quart ziploc question

i know quite a few people are using quart freezer bags for cooking or repacking meals, so help me out. id like to pick up some that have the flat bottom. what brand have you found?

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
I just use the regular quart ziplock bags and have never been like.. Damn I wish this bag had a flat bottom, but to each their own and I'm sure Dr. Google could help you out. I will say that I stick with the name brand (ziplock) bags.

colonel00

WKR
I have to agree with GFY, the bags aren't nearly as rigid as say a MH pouch, especially when they have hot food in them. Even with a flat bottom they will most likely just droop down. If you are cooking in a freezer bag, are you using a cozy to hold the bag while reheating? I will often just leave the freezer bag in the cozy while eating and it will hold it up just fine.

OP
fillthefreezer
im using the freezer bags inside a washed out mountain house bag. i just remember someone saying they had found some flat bottom one that seemed to work better.

colonel00

WKR
Hmm, I do remember someone putting up a link to vacuum bags that were a little thicker material and had the standing bottom. I'll have to look for it.

I would just continue to use the regular quart bags and make a flat bottom'd cozy out of reflectix. probably be cheaper in the long run and hold heat better than a MH bag. I have been snagging up reflectix window shades at the dollar store to make pot and mug cozies for buddies.

I would just continue to use the regular quart bags and make a flat bottom'd cozy out of reflectix. probably be cheaper in the long run and hold heat better than a MH bag. I have been snagging up reflectix window shades at the dollar store to make pot and mug cozies for buddies.

Do you just sew them together?

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Standard ziplocks to do eggs in the jet boil. A little workup from a a year ago.

Alright so I like eggs and I have dried different brands of freeze dried eggs and didnt like them. So last year someone here recommended OVAEASY egg crystals so I tried them. The Jetboil or similar stoves get to hot to cook them in like a real stove and they get scorched or burned on even the low setting making a mess. Anyway after doing some experimenting I figured out a way to cook them and they come out perfect.

1. Add 3/4 of a cup of water to the jet boil.
2. In a small sandwich ziplock bag add your eggs and water by volume just like you were cooking them on a stove.
2a. Add any extras like bacon ham salt pepper etc to the mix.
3. Zip the bag and shake vigorously for about a minute.
4 Put in jet boil and fire it up. the bag will float and you don't want it to touch the bottom.
5. Bring to boil and as the eggs cook occasionally remove the bag and kneed the egg mix with your hands. Careful the mix is hot. About half way through leave the bag open to let a little water from the eggs evaporate.
6 As the eggs cook you will notice water from the mix when this happens the eggs are done.
7.Pour out the little bit of water in the bags and they are ready to eat right out of the bag..
8 Total cook time approximately 5 minutes and no mess to clean up.

I make reflectix pouches and I tape them with aluminum hvac tape. Try to fold it neatly so the tape isn't on a fold and they last a long time.

Finch

WKR
I use the Standard ziplocks to do eggs in the jet boil. A little workup from a a year ago.

Alright so I like eggs and I have dried different brands of freeze dried eggs and didnt like them. So last year someone here recommended OVAEASY egg crystals so I tried them. The Jetboil or similar stoves get to hot to cook them in like a real stove and they get scorched or burned on even the low setting making a mess. Anyway after doing some experimenting I figured out a way to cook them and they come out perfect.

1. Add 3/4 of a cup of water to the jet boil.
2. In a small sandwich ziplock bag add your eggs and water by volume just like you were cooking them on a stove.
2a. Add any extras like bacon ham salt pepper etc to the mix.
3. Zip the bag and shake vigorously for about a minute.
4 Put in jet boil and fire it up. the bag will float and you don't want it to touch the bottom.
5. Bring to boil and as the eggs cook occasionally remove the bag and kneed the egg mix with your hands. Careful the mix is hot. About half way through leave the bag open to let a little water from the eggs evaporate.
6 As the eggs cook you will notice water from the mix when this happens the eggs are done.
7.Pour out the little bit of water in the bags and they are ready to eat right out of the bag..
8 Total cook time approximately 5 minutes and no mess to clean up.

Thanks for this! I have a package of Ovaeasy that I was planning on taking with me. It was gonna be an experiment on the hunt. I'm sure it'll go a lot smoother now.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Yes sir this works perfect with the jet boil or any other similar stove. Mark
Thanks for this! I have a package of Ovaeasy that I was planning on taking with me. It was gonna be an experiment on the hunt. I'm sure it'll go a lot smoother now.

GFY

Lil-Rokslider
I make reflectix pouches and I tape them with aluminum hvac tape. Try to fold it neatly so the tape isn't on a fold and they last a long time.

i do the same and make mine big enough to hold multiple dinners at a time. Often there are 3 of us and we all bring our own stoves, once we have boiled and added the water to our meals we stick them in the cozy and wait for them to get done. But we do not all bring a cozy as the one I built out of an rv side window covering is big enough to fit all of the meals. With all three hot meals in the cozy the food stays very hot.

OP
fillthefreezer
thats awesome. i just got a sample pack of ovaeasy from one of my office guys. the cal/o is killer and im pretty excited for it. this helps me not screw it up entirely first round.