what to excpect in regards of bugs?

montee77

FNG
Just curious how bad the bugs are during the end of august, 1 st week of September on the brookes range? flying through Brookes Range Aviation

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Impossible to predict with any certainty, bugs up there can be terrible or a complete non issue. If I were going, I would throw in a head net, and a bottle of Ben's (100% deet). Minimal weight penalty, if you need them you will be glad to have them for sure!

Stid2677

WKR
Impossible to predict with any certainty, bugs up there can be terrible or a complete non issue. If I were going, I would throw in a head net, and a bottle of Ben's (100% deet). Minimal weight penalty, if you need them you will be glad to have them for sure!

++1

Like Becca said, hard to tell for sure, but I would think that the bugs probably won't be too big of a factor this year as the conditions up there (for the most part) have been warm and dry this summer. I was up there in mid August of '04, another year that was super warm and dry (are warmest year on record) with a lot of fires and the bugs were nonexistent.

Stid2677

WKR
Last year up high in sheep country.. I will have mine.

P8080091_zpsa4ba1f08.jpg

Ray

WKR
Make sure your head net has no-see-um mesh. Many cheap head net are a fairly large mesh for skeeters and allow gnats through. If the conditions are right the black fly and white socks could hang around into early september.

A small pump bottle of Ben's 100 lasts a long time, but not a full month on the slope when you are walking out to the coast. Many years ago I met two Germans in Kaktovik whose head nets had melted in a campfire accident and had not brought enough bug dope. Looked like zombies.

Last year up high in sheep country.. I will have mine.

P8080091_zpsa4ba1f08.jpg
No bugs were harmed or deterred in the taking of these pictures.:) We had bug dope and nets, but never used them. Just saying, it can go either way. The only reason we wore shirts was to keep from burning, as you can see we are both as white as the (Arctic summer) days are long.:)

Attachments

• 2006 caribou hunt-0040.jpg
    2006 caribou hunt-0040.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 2006 caribou hunt-0027.jpg
    2006 caribou hunt-0027.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 38