Recommended transport companies for Alaskan Caribou Hunting

Boddy1

FNG
Who do you guys recommend. My group was going to drive the Haul Road, but now we are thinking a drop camp would be the way to go.

Stid2677

WKR
From Fairbanks,,

Wrights Air or Brooks Range Aviation, Wright's can fly you from Fairbanks to the bush and they have daily service to Bettles to use Brooks Range to get into the field.

Drive from Fairbanks to Cold Foot,, then fly with Coyote Air.

Drive from Fairbanks or fly into Deadhorse and use 70 North flying from either Deadhorse or Happy Valley.

Those 3 are who I have used and would recommend. There are others

montee77

FNG
This is our first trip to Alaska this year we our flying with brookes range aviation late august I will let you know how it goes.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Wright Air out of Fairbanks is top notch as is Brooks Range Aviation. I hear good things about Coyote Air but have not used them.

Lil-Rokslider
I have used all the above with great service from all. Coyote Air will probably be hard to get if you have never flown with them before. He mostly has repeat customer and they have first option. Good luck

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Brooks Range Aviation has been a little difficult for people to use this season already. I believe the owner Jay had some surgical recovery and their operation may be struggling a bit. The pilot they have working for them to cover Jay is not as experienced, so be cautious and shop around until things recover for them. They are a top-notch provider though when things are running smoothly.

The drop camp and river float providers on the North Slope are competitive. Right now 70 North is one of the better and most reliable transporters out of Happy Valley, but his areas are pretty crowded for river drops.

You might consider avoiding the Slope caribou and focus on 40-mile animals and do a drop hunt out of FBKS. Use Wright Air for sure. The hunt is registration but easy to get a tag and the prices for drop offs are reasonable. Just a thought.

LB

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
70 North will drop hunters off in the same area you are hunting so keep that in mind. It's all about the $$$$$.

montee77

FNG
Just curious Larry what kind of difficulties there have been with BRA we our flying with them August 28th for our first caribou hunt.

MWH

FNG
I'm also flying with BRA on 9/7 for caribou and would like to know what difficulties other hunters are having before trying to ask Judy about it.

power54

FNG
Any updates on BRA from folks that hunted with them in 2015? We are looking to book a trip with them in 2016 but I'm curious what the current status is. Any info would be much appreciated.

BRA is top notch....
I would have no hesitation booking a trip with them. I flew with them this past season and they went above and beyond to take care of our needs. I do not know whether Jay will be flying next fall, but the pilot who is flying Beavers and the Otter in his place, is an excellent, experienced pilot.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
I flew with BRA quite about 6 years ago and even back then Jay had two other pilots that worked for him. So chances are that if you fly with BRA you may not fly with Jay anyway. The pilot that flew us was solid. I would love to fly out of Bettles again some time with BRA.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
BRA has always serviced my friends and me with consistent operations. They are usually very clear to hunters what to expect and what NOT to do for gear choices (if you ask them).

Best advice is to pack light and be flexible on logistics and locations. Life is not "normal" in Bettles, so dont expect much from the scene except air support.

larry

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
BRA has always serviced my friends and me with consistent operations. They are usually very clear to hunters what to expect and what NOT to do for gear choices (if you ask them).

Best advice is to pack light and be flexible on logistics and locations. Life is not "normal" in Bettles, so dont expect much from the scene except air support.

larry

Larry, I like your statement about Bettles not being "normal.
The thermarest only did so so on the concrete floor of the hangar and a 6 pack of beer was $26.00.

Randy