Asolo Fugitive GTX

Thinking about purchasing a pair to use on my Sept backcountry elk hunt. Thoughts anyone?? Good/Bad??

Ironman8

WKR
They're my go-to boot for the last 3+ years. They went with me to Idaho last year for Nov. rifle season and they'll also go this year for Sept. archery. They fit my feet really well and are a great blend between being flexible enough to be comfortable and stiff enough to provide enough support. From my experience and plenty of other reviews, the waterproofing (GTX liner) seems to stay waterproof for much longer than other brands/models. Construction of the boot is of good quality, although the sole isn't Vibram and is glued on vs. sewn. Being that it's not Vibram, it doesn't seem to be as "sticky", but I also don't find them to be slick either.

In the past, I griped about my feet sweating, but I actually found out that it was the Lathrop insole I was using that caused the majority of the sweating. That said, being that they're GTX, they won't breathe like a non-GTX boot. It's a tradeoff. Also, they do run narrow for most people, so if you have a wide foot, take that into consideration and go for the wide model. Size (length) runs true for me.

At the end of the day, boots are a VERY personal thing, and what works for me may not work for you. Hope that helps.

I have used them as hiking boots for a couple of years with 10-12 trips and some casual hiking. Bought them to replace a set of asolo 95s that finally died. Not the stoutest boot out there but a good mid-weight hiker. I have used them on rough terrain with 60# loads and felt like I had enough boot. I think they do run narrow. My feet measure out to 12EEE and I have 12 Wides. I might have gone up a half size or a size if I were doing it again. My only complaint is that they sole near the heel feels narrow as compared to say my Merrill Sawtooths. I am talking about the shape / width of the sole where it touches the ground, not the heel cup inside the boot. I think this makes them a bit less laterally stable and creates more of a roll tendency.

Overall, I like them but when they die, I will probably replace them with something that has a toe bumper and a wider, more stable heel.

CoHiCntry

WKR
Make sure you try them on first. I love Asolo and have been using them for years but that's because they fit my feet very well. Other guy's they don't fit right so they don't like them.

JDZ

WKR
I really like the Asolo Fugitive. I have a pair that is pretty much wore out, but I cannot bring myself to throw them in the dumpster. I really like the sole on them. They have been better for me than other Asolo models with Vibram soles. At first I thought they looke like the sole wouldn't provide good grip on smooth or wet rock, but they always worked very well. As others have mentioned, the outsole is narrow, and the boot runs on the narrow side.

GoatNuts

FNG
I had a pair for almost three years. The first two years I loved them, but the boots didn't stay on my feet after scouting season the third year. Although they looked good with no holes or obvious major degradation, they leaked really bad and my feet would get soaked just from walked through morning dew covered grass! Those first two years I had them I wore them on many trips including two backpacking snow trips, a few weekends in pouring rain, a bunch of upload bird hunting, a handful of elk scouting trips, and two 7 day elk hunts. I always took care of them and I'm not sure exactly why they ended up failing so bad, but I no longer wear them. Asolo boots fit me well and I've never had a problem with hot spots, blisters, toe-bang, etc..., so I switched to the TPS 520 GV boot prior to my hunt last year. So far, I'm happy with this boot.

OP
Mxracer532
I am also looking at a pair of Lowa Cevedales. I know I tried on a pair a year or soo ago at an REI garage sale and they fit like a glove. Just dont remember the size.

Mmcan

WKR
I, too have had several pairs. Love them for light hikes and working in the yard, as well as just kicking around. But I don't think they provide enough support to carry a heavy pack in rough terrain. I like my Lowa Tibet high's for that.

n2horns

WKR
I tried many pairs of Asolo and the Fugitives, oh I wanted them to work. but nothing really fit my foot well. I think I tried on 12 of or 13 pairs of Asolos all various size/width and makes. I ended up back with Lowa Tibet and a new boot Salomon 4dgtx

OP
Mxracer532
I used the Salomon GTXs Last year on a spring bear hunt and they fit great, but I hated how the outside of the boot got wet and stayed wet for along time. I did however try them on again (New pair) and they didnt fit well at all. I could feel the outside of my foot hitting hard on the boot.

Chenube

FNG
One of the best boots I have ever had. Great if you have wide feet. I bought mine and took them on a backpacking trip 3 days later, no blisters or hot spots. These and Salewa are my two favorites.