive to pack light. Kuiu ultra pro configuration allows you to take your bow or rifle off with one hand while the pack is still on. Super stealth.

OP
R

rmh2282

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I'll add the pack for most of my shooting into this fall.

Good tip on the chest strap lineman, I tend to leave that undone with a light load and would have probably had a similar story to tell.

oldgoat

WKR
If you use a camel bak with your pack, make sure you keep the drink tube secured and on your draw arm side, I've caught them with the string twice now, i usually learn faster than that but not in this case, luckily i was target shooting both times. Pack shouldn't interfere with your shooting, if it does it's a form problem and your probably dropping your arm on downhill shots or raising it on uphill shots. Bend at your waist for those shots.

I practice with my Stone Glacier Sky 5100 pack and am comfortable shooting with the pack on. If I take the pack or leave it just depends on how much time I have to prepare for the shot, and if I'm anticipating having to wait out a bedded deer or whatnot. Kind of nice to have it with me so I can get water if need be.

I hunt as far as I need to so that I can get into animals, all depends on the particular situation. My elk camp is right off the trailhead, I'll spike out for a few days 3-4 miles

LaGriz

WKR
rmh2282,
Do daypacks count? Most all my best animals were taken with a pack on. Three Bulls (rifle) and a cow and a 5X5 muley with the smoke pole, all taken whith my Pack Idaho FTO on my back. Never have a problem shooting with this pack on.

LaGriz

MattB

WKR
It's the freak circumstance that will cause you to have to shoot with your pack on - I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In a heartbeat. On or off, it makes no difference. The worse thing you can do is drop your pack and pursue a herd of elk. You will do that once.

jtw

WKR
I practice with my pack on and so far have shot the majority of my animals while wearing one. Doesnt make a huge difference for me.