Well, here we go!

madx250

FNG
I'm stoked we now have a place to bs . about packing and riding the backcountry! . I currently have a pack mule being trained for riding at Reds saddle mules in Benson az.I expect him to have power steering when I get him back.lol.Have any of you sent a mule out to a trainer? How were the results?

No trainers for me although I picked up most of mine already broke in. The main deal for me is just keeping them used. Very tough this time of year in wickenburg az. I'm dragging them all up north right now for some workouts and fireworks. Its the day to day work they need that's tough in the heat. A few night rides and rounpen workouts is all I can seem to get in.

Very cool!

I've never owned stock and am pretty sure I never will but every wrangler I've met in the backcountry has been good people. And I find the idea pretty awesome.

I did spend a week with the family at a dude ranch in Darango Co. once and had a blast bombing around the countryside on horseback. I can see how the lifestyle can be addicting.

So I look forward to reading these threads just for general knowledge.

And just to let anybody here in Wa. know, after years of a lot of training and effort, my spaniel now pretty much ignores horses and mules, ya know, just in case someone wants to invite me along :).

rayporter

WKR
MPH
have you been to the carson NF?

we spent the last several days in nothwest ark. on about the roughest country we can find.

elkhunter71

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to se this added. I make my living training horses and mules for a living. I love packing into the back country. I have had two outfitting business in my life one in Alaska and on in Colorado. We still put on a couple of packing clinics every year. If I can help anyone let me know.

elkhunter71

Lil-Rokslider
Yep we have a lot of cutters. Just waiting on my youngest to graduate and then I'm moving back to the mountains. Only a year and a half to go. I can't wait.

Funny we are doing the same, my girl has one more year and we are eye balling Colorado mtns. Good luck I hope we make it.

Good deal, I have talked to a few in co myself, they are always looking for good help is what I was told. Only thing is I want to go hunting myself so I doubt I will do much outfit work.
We are looking real hard at cortez area so we are not too far from az family.

ChadS

Lil-Rokslider
Elkhunter71, if you packed out of platoro then I bet we have laid eyes on a lot of the same country. I spent a lot of time up there playing games with the elk.