Hanwag Tatra/ Salewa Mountain Hiker GTX? Both on SALE!

Hanwag Tatra/ Salewa Mountain Trainer GTX? Both on SALE!

Im looking at these 2 boots as they both are on sell. The Salewa's I have coming from Backcountry $167 (ordered 2 sizes) and the Hanwags are on sell at Seirra Trading post. Would like to hear some opinions on these two or what the better brand is.

Last edited:

husky390

WKR
I have the Salewa Alps Trainer and it's a good boot but they are pretty narrow in the front which can cause your toes to rub against the inside of the boot. It hasn't caused blisters but can get uncomfortable. They are also pretty warm and don't seem to breathe very well. Other than that, I think Salewa makes a great boot.

I did try on some Hanwag Tatra's but they were nowhere near as comfortable as the Hanwag Lhasa's that I bought the same day. The nice thing about the Hanwags is you can oil them to keep them water proof instead of relying on Goretex. My Lhasa's are the most comfortable boots I've tried and own. You results may vary but good luck.

bounds

WKR
I have the Tatra's and love them. Used them elk hunting last fall and they were great. They make a leather lined and a Goretex version of the Tatra. I have the leather lined and you would have to oil/paste it for it to be waterproof.

The elk hunt I went on is usually dry but it decided to rain for 4 days straight last year. These were my only boots and I had not put a sealer on them to make them waterproof. So my feet were wet for 4 days. In spite of that, along with a ton of sidehilling, I didn't get one blister. I used a Superfeet Carbon insole and thought they were very comfortable.