Goats and the like

lak2004

WKR
I have no stock...yet. One day I was thinking about having some pack goats, but I know very little about the subject. Anyone have some advice or links to quality information? Either that or other animals that require a little less acreage and are easy to care for/train?

I like the idea of mules, but I have never been around them or horses hardly at all.

My dogs have backpacks, but the most they would be able to carry out would be a couple quail or grouse :D

cowboy300

WKR
I have buddies that do and they love them. Goats are a great option for really dry or really rough country. They are very low maintenance as far as food and water goes in the backcountry. They are good for 30 to 40lbs packing and can do 60lbs for shorter distances. You dont even need a trailer if you have a pickup just throw them in the back. You will need to get them young so they imprint and follow you like a dog. They have had mixed results buying older goats.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping when we move back to CO to get on a little chunk of acreage to raise a few.

bbell

WKR
IMG_1196.jpeg
Here are my goats. A friend used them for a hunt here in Oregon. He liked it but I needed to condition them better. They pretty pooped he said.😀

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
Sweet, thanks for sharing! Did they haul an animal out for him?

bbell

WKR
No, him and his buddy weren't able to connect. Would've been a cool pic too.

MattB

WKR
Goats are awesome, but don't take them into places that have wild sheep due to possible disease transmission issues.

View attachment 29922
Here's a studly forum member packing goats. (Not me)
They are very nice in that they don't have to have water and feed like a horse but can't carry as much or you. Also when roaming about camp they get into all your crap so have to keep and eye on them.

Did he just take 1 goat? I thought you needed to keep them in pairs at least as they are a social pack animal.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
I like the idea of pack animals, I just honestly know nothing about them, which is why goats appeal to me because they seem easier than horses or mules.

Any thoughts on goats vs llamas?

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a couple pack goats. I'm pretty jacked to use them. I have horses and use them too but I'm hoping these goats fill a niche I'm looking for.

OP
lak2004

lak2004

WKR
I just bought a couple pack goats. I'm pretty jacked to use them. I have horses and use them too but I'm hoping these goats fill a niche I'm looking for.

Sweet! Did you get them as kids or already trained, etc?

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
They're 5 year old twin brothers. They're Nubian boer cross if I remember right. I've got all the gear they used to pack with. They just follow you around like a couple of dogs, it's pretty cool.

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
I never thought about doing this with my two nubians. Not a bad idea

Stefan

Lil-Rokslider
They're 5 year old twin brothers. They're Nubian boer cross if I remember right. I've got all the gear they used to pack with. They just follow you around like a couple of dogs, it's pretty cool.

My two old girls do the same thing. It can be annoying sometimes because they like to get in your way when you are trying to do something.