KUIU Teton Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're so familiar with the actual Kuiu business, could you please post some numbers showing proof of how poorly you say they are doing? Oh wait...what? You don't have any of that?

Is the Kuiu business perfect? Hell no, but then what business is? Have they brought a great product to the market that has made thousands of customers around the world very happy? Absolutely! Have they pissed off a few customers along the way? Apparently they have, and it seems most of them are Rokslide members but if it were truly that big of a deal would they still be selling their products at the rate they are and being able to introduce new products all the time? How about a tiny bit of common sense gets used once in a while.

While I agree with you on some points and anti kuiu gets old. You are no different than Bruce and its your speculation on how great they are doing business wise. You spend plenty of time defending Kuiu are you associated with them? Just curious

My comments are on topic, Kuiu is offering a new product line. Is this a good or smart business decision? We'll see won't we? Perhaps they will expand via private labeling and use their fanatical following to sell goods they don't actually manufacture. Pretty sure some people will buy anything with the Kuiu logo on it. Pre-order and prepay too. I do agree with the guy calling me out on the old website of one of my businesses, am waiting for the new one to be finished. Allegedly in 2 weeks but the guys who speak binary often lie about completion dates. I remain skeptical of their timeline.

Last edited:

Mike7

WKR
I was really disappointed when I saw the waterproof/breath ability ratings for the kuiu Teton rain gear. I can go on sierra trading post right now añd but a 30,000/40,000 rated mountain hardwear shell for probably a little over 100 bucks

We should be talking about similar weight/functioning items here I think when assessing and being critical of the Teton gear. Show me the 30,000/40,000 jacket in the 6-12 oz range for "a little over" $100. I really want to know, because I will likely buy that jacket and I am guessing that others would be interested also. I just haven't seen anything like that yet. I saw that you mentioned the MH Ampato, which looks like a great jacket, but that is 18 oz, not camo, and $175+.

Manosteel

WKR
I like Bruce's input on business models, I am a business owner and can relate and agree with most of what he says.

I own some Kuiu clothing, and like it but I also own and like my kypteck, first light, a lot of non hunting companies clothing,

What gets annoying is all the low post count kuiu supporters who pop up on these threads, some are new, some are old silent accounts. please share more than your undying love for Kuiu it will make the forum a better place :)

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's so much post count but context/content. I personally love anything that's better than sliced bread but please include how you came to your conclusion. We have had this discussion before on here and most people can fall victim to my dad is better than your dad debate with no facts. I done it myself before

dotman

WKR
I have to agree most here that do call Kuiu out have actually used their stuff and experienced their customer service, just not Shrek ;)

To me it seems like most, not all, that get so hurt when Kuiu isn't painted in a perfect picture and whine to mods are also relatively new Kuiu customers as in the last year or two. I was one of their original customers as are a large number of others on here that use many other brands and believe they all have good items.

I think this new line is great, it will help tons get into some decent clothes at a decent price unless they keep to their usual business model and the stuff is never instock.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I love these threads. Grown people complaining about clothing lol.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. I you want it, wait for it to come instock. Or buy it used on here, since all the gear bombers that bought a shit ton but are now off loading kuiu gear because the Kool guys say it isn't Kool anymore.

Well, I ordered a set for my dad. Not complete, but Shirt, Jacket and Pants. I'm pretty sure I would be consider a KUIU Junky. But I haven't been disappointed with anything I have gotten.

But I also I have my fair share of sitka Gear as well.

Last edited:
Well, I ordered a set for my dad. Not complete, but Shirt, Jacket and Pants. I'm pretty sure I would be consider a KUIU Junky. But I haven't been disappointed with anything I have gotten.

But I also I have my fair share of sitka Gear as well.

Me too.

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
It is clear you have never operated a product-based business that manufactures overseas. Consider this, you have X amount in funds, that number is all the money you can scrounge, beg and borrow. You have a highly quality clothing line that you cannot manufacture fast enough to maintain inventory. Customers are upset with the wait times for orders after purchasing online. Do you resolve your production problem first to secure the high profit, much in demand clothing line or fritter away financial resources creating unrelated camping products with fatal flaws that undermine your credibility? Any smart and conservative businessperson would make inventory control their priority...especially with a high growth rate. To do otherwise is foolish and irresponsible. Kuiu is a tiny boutique business and as such, needs to learn from past mistakes. I'll bet you dollars to donuts their site crashes during their next sale. The infrastructure is weak. They have lost business and upset would-be customers because of this. They promised transparency in a public message from the owner and squelch all honest criticism from their message board. At the end of the day, a company is only as good as its reputation and there are many companies competing with Kuiu that haven't adversely impacted themselves as much as Kuiu has. Hardly an example of the ideal product-based business model. JMO

I love the product but they are hardly a tiny boutique business anymore. When Jason tells us Kuiu is bigger than any It's competitors that has to say something right there. Small they are not

It's actually pretty easy to sift out the pointless content in these threads. Look for the comments driven by emotion (either way) and discount them. I value comments which compare or evaluate gear and deal with real-world experiences. When it turns to adoration or bitterness (insults) I know the objectivity is absent. The best commentary is factual, objective and unemotional. The hatred is lost on me...I have better things.

I'm a KUIU/Sitka/WM/Kifaru/MR/FF/REI/LLB/...etc fan. Not blindly loyal to any of these in the least, but maybe you'd like to apply '-teer' behind any one of them at certain times. I critique them all and avoid letting the brand name affect my judgment or decision. I also don't agree with 100% of how these entities conduct their business at times, but the same applies for Ford, GM, IRS, TSA, John Deere, Home Depot...ad nauseum. All the same, I give them credit when due and let them know where they come up short....which they all do sooner or later.

Going back on track in this thread: I didn't get to see the Teton roll-out. I don't have a clue about it's qualities or features. Given the overall response I've observed to KUIU's clothing line since inception, my money is on it being another success for them. I likely won't be buying it, mainly because I don't see anything in there I need or want.

I love the product but they are hardly a tiny boutique business anymore. When Jason tells us Kuiu is bigger than any It's competitors that has to say something right there. Small they are not

You're a Pepsi sales rep who doesn't even understand the business term. http://www.themicronichemethod.com/...-your-micro-niche-a-small-firm-or-a-boutique/

How many employees do you think Kuiu has? How many offices? How many square feet? How much manufacturing equipt? Answer? Not a lot. The ROC has the bulk of the workforce...subcontracted labor and equipment. From a business perspective Kuiu is actually tiny and so is their niche market. They design, import, sell and ship. That's it. Is it wise to constantly churn out new and untested products when you are always backordered on the old product line?

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bruce this thread is about the new line not a Kuiu business summary. Stay on task. You'll have plenty of opportunity to reinforce your arguments in up coming threads

Bruce this thread is about the new line not a Kuiu business summary. Stay on task. You'll have plenty of opportunity to reinforce your arguments in up coming threads

So you're a self appointed moderator now? A new line IS a business topic. You are off topic and do not have to read my posts nor are you the Rockslide Overlord. Know your role.

71dc8a9657b9883018925d0dc126b129.jpg

151498-149099-142130-140245-139303-FBF%20Header.jpg

Last edited:
We should be talking about similar weight/functioning items here I think when assessing and being critical of the Teton gear. Show me the 30,000/40,000 jacket in the 6-12 oz range for "a little over" $100. I really want to know, because I will likely buy that jacket and I am guessing that others would be interested also. I just haven't seen anything like that yet. I saw that you mentioned the MH Ampato, which looks like a great jacket, but that is 18 oz, not camo, and $175+.

Here are 2 choices for ya...

20,000/15,000
under 7 ounces (Pants under 4 ounces)
under $150

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2003&p_id=2328276&gen_cd=1
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2003&p_id=2328283&gen_cd=1

This jacket is:
20,000/20,000
6.4 ounces
$160

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/mens-helium-ii-jacket.html

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
You're a Pepsi sales rep who doesn't even understand the business term. http://www.themicronichemethod.com/...-your-micro-niche-a-small-firm-or-a-boutique/

Actually I'm not but thanks for telling me who my employer is. Pretty quick to judge people there aren't you Bruce. All I said was they aren't small. Niche maybe yes but Jason himself said they are bigger than any of his competitors. Listen to the YouTube video. That's all I was saying.
I actually own a lot of their gear and think it's great. I also own gear from others as well. I use a mix as many people do.
Didn't mean to make this a pissing match Bruce!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Rokslide is here to talk about gear! No how badass YOU are. How about we keep it FACT based and since most, if not all have never even seen this clothing, I would guess we are making ASSumptions!

I am tired of babysitting these threads(both sides) I can promise we will go on without YOU....... Test me!!

Shrek

WKR
Hummmm...Kuiu bigger than its competition. WL Gore , which happens to own Sitka and makes the membranes and many of the fabrics that go into much of the clothing we buy has a market cap of 7-8 billion dollars. Toray on the other hand is bigger with a 13-14 billion dollar market cap but doesn't actually own Kuiu although they "own" Kuiu in the sense that Kuiu doesn't exist without Toray. So Jason is being truthful and transparent again....and no open market customers know anything about the quality and fit of the new line but you can be assured Jason is doing his best to fluff his fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.