New guy question

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm new to the forum as well as quality optics. I'm looking at a new pair of 15's and am considering the swaros,zeiss conquest as well as the euro hd's. I know the only way to judge for yourself is to look through them, and have read as many reviews as possible about the 3. Any particular review says 1 or the other is better or close enough to the swaros to justify not paying that much,my question is will that still be the case in 5-10 years? I know these sets are relatively new so there may not much data on it. I have close eyes so not just any set will work for me and I have yet to get my hands on the euro's,cabelas hasn't had them in stock yet.*I'm stuck and looking for any help especially from anyone who's had the opportunity to compare the 3, or any info/opinions in general.
Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You'll find neither the conquests or euro directly compare to the slc or el. Comes down to if the compromises are worth the savings to you.

Last edited:
OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Correct me if i am wrong but the EL's only come in 12x50, is that correct? Just out of curiosity is that something they would potentially release in a 15x56 like the SLC or is that creating to much in house competition?

OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I guess the only thing to really do is go out and try and compare the 3 side by side by side watch the classifieds. Thanks again.

LaGriz

WKR
eagle#eyes,
Welcome fellow FNG! I just had a idea about a pair of Leica Dual-power binos someone had listed on this sight recently. Fine glass with the option to have a greater field-of-view at one power and then zoom up when you mount them on a tri-pod. Just a thought. I think they were 8-to 12X and around 50MM objectives. No doubt pretty heavy compared to most glass out there. They do however, fill a void for a hunter that wants high magnification at times and utillity use (hand held) when at 8 power. Good luck
LaGriz

OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
eagle#eyes,
Welcome fellow FNG! I just had a idea about a pair of Leica Dual-power binos someone had listed on this sight recently. Fine glass with the option to have a greater field-of-view at one power and then zoom up when you mount them on a tri-pod. Just a thought. I think they were 8-to 12X and around 50MM objectives. No doubt pretty heavy compared to most glass out there. They do however, fill a void for a hunter that wants high magnification at times and utillity use (hand held) when at 8 power. Good luck
LaGriz

That does sound pretty intriguing to be able to go from 8 power to 12. Died that option hold up as well as a regular bino? I've also heard more negatives about leica customer service in comparison to Swarovski and zeiss. Do all of the big three have a full transferable warranty if you buy used? I hadn't given leica much thought because of that customer service stuff but my uncle hunts with a few guys that have the 15x56 rangefinders and they claim is the best glass out there.

cscalvin

Lil-Rokslider
I compared Zeiss, Swaro, and Meopta's in my search for 15s. Of course the SLCs were the best, but did it justify the extra money? Not in my opinion. I just picked up a pair of Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56s for $1000. There's a used pair on coueswhitetail.com for $1200 I believe right now. That's $1000 cheaper than the SLCs new. Cabela's/Meopta were impressive as well, but I thought the Zeiss's were on par with it, so there was no need for me to spend $1700 on them. I had all 3 on a tripod outside and that was the best way for me to test them. If money isn't an issue, get the Swaros.

PS- Tried out the Kaibabs and they don't even come close to those top 3. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?28564-Zeiss-Bino-Demo-Sale
Just found this where they are selling demos for $999. Hard to beat

That is hard to beat. Like you said, the Swaros are better to me in every way i could tell. The Swaros fit my face better, hands better, had a sharper image to my eyes and the focus wheel felt a little loose/fast/sloppy on the Zeiss. That's not to say the Zeiss was bad at all, just fell short compared to the SLC's. At that kind of a price point though it's hard to no like them though.

Don't have the swaros, so maybe not a fair statement (I have looked through swaros etc in the store), but I absolutely love my Conquest HDs (10x42) I can't really see needing another upgrade, and when you get them on a good sale, tough to beat! They are noticeably brighter and crisper then my wife's viper HDs (which are great in their own right)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Are you stuck on the 15s. I went that route first then found the 12 ELs to be much more versatile. I pretty much use them for everything now. IMO I give up very little glassing off a tripod with the 12s vs 15s, with the added bonus of using them without a tripod.

OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Are you stuck on the 15s. I went that route first then found the 12 ELs to be much more versatile. I pretty much use them for everything now. IMO I give up very little glassing off a tripod with the 12s vs 15s, with the added bonus of using them without a tripod.

I'm not set on the 15's, I just don't plan on getting a spotter as I am not a trophy hunter, and figured the 15's would give enough juice to get by without one. I haven't used quality 12's or 15's in the field, store parking lot only, so I can't really say if I would feel short changed with the 3x less power.

OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. I have some 10's bit was actually looking to grab some 8's to use instead for the field of view.

luke moffat

Super Moderator

12X is where its at!!! :)

OP
E

eagle#eyes

Lil-Rokslider
When you guys are using your 12x are only they in place of the 15's or are they the only pair you carry?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
This year I am only using 11 or 12s. For everything, bowhunting and rifle. It is partially Luke's fault:)