Sleep System for Idaho in December

Myself and maybe a buddy are planning to bowhunt northern idaho for muleys in December. Right now my sleep system consists of an SO BT2 without a stove jack, Exped pad w/ R value of 4.1 (manufacturer rated to 10F)Borah bivy, and a JRB 10F quilt. I'm planning to spend as much as 10 days or more in the area in mid December. It may or may not be a backpack in type hunt, depending on where the deer are. I'm anticipating temperatures as low as 0F or a bit lower, and snowstorms as well. I sleep pretty warm and don't mind the cold, but 10 days with long dark nights in an inadequate sleep system could be miserable. Is a stove necessary, or just a luxury? If so, what sub-600 dollar shelter would you suggest to put a stove in plus two guys and gear?

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
It's cold. I'd get a stove if you can. There was a golite with stove jack in classifieds I think.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Last year it was -40 with the windchill at night for two weeks in nov/dec. The biggest issue would be if clothing gets wet. I would definitely bring a stove.

Shrek

WKR
Hotel room. That's too cold for me!! ;-)

That's what I did ! :) using a backpacking stove to keep warm in those conditions isn't going to happen day after day. You would spend all day gathering fuel and all night feeding the fire. It will allow you to get warmed up and dry out but your sleep system needs to be adequate for the conditions. I'd take my money and buy a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone MF and a Downmat 9.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Arctic Oven if you want to camp in comfort in cold temps.....expensive yes, heavy yes, but better than sleeping in the truck and firing up every 30 minutes ;)

Mike7

WKR
Not looking it up, I would guess that average nightly temps that time of year will be 15-30 degrees, but like Ryan said, we can get cold snaps (e.g. 2 wks of nightly 5 degree temps). Most of N. ID is typically not as cold as Montana, and generally, you can find a place to pitch your tent that is sheltered from the wind here. It also depends on where you are...it could be 20 degrees and snowing at Priest Lake and 32 degrees with freezing rain on the same day in Plummer, ID. The ground can be frozen without much snow, wet, or have snow deep enough to require snow anchors (usually then though, the animals will be down closer to the road). Also, motels can be a long drive from your hunt area.

I am a warm sleeper and think that your sleep system is fine, but details are important. Make sure you have a puffy hood with your quilt and make sure that your quilt is large enough that you can wrap the edges under you and wear clothing under it, without compressing it. Also as mentioned above, have a way to dry clothing.

A 6-8 person tipi with liner and ultralight stove would do everything you need, but is more expensive and a pain to re-pitch every night with 15-20 snow anchors or requires that many nails for frozen ground.
So for the $600 cost you mention above, versatility, efficiency, and considering the conditions above, I think I would get two shelters. Maybe a Luna 6 with stove jack and cheaper heavy larger car camping wood stove to leave back at the trailhead. Bring large nails also for pitching this in frozen ground also. And then, get a Big Agnes or even el cheapo Eureka 2-3 person 3-5 lb dome tent for nights you & your buddy bivy out (bring a contractor bag to put your pack in at night).

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could always put a stove jack in your BT2 and tell your buddy he needs to bring a tent just to sleep in. He can warm up and dry gear in yours.

I would get a canvas wall tent and barrel stove off craigslist and put it at the trailhead.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For winter hunts I wouldn't even consider heading out without a stove. And carrying a heavier shelter, a stove, a sub-zero bag, down pad, all the extra clothes, and all that food.........especially through heavy snow, is multiple times harder than doing that during September. Then you have to worry about keeping your water in a liquid state as well. Pumps freeze up too. Winter hunting takes a lot more prep and planning.

I'd be taking the wall tent and large wood burning stove, along with my -30 bag, cot, and thick foam sleeping pads.

Terrapin

WKR
I live up where you are talking about. In December you will have very short days... Maybe 7:00-4:00. In my opinion this negates the need to pack in camp. I have usually switched over to waterfowl by that time of year but I used to run cougar all winter up there. You should anticipate wind, rain, sleet, and snow. You will be wet. The fog can be oppressive. This isn't to discourage you. It can be a fun hunt; however, if you can't get dry, it will be a short hunt. I would not go out without a canvas wall tent and a big stove, that can burn for numerous hours in a row. Chainsaw for getting wood. Chains and winch for your truck. Heavy duty flat blade shovel. Snow shoes may be needed. Gore text rain gear over fleece over merino works well.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd add a stove to your shelter and a closed cell foam pad to go under your exiled and a nice warm hat to sleep in.

Yup, what Ryan said, it got cold here last fall.

Get a stove and a warmer pad. My winter pad is the Exped XP9 Downmat, it's very warm and toasty.

Add in a Kifaru Woobie or Doobie for extra insulation in case of extreme temps.

Anything wolf proof should be fine.

Yellowstone_Wolves.jpg