Chronograph recommendations?

bates

WKR
Magneto speed is great, easy to use, very accurate on es and sd, hard to beat for the money. I think everyone should own one who is serious about being a better shot or extending their shooting distance.

I have owned Oehler, pvm-08 etc and prefer the magneto bc of it ease of use and it reads all the time

I do think I will like the Labradar better b/c you just set up and shoot so you can shoot multiple guns and you don't have the magneto speed attached to barrel (in my experience the magneto speed doesn't effect group size but can POI)

I shoot with and without Cans so it is a little bit of pain to set up the magneto for them

Shrek

WKR
I'd wait for the Lab Radar. I have the Magnetospeed and it works great but it changes point of impact and opens the group on the thin barrels so I can't work pressure and velocity at the same time I work accuracy. Ideal is to be as to do both at the same time and the Lab Radar should do that. No way I'll ever go back to an optical unit.

IAHNTR

WKR
I'd wait till Labradar irons out their kinks and actually are available, after who knows how many setbacks they've had. If ya don't want to spend that much the magnetospeed is awesome. I used it on 3 guns last weekend and works every time. I just use it after load workup to get an idea of speed and then confirm with actual shooting.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys I will have to check them all out, great information. I was thinking of staying away from the optical units for sure.

KMD

Banned
I just use it (Magnetospeed) after load workup to get an idea of speed and then confirm with actual shooting.

Me too.

Have noticed up to 0.3mil POI shift on a #3 contour barrel, but accuracy seems to hold IF the strap stays tight. Still, I do as IA HNTR stated above, and slap it on after I find an accuracy node that warrants further consideration.
LabRadar looks very cool, but I don't dawdle on load development enough to warrant getting one. Find a good load & velocity true it at distance in conjunction with a Doppler proven bullet drag profile, and chrono data becomes more a convenience than a necessity. And the Magnetospeed wins in the convenience category...

I'd wait for the Lab Radar. I have the Magnetospeed and it works great but it changes point of impact and opens the group on the thin barrels so I can't work pressure and velocity at the same time I work accuracy. Ideal is to be as to do both at the same time and the Lab Radar should do that. No way I'll ever go back to an optical unit.

Email reply from them said first batch has been sold out and unknown for next batch. Counting on Shrek to be the first on rokslide to aquire and run it thru the wringer. Your review and enthusiasm with the magnetospeed put one in my hands

Me too.

Have noticed up to 0.3mil POI shift on a #3 contour barrel, but accuracy seems to hold IF the strap stays tight. Still, I do as IA HNTR stated above, and slap it on after I find an accuracy node that warrants further consideration.
LabRadar looks very cool, but I don't dawdle on load development enough to warrant getting one. Find a good load & velocity true it at distance in conjunction with a Doppler proven bullet drag profile, and chrono data becomes more a convenience than a necessity. And the Magnetospeed wins in the convenience category...

I have had a Magnetospeed for approx. 2.5 yrs.
I use it on handguns only (revolvers) and it does very well!!
One thing I have found that helps with the strap slipping on the barrel is to place a wrap of 2-sided tape on the barrel where you
place the strap.
It works even with hard kicking calibers, (.454, .500 Wyoming = 400 gr at 1575fps)!!!

Bob

Shrek

WKR
Email reply from them said first batch has been sold out and unknown for next batch. Counting on Shrek to be the first on rokslide to aquire and run it thru the wringer. Your review and enthusiasm with the magnetospeed put one in my hands

I love my Magnetospeed ! It really works good and there wasn't the Lab Radar on the horizon when I bought mine. It will be some time before I'll jump to a Lab Radar as the Magnetospeed does the job so well. Heck , last I've read is the first shipment of Lab Radar is due in September now and you're telling me it's already sold out. To the OP , buy a Magnetospeed and get on with life !

Jay03

WKR
I use a oehler 35 and wont be changing to the magneto speed anytime soon for a few simple reason. I can shoot my bow through my oehler and would not be able too with the magneto, and im not sure about the labradar. Also work up loads for ES and group size at the same time with the oehler. The magneto speed being attached to the barrel will change barrel harmonics and POI. So youll basically be loading double the ammo to work up a load. Some for velocity and spread and some for shooting groups for size. I guess it depends on how picky you want to get. The magneto speed looks incredibly simple and easy setup. But my oehler always reads extremely accurate and never had issues with consistency. I can shoot whatever I want through it whether it be pistols, rifles, and my bows. Also i already have the Oehler, maybe if i was starting fresh it would be different but I like what I have and it works very well.

got this email today. hope someone on here buys one and gives a solid report.......shrek?
TCK, LLC the exclusive distributors for LabRadar has recently received the first shipment. These units have all been sold to shooters, forensic centers, law enforcement agencies and writers throughout the U.S. and Canada. Infinition, Inc., the manufacturer of LabRadar anticipates another shipment to TCK in early October. These units will be sold on a first come, first serve basis to individuals and all authorized dealers in the U.S and Canada. You can now complete your pre-order on our website www.buymylabradar.com. Credit cards will not be charged until the units are ready to ship. PayPal payments are charged immediately.

OP
beetlespin

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I completely forgot about how useful it would be for archery, am i pretty much back to an optical chrony then? I guess its cheaper and I will not be spending a ton of time with the unit. Mostly to test my preferred handloads, not constantly curious about speed. the bow would be helpful as well.

tstowater

WKR
I got the same email on the Lab Radar. I don't want to be the guinea pig for the amount of money these cost. Some of my main applications would be 6mm, 22's, 20's and 17's so I'm quite hesitant to spend the money if the software issues haven't been solved. Also, sounds like they aren't ready to ship yet, unless I am misreading the email.

tstowater

WKR
Any updates on the Lab Radars? Curious if anyone else has had a chance to get their hands on one? I know Jeff is busy hauling dead critters off the mountains.
Really hesitant to spend the dollars if won't do the little bullets.

KMD

Banned
Todd, my original Magnetospeed reliably clocked a .172 caliber 30gr Kindler Gold @ ~4100 fps, and so does my new V3...