How far is too far?

Looking into a backpack muley hunting trip to the Bob here in Montana.

Basin I have picked out to scout here in a few weeks is 7.5 miles from the trailhead. I plan on deboning and quartering out my 160" buck I'm going to shoot (positive thinking produces positive results) and am curious to know if that is considered too far to get the meat out w/o spoiling?

This really depends on the temperature, which could be anywhere from 50-90, hoping for mid 70's but last year elk hunting was around 80.

Anything I need to know to avoid having meat spoilage?

Also is it worth packing in supplies to keep the velvet from falling off after I shoot him, or should I plan on having some artificial velvet put on by my taxidermist?

Have a cooler of ice at the trail head and you should be fine. If your gear and meat are too heavy for one trip just get the meat out first.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I have a nice Stone Glacier Sky 511 pack, and will be able to pack out the whole deer and all my gear in one shot. Going to be a heavy pack but I've been doing some training, with a lot more planned.

That is one thing that I do need to purchase is a solid cooler. Anybody use dry ice w/a towel over it to stay cooler longer? I should have @ least 5 days to be out if it takes that long, not sure I can afford a Yeti type cooler.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a nice Stone Glacier Sky 511 pack, and will be able to pack out the whole deer and all my gear in one shot. Going to be a heavy pack but I've been doing some training, with a lot more planned.

That is one thing that I do need to purchase is a solid cooler. Anybody use dry ice w/a towel over it to stay cooler longer? I should have @ least 5 days to be out if it takes that long, not sure I can afford a Yeti type cooler.

Igloo/Coleman can last 5 days full of ice. Cover with an old sleeping bag and in the shade.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Sky 5100*

Thanks for the tips on the lesser expensive coolers, would have been real nice to have one during pronghorn season as well, if only to keep some water cold for when I got back to the truck after busted stalks!

While scouting keep an eye out for a good place to either hang your meat or stash your gear if you have to make two trips. I know my area pretty good now but my early scouting trips I concentrated on three things first. Water. A place to ride out storms and a good place to hang meat/stash gear. Once I had those three things figured I then moved on to concentrating on finding good glassing spots and gamey areas.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Hey Brood do you tend to stick to one particular area and get that nailed down, or do you try to hit 4-5 different areas when initially learning?

It's sort of a wagon wheel deal. My way in and out is always the same but once I'm at the center of the wagon wheel there's lots of options. So once I'm in the high country I can glass several different basins without too much effort. If I find my self 10+ miles in with an animal down I've got a few different spots on the way back to the trail head that I'd have no problem leaving meat hanging for several days if required. I'm not young enough or strong enough to carry 100 lbs 10+ miles so I've got several spots pre-scouted to hang a deer.

Well that the theory anyways. Hoping this is the year I get to put the plan to work :)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't pack anything to preserve the velvet. Just get it cool along with the meat and get it out and on ice ASAP, (Hefty 39 gallon over it then bag of ice then a blanket to insulate until you can care for it.) Then if you fail, you can do the artificial.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
In that country, it should not be to hard to find a shady North slope to hang the meat in; it should be good for a couple days, even in September. Get some decent game bags to keep the flies out.

DaveC

WKR
In the Bob last year I shot a buck 8 miles from the trailhead at 10am. Had it on ice in the car 5 hours later. It was 85 degrees by the time I got back down to the car. Saving grace was at 7500' in early September the shade stays pretty cool and I was able to cool the quarters nicely before loading up.

So no, 7.5 is definitely not too far.

Velvet seems to be gone by the second week of Sept, btw.