Non-res Sitka Blacktail in BC

MBMule

FNG
Does anyone know of any outfitters that offer non-residents the chance to hunt Sitka Blacktail deer in BC? You'd think that with the liberal bag limits on Haida Gwaii, somebody would offer hunts, but I can't find anything on Google and as of 2013, the latest post I could find, it sounds like nobody had anything set up there anymore.

I know that there's plenty of outfitters that offer Sitka Blacktail hunts in Alaska, but I know that they're also in BC and curious to find out if I can hunt them there.

Any help or tips would be great, thanks!

Sean

MattBC

FNG
You'll have to try Kevin Olmstead of prophet-muskwa outfitters, pretty sure they still have the outfit on haida gwaii unless they closed after the number of bear tags was cut?

OP
M

MBMule

FNG
I found an email address for Sean Olmstead and emailed him last week. I haven't heard back yet, but it is sheep season.

OP
M

MBMule

FNG
Yes, and GOABC has no outfitters listed for Sitka Blacktail when you narrow down the search parameters.

tater

WKR
Pure supposition on my part:

I know that a few years ago there were three First Nations looking to partner with several conservation groups to purchase some GO tenures in the northern part of the region. The hope was to buy the tenures and then close the areas to non-resident Grizzly bear hunting. With the tenures being held in this way, all other species would probably be closed as well.

It would jive with why there are several held but unlisted tenures in the area on the GOABC site (admittedly, not all GO's in BC are GOABC members).

Remember, it's just a theory but i'm sure obtaining a list of ownership of those tenures would be an interesting exercise.

OP
M

MBMule

FNG
Tater, I'd heard that from a couple of friends that are BC residents but was hoping that there might be someone still operating there.

325 wsm

FNG
There is no longer the opportunity to hunt the SB deer on the QUEEN CHARLOTTES. The Haida and the Greenies have bought the area out and shut it down to non res. hunters.

OP
M

MBMule

FNG
That's what I was afraid of. I'll keep looking into the permit to accompany as it doesn't look like anyone offers Sitka Blacktail hunts anywhere else in BC either.