DIY poor mans kifarwho

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I looked into upgrading the belt and shoulder straps. I read somewhere that someone actually put HPG shoulder straps on their kifaru. I never could find where to buy them. I looked at kifaru's duplex belt. You can buy it for $80. Say you bought shoulder straps and belt for around 100-150 total. That is most of a frame. Then you just need to do what i did. Stays are crazy simple to make. Even composite stays are cake once you have made bow limbs. If i can get my hands on a kifaru i feel pretty sure that i could make a dang close replica for half price or less.

Last edited:
OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
My cordura came in and i finally got around to making a cargo panel. If i made another, i would do it a little differently mainly to make construction easier and make it a touch more tidy. Regardless, it functions very well so far. The last ruck i did before i made the panel, i had some issues with the weight shifting around when using just 3 straps. Given a weight plate is more difficult to secure well than just about anything. Its round, rigid, and the strap has to go around 90 degrees turns. I took the cargo panel for a spin last night with 90#s of bumper plates. The panel performed flawlessly. Weight did not move. I designed it to be infinitely adjustable in length. The straps that go the length of it just slide through the webbing. The buckles can be removed to remove the strap from lower webbing loops. The excess at the bottom can just be folded or rolled up.

The hip belt simply has to go. That thing is garbage under that much weight. It pushes straight down my back and the buckle pulls up high. No idea why they designed that belt to curve up in the front.
6302015124920.jpg6302015124855.jpg

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same thoughts for my ILBE on the hip belt. I took a chance and bought a Duplex belt and it fits great on the existing stays. I was looking for a thinner belt with the PALS webbing to add pouches to. Definitely an upgrade from the military belt! Here's some crappy pics I had on my cell phone.
View attachment 27439
View attachment 27438

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
WW, pics wont open for me. Im heavily leaning towards the duplex belt. Its cheaper than the HPG belt amd maybe they will knock some off the price when i finally buy a kifaru since i would already have a belt. Shoot me a text w pics if u dont mind. 9032757238

WoodsWalker270

Lil-Rokslider

Sorry about that. Let me know if you want any other views. The ILBE stays slide right into the pockets on the belt. There are two belt straps on the Duplex. One attaches to the bag and the other I just tucked into the front Omni pocket.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
Nice thanks. I went ahead and ordered one. I emailed them and asked about wait time and they said it would take around 2 weeks. I assume that is before shipping. So i figured i better get on it so i will have some time to do some heavy hikes with it. We are hunting 3rd week of september. They kind of stick it to you on shipping. Im pretty sure it doesnt cost $20 to ship that thing. I was unimpressed with that little detail. I guess thays marketing at its finest. Hook with a lower price and then jack it up with shipping charges after the customer is committed in their mind.

OP
WoodBow

WoodBow

WKR
I knocked out the bag this morning. Kept it extremely basic. It all went together witout a hitch. I kept the existing lid. 6312015164821.jpg6312015164739.jpg6312015164752.jpg

You've got some skills brother! The build is looking great. I've got a winter project in the works. Gonna try and make a suspension for an old camp trails frame.