New Knight muzzle loader

gwl79902

WKR
I just got a new knoght ultra light western edition. I want to put a peep on it. I am looking at the williams 881140 but unsure if it will fit on this gun. If it will not if anyone has a recomendation it would help

I just got a new knoght ultra light western edition. I want to put a peep on it. I am looking at the williams 881140 but unsure if it will fit on this gun. If it will not if anyone has a recomendation it would help

I do not recognize that number... but if is a Williams FP sight it probably will not install on a Ulite - the stock is to thick. If it is a Williams WGRS that sight would work.

This is the FP

This is a WGRS

On my Western I use a NECG Weaver style Peep mounted on a Warne scope block

dotman

WKR
I also have the NECG on a warne base, the weaver base is too tall so if you go with the NECG get the warne base.

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I found a williams wgrs disc/tbolt on midway. it looks like the one that you are talking about. I do not plan on putting a scope on the gun because I plan to hunt oregon and maybe idaho. I want it plan and simple so that it does not get hung up on stuff while hunting.

Sabot shooter which one of your posts would you recommend to start my load work. I plan to hunt deer mostly and maybe elk. With my hawkins I always used buffalo bullets or maxi balls. In my 3006 I have been using barnes triple shocks and love them. So with this gun I have been thinking of a copper bullet. But which one if any can be shot legal in Oregon
Hope you do not mind me picking your brain

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...nd-t-bolt-aluminum-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

dotman

WKR
If you like Barnes bullets Google Thor Bullets. They are expensive but are a conical Barnes bullet.

jm1607

WKR
I found a williams wgrs disc/tbolt on midway. it looks like the one that you are talking about. I do not plan on putting a scope on the gun because I plan to hunt oregon and maybe idaho. I want it plan and simple so that it does not get hung up on stuff while hunting.

If you don't plan on ever using a scope I think the WGRS is the way to go, it's WAY cheaper than the NECG peep + Warne base

Last edited:
OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
THanks guys great info and I think that is the peep I will go with and that is the bullet I was thinking of. Thanks a bunch

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
gwl79902 If you do a search on here you will see Where Sabotloader is doing some testing of other bullets that might be just what your wanting ,,Testing takes time , Getting the bullet manufacture to help is what hes been doing I look forward to what they come up with ,,

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
I have read a bunch of Sabotloaders stuff and he is on heck of a resource. He also seems like a truly nice guy. I will reread some of his stuff. Thanks greg

If you don't plan on ever using a scope I think the WGRS is the way to go, it's WAY cheaper than the NECG peep + Warne base

I have been working with making a viable full conical - I have chosen to use the Lehigh/Bloodline .500x325 gr. In my Ulite the bullet is a near fit.

To make it fit I do work a knurling project into the bullet giving me the fit that I need... here are some pictures showing what I am doing..

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
IMG_20150629_183703372.jpgIMG_20150629_185725757.jpgThe file sure does a nice job of knurling the bullet,, Mike I knurled some from the last batch you sent me for testing and this is what I come up with . The bullets are Bloodline
bullets Mike sent me , One is knurled at .020 pressure on my lathe and made conical on them at the same time,The other pressure is set at .030 ,,They both slide down the bore of my ML and hold good ,,

View attachment 26353View attachment 26354The file sure does a nice job of knurling the bullet,, Mike I knurled some from the last batch you sent me for testing and this is what I come up with . The bullets are Bloodline
bullets Mike sent me , One is knurled at .020 pressure on my lathe and made conical on them at the same time,The other pressure is set at .030 ,,They both slide down the bore of my ML and hold good ,,

Gosh I was I had the ability to work a lathe do the knurling the way you are doing it!!! That would make life so much easier.

Robert, I have a small concern on the one bullet that you created the powder cup in. As I look at the picture I an not sure the wall of the cavity is thin enough to expand/obturate out against the bore to seal the gas behind the bullet. It might I do not know for sure but brass is pretty tough stuff as compared to lead or copper. If it doesn't you may loose pressure and the bullet will not reach peak RPM.

If you look at this picture you can see how thin Lehigh has cut this wall.

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I was wondering about that , I cut it with a center cut 3/8 end mill , I need to find a special size end mill ,7/16 if they make one or maybe a drill bit , The conical on the Lehigh is .144 deep and looks like he uses a end mill to cut it ,, Wife and I are headed to sportsmans warehouse
Is afternoon and you know why we are going there ,,

I was wondering about that , I cut it with a center cut 3/8 end mill , I need to find a special size end mill ,7/16 if they make one or maybe a drill bit , The conical on the Lehigh is .144 deep and looks like he uses a end mill to cut it ,, Wife and I are headed to sportsmans warehouse
Is afternoon and you know why we are going there ,,

I am telling you right now and really offering this WARNING! do not pick up one of those Ultra Lites! Do not shoulder it - do not work the bolt or pull the trigger and do not remove the bolt and look at it (by the way Lehigh makes that part also... It will be totally emotional when you have to put it back in the rack!!!!!

Then along the lines here are a few pics...

The first pic shows a Bloodline 50x325 I knurled but notice I did not knurl the area at the bottom of the bullet. This allows me to insert the bullet in the crown of the barrel.

With the bullet resting in the crown - it really makes it easy to push down with the rod or a short starter.

And finally - gosh this is a nice rifle!:):):D

OP
G

gwl79902

WKR
Ole Hunter if your are looking at the ultra lite sportsman w is the best price I can find. I think I got the last one at the Bend store but I am sure they will get more. I will look next time I am by there if you want

ole hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I read the warning to late,,, LOL ,, Wife and I went to Sportsman ware house today and a new Knight Ultra lite followed us home ,, Wife wouldn't let me carry it up front ,,Said something about other drivers might Freak out ,, Naw they will want one too... Ready to go hunt ,,Thank you Sabotloader ,,, Mike ,,, For all the help ,,,anybody interested in a CVA Accura V2 NW , I know where theres one for sale,,,LOL

Attachments

• IMG_20150701_183808067.jpg
    IMG_20150701_183808067.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20150701_183920219.jpg
    IMG_20150701_183920219.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20150701_153557086.jpg
    IMG_20150701_153557086.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 20