Finally did it... Hacked on my Jetboil Ti

jm1607

WKR
Been threatening to do this for years and finally got the free time and balls to do it! I'm super pleased with the results. I was originally inspired by this guy although I had different plans/needs: http://hikelighter.com/2013/11/27/jetboil-sol-ti-titanium-cup-resizing-modification/

I cut the jetboil cup with a hacksaw very carefully then filed the lip to make sure it wasn't sharp anywhere (it looks sharp in the pics but it's not). The height I chose was just so everything fit in there snug (about 18oz capacity), perfect amount for my MH's and morning coffee. The outer sleeve was cut with scissors very easily. All modifying took about 40 min.

I'm using the BRS stove: http://www.amazon.com/BRS-Ultraligh...UTF8&qid=1435765103&sr=8-1&keywords=brs+stove

I don't like it as much as my Soto Windmaster and it boils a little bit slower, but it's about 2oz less and the mass is way smaller allowing me to chop down the jetboil more. Plus, if I ever wanted to bring the Windmaster I could, it just won't fit in the jetboil anymore. One other quick note on the BRS, it doesn't jive with the fins on the bottom of the jetboil well at all. I took a screwdriver and gently bent a few fins where the stove sits and now it sits on the stove pretty sturdy. The "slots" that you see in the pics that I cut into the bottom of the cup was for when I was using my Soto that required them, the BRS does not (only the fin bending).

The cup/lid is a Snow Peak for my coffee and the spork is a Vargo titanium (I have a piece of guyline on it because I always lose it!!). One thing that's nice about the Snow Peak cup once you cut it is that it fits absolutely perfectly, where before it was a little too tight because of the top rolled lip.

System together:
20150630_150723.jpg

System opened:
20150630_150740.jpg

Setup:
20150630_150839.jpg

Total weight with full fuel canister:
20150630_150951.jpg

Total weight of everything minus fuel:
20150630_150916.jpg

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Weight of cup only (with cut sleeve):
20150630_150926.jpg

Truthfully, I like how small the whole setup is now even more than the oz's I shaved off. It's so cute and small and easily fits in my pack anywhere now.

Last edited:

Ironman8

WKR
"Cute" huh? Hopefully that's not what you start calling your hunting partners after a few days in the backcountry... :p

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
"Cute" huh? Hopefully that's not what you start calling your hunting partners after a few days in the backcountry... :p

Ha! "You sure do have a purdy mouth"

Looks awesome. How much weight did you end up taking off?

Before I started hacking I weighed it with the Soto stove and without the Bic mini and it came to 20.25oz. The BRS weighs approximately 1.6oz less than the Soto and the Bic weighs approximately .4oz. So.... I guess I cut about 4.25oz (or 4.65oz if you take into account I can run one less bic in my fire kit). But, that's weight savings after switching to the Soto and Vargo spork and stuff. Compared to the stock Ti setup I've cut it down a ton more than that.

Last edited:
Nice work. I love my Jet Boil Ti and recently changed out the massive burner for a lighter burner. That was a significant weight savings. I am reluctant to cut down the cup. I keep looking for a good light and tight lid. Is there a good alternative our there? I bought a carbon fiber lid but it doesn't work for holding everything together. Can you buy the Snow Peak lid separately?

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Nice work. I love my Jet Boil Ti and recently changed out the massive burner for a lighter burner. That was a significant weight savings. I am reluctant to cut down the cup. I keep looking for a good light and tight lid. Is there a good alternative our there? I bought a carbon fiber lid but it doesn't work for holding everything together. Can you buy the Snow Peak lid separately?

The Snow Peak "cup" is nice because it doubles as a mug (not the best mug in the world but it works!), so you don't have to bring a separate one. It fits tight, no way it's coming off in your pack. Yep, you can buy it by itself:

http://snowpeak.com/products/silicone-cup-for-mini-solo?variant=671171273

abela

FNG
Hey jm1607, registered to say awesome job!! Brilliant discovery that the SP cup works as a very secure lid. Any objections to me republishing a couple of your photos? I suspect my readers/followers over at hikelighter and my fb page would LOVE to see what you have done!

• Banned
OP
jm1607

jm1607

WKR
Hey jm1607, registered to say awesome job!! Brilliant discovery that the SP cup works as a very secure lid. Any objections to me republishing a couple of your photos? I suspect my readers/followers over at hikelighter and my fb page would LOVE to see what you have done!

Thanks man! No prob, republish away! I can take more pics if you like..

I can't take credit for the SP cup trick. I read it somewhere a while back and I don't know who it was or where I read it.. May have been on rokslide but I can't remember..

Last edited: