Stolen Vintage Buck

paddlehead

Lil-Rokslider
My Grandpa shot this buck back in about 1969 with my Dad. They were on the Utah/Wyoming border. They returned home to Randolph to close up their gas station/feed rolling mill, and caped the head out to take to the taxidermist after closing. Someone filled up a tank of gas, grabbed the head, and split! This photo is the only one we have of the buck.

I cant even imagine seeing a buck like that, let alone keeping the composure to shoot it. I'm sure my Dad would be elated to see the buck again, but its probably long gone. My Grandpa killed a lot of big deer in his day, but this is the only one he felt was worth mounting, and unfortunately didn't get to.

Here is to yesteryear's mule deer! Maybe one day we all can have a year like this one, minus the stolen head part....

Grandpas Buck.jpg

For perspective, my Grandpa is about 6'-4"! Giant buck all the way around!

It makes me dream of seeing a buck like that and be able to take it out whole. I am sorry someone stole his buck, that is just horrible. There is no satisfaction of doing that. I am not sure I understand how people could put that on the wall and make up a story of how it was killed. I know for one, I couldn't do that. It would be hidden and I wouldn't be able to tell anyone about it. I guess that is just me. I hope someday the populations flourish like they once did.