Kuiu Icon Packs

xcutter

WKR
I'm thinking about purchasing a used 2012 Icon 5000 and a 1850. The 5000 has the carbon frame and the 1850 comes with the adapter for putting the frame on it.

Should I pack both of these packs in when setting up a spike camp? I will be using leg power only. No horses or ATV's.

Would it be a good idea to pack the 1850 as a day pack but also take the 5000 to get all my stuff to camp? Then swap the frame to the 1850 for a day pack?

Is the 5000 a good day pack or to big?

Are these good packs? Any negative reviews? Positive reviews?

I appreciate everyone's comments.

kickemall

WKR
I wouldn't pack the 1850 and the 5000 is fine for a day pack. No, these are not good packs and I like Kuiu. The Ultra and Icon Pro are both quality packs but the original Icon series had more than its share of problems. Some people have had good luck with them but there are some serious, trip ruining flaws that seemed to occur a little to frequently. I would definitely go a a different direction. Good luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't pack the 1850 and the 5000 is fine for a day pack. No, these are not good packs and I like Kuiu. The Ultra and Icon Pro are both quality packs but the original Icon series had more than its share of problems. Some people have had good luck with them but there are some serious, trip ruining flaws that seemed to occur a little to frequently. I would definitely go a a different direction. Good luck!

Kickemall very political correct statement. A broken frame will ruin a trip in a hurry

While I agree there have been some issues with broken frames I think they are far a few between and often there was something that happened prior to cause the break. I had a 2013 icon 1850 with frame and hauled some massive loads with that pack. I didn't quite like how the lumbar section fit my back so I sold it and now have an EXO. I never had any durability concerns with the Icon.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
Just fyi guys. Bought an Icon 5200 last year. Used in on a MT elk hunt for 8 days, trained with it for a few months before Sept with never exceeding more than 60lbs in it ever. Also used it this spring turkey hunting for hauling my blind. Started packing it up yesterday and the carbon frame broke by both mainstays. Now i'm wondering if they'll replace it with an Icon Pro 5200 or are the new frames compatible with the old Icon.

The packs been okay but i'm thinking if they send me a new 5200 Pro i'm either going to try it and see what I think of it or bite the bullet and order a Sky 5100 Stone Glacier. Time will tell!

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Were there any problems with the 2012 frame? Seems like everything I've been reading says the 2011 were the ones with the biggest problem of the frames breaking and cracking.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
I don't remember how the 2012 frames were. I'm sure you'll find someone on here that will chime in. As of right now I wouldn't buy a used Kuiu because it will not be covered under warranty if it does break. You have to be the original owner of the pack..... I would seriously try find a new frame Kuiu or buy yourself a used Kifaru/Stone Glacier. Might spend a little more now but you won't be having the issues as I am right now.

mk_v

WKR
I don't remember how the 2012 frames were. I'm sure you'll find someone on here that will chime in. As of right now I wouldn't buy a used Kuiu because it will not be covered under warranty if it does break. You have to be the original owner of the pack..... I would seriously try find a new frame Kuiu or buy yourself a used Kifaru/Stone Glacier. Might spend a little more now but you won't be having the issues as I am right now.

Have you talked to kuiu? Just curious how they are going to handle

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I agree there have been some issues with broken frames I think they are far a few between and often there was something that happened prior to cause the break. I had a 2013 icon 1850 with frame and hauled some massive loads with that pack. I didn't quite like how the lumbar section fit my back so I sold it and now have an EXO. I never had any durability concerns with the Icon.

Just fyi guys. Bought an Icon 5200 last year. Used in on a MT elk hunt for 8 days, trained with it for a few months before Sept with never exceeding more than 60lbs in it ever. Also used it this spring turkey hunting for hauling my blind. Started packing it up yesterday and the carbon frame broke by both mainstays. Now i'm wondering if they'll replace it with an Icon Pro 5200 or are the new frames compatible with the old Icon.

The packs been okay but i'm thinking if they send me a new 5200 Pro i'm either going to try it and see what I think of it or bite the bullet and order a Sky 5100 Stone Glacier. Time will tell!

Man that sucks. I hope kuiu takes care of you. Maybe you should post a picture so others can see where the frame fatigues at and guys can watch the trouble spot for cracking

I'm not sure what people are doing with their packs, but I have an 1850 icon and 6000 ultra. Both have performed flawlessly and I live in Colorado. I use them all the time, have hauled 2 muleys and 2 bulls with them with no problem.

str_8tup

Lil-Rokslider
I will let you guys know how Kuiu takes care of it. As far as IF they will, I will make sure they stand behind it. Not even a year old pack and the frames broke from normal use. When time allows I will also post up some pictures.

Again, never had over 60 lbs I would say in in. I sure hope the new frame is better. I've heard the Icon Pro is quite a bit better, is this true from guys using them?

If you bought it used, the frame could have actually been broken by the previous owner and just failed on you. Carbon Fiber and Composites in general, while a wonderful material with great strength to weight properties, is often misunderstood even by the manufacturers. Even within the aerospace industry it has taken many years to master it's use. Composites rarely fail catastrophically. They usually crack under heavy stress and then fail under normal loads sometime later. This is why even the smallest bubble is a big deal with CF and why manufacturing large continuous pieces is extremely difficult (look up Boeing's X-32 prototype). Most composite manufacturers will add foam (or wood) to a composite to give it rigidity, but since the Kuiu packs don't have that they will flex which over time can cause weak spots and stress fractures. I would think that if you plan on keeping it down around 60lbs with only going over once a year or so you'd be fine, but if you plan on regularly exceeding that is think about upgrading. I have talked to some very experienced people and I guess the failure point on the new frame is no longer up in the stays like the old Icon, but in the small of the back just above the lumbar pad.

Last edited:

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
I will let you guys know how Kuiu takes care of it. As far as IF they will, I will make sure they stand behind it. Not even a year old pack and the frames broke from normal use. When time allows I will also post up some pictures.

Was this purchased from the clearance section when they were clearing them out? If so I believe that they sell all of that stuff as is without warranties. If that is the case it may be tough to get it fixed however I wouldnt be surprised if they took care of you anyway. If it was not a clearance item you should be golden.

Olydog09

Lil-Rokslider
Again, never had over 60 lbs I would say in in. I sure hope the new frame is better. I've heard the Icon Pro is quite a bit better, is this true from guys using them?

View attachment 27355

View attachment 27356

I couldnt see the pics for some reason. I have a Pro on order and I had the 2012 model before. When it arrives I will check it out and tell you what I think.

dotman

WKR
If you bought it used, the frame could have actually been broken by the previous owner and just failed on you. Carbon Fiber and Composites in general, while a wonderful material with great strength to weight properties, is often misunderstood even by the manufacturers. Even within the aerospace industry it has taken many years to master it's use. Composites rarely fail catastrophically. They usually crack under heavy stress and then fail under normal loads sometime later. This is why even the smallest bubble is a big deal with CF and why manufacturing large continuous pieces is extremely difficult (look up Boeing's F-35 prototype). Most composite manufacturers will add foam (or wood) to a composite to give it rigidity, but since the Kuiu packs don't have that they will flex which over time can cause weak spots and stress fractures. I would think that if you plan on keeping it down around 60lbs with only going over once a year or so you'd be fine, but if you plan on regularly exceeding that is think about upgrading. I have talked to some very experienced people and I guess the failure point on the new frame is no longer up in the stays like the old Icon, but in the small of the back just above the lumbar pad.

Like this ultra frame.

Exactly like that, although you're lucky; I've heard of them breaking a little further down and then you have 2 fangs sinking into the small of your back. Was also told this could happen if you set your pack down too hard and the bottom of the frame hits the ground too hard.

Shrek

WKR
I can't believe you guys are badmouthing Kuiu packs !!!! OMG !!! They are the most innovative company ever and made with the finest mountain ingredients ! Besides , who cares if it won't last ? There will be a new model to buy every other month and you would be soooo last season with a dated pack ;). It's not how you perform in the long run , it's about how your new pack matches your new camo !

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Well I hope I don't regret it but I bought the 2012 Icon 5000 and 1850 out of the classifieds. I hope I don't have the same results with a broken frame. I won't have the warranty to get it fixed.