Shrek's New 7mm WSM Build

Shrek

WKR
When I got back from Montana last fall I got the itch for a new 7mm wsm to replace the the one I had parted ways with earlier in the year. I thought about what I wanted and a MRC 1999 action fit the bill. I ended up talking to Matt Salm and he happened to have one in his safe he was willing to part with. We talked about what I wanted and I took him up on his offer to rebarrel his 300 wsm to 7mm wsm. Long story sort is I ended up buying a second MRC 1999 action and it arrived today with its new barrel along with the whole 300 wsm rifle . Sweet ! In between February and now I tracked down the stock I wanted and ordered it. It's a new design from MPI and it should be here soon. They're making it as light as they can so it's all Carbon fiber and Kevlar. I also bought a Jewell trigger for a Winchester M70 as the MRC 1999 action is a M70 clone. Just finished installing it and it is everything a Jewell trigger is known for. Simply amazing ! One pound with absolutely no creep right out of the bag ! If you have a Winchester M70 and want to really upgrade your rifle the Jewell trigger is worth every penny imo. It will take a little bit of inlet work on the bottom metal and maybe the stock also to make room for it but no big deal. I've already replaced the bottom metal from the 1999 with an aluminum one for Winchester from PTG , fit right up except for room for the Jewell trigger. It worked fine with the factory trigger. That's as far as I've gotten so far but I wanted to start this thread.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've run into my first problem. The Jewell trigger doesn't hold the firing pin back far enough to let the safety catch the firing pin and pull it off the sear. It needs about. 003 -.0035 to clear and catch it seems. Compressing the spring while trying to measure is tough. Any M70 / 1999 smiths got any advice before I tear the safety apart and figure out what needs to be done ?

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Just remember---you only have a couple of months before hunting season...........:)

Randy

Fortunately I now have a 300 wsm as backup if I screw the pooch on this project. The 6.5 saum is ready also even if I'm not satisfied with its performance it is still sending plenty of energy down range accurately enough to kill anything I'm hunting.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I was just doing some reading and I'm pretty sure I understand what I need to do and what dimensions I need to watch so the trigger will reset if pulled while the safety is engaged. I was doing some more measuring and I'm pretty sure three thousandths is all I need to grind off the catch on the cocking piece. Should still be ten thousandths over the minimum recommended firing pin lift of .025" for trigger reset clearance. If I lift the bolt just 25% off of lock the safety works so I could just leave it be if I wanted.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Couldn't let it be. Took it apart and took a stone to the edges of the notch it catches and cleaned them up and didn't get into the center or really take much off but it was all it took to get it working. Still a little tight but it will work itself in with use. So it's fixed.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
A couple of pictures of the barreled action. 9 twist 26" Dan Muller barrel chambered in 7mm WSM by Matt Salm. Waiting on my MPI stock now.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 166
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 150

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Have you tracked any brass down yet? Still keeping my eyes open when I'm on the net or in a store.

Looking forward to this missile launcher being done before hunting season.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Have you tracked any brass down yet? Still keeping my eyes open when I'm on the net or in a store.

Looking forward to this missile launcher being done before hunting season.

Yes I did. I found 220 pieces of new Winchester brass all from the same lot and I have 40 pieces of five times fired brass. The MPI stock is approximately three weeks out. I need to mill out the bottom metal to fit the Jewell trigger and I need to either find someone to lengthen the throat or get a unithroater kit and do it myself. The 7mm wsm II reamer is apparently optimized for a Remington 700 with a wyatt extended magazine. When touching the lands with 168 berger vlds the col was 2.97 and I have a 3.15" magazine. I put a call into PTG but Pete hasn't called me back yet.

Sounds like a great project. You might have saved yourself some trouble with the trigger if you would have left the MRC trigger on the action. Those are the old Winchester Model 70 style trigger and are simple and bullet proof. The one's I've felt from the factory broke right at three pounds with no creep or over-travel.

I can't wait to see how it shoots for you!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Three pounds is an awful trigger imo. I have a second one to work on in 300 wsm and I'll see what can be done but I'm pretty sure it will wear a Jewell in the future. My M70 6.5 saum has a factory trigger that I worked that breaks at 22oz that is pretty good but I have had difficulty achieving that in other M70's. Most are not reliable under two pounds. The factory MRC on the 300 wsm is heavy and rough to me and has a bit of over travel. If you have never owned a Jewell you really are missing out on the finer side of shooting.

Am so glad to see shreks new build thread. Enjoyed last years version immensely. Will follow this to the end,hopefully some shots fired in the mountains.good luck

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I sure hope there are shots fired at ELK in the mountains ! Since I'm kind of stuck waiting on the stock I decided to work on the 300 wsm's trigger. It's exactly like the M70 and it was easy to clean it up some. Stoned the trigger side of the sear to get about 95% contact across it up from about 65% and got all the grind scratches going the direction of pull. Then installed an Ernie the Gunsmith trigger spring. Adjusted almost all the over travel out and then worked on the spring tension. I now have a bruised palm from making damn sure it wouldn't slam fire but it breaks very clean and much lighter. Don't own a trigger guage but I'm guessing about two pounds. Very nice and only took an hour or so. Waiting on the guntight to dry now so I can check it another 50 times or so.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Yes. They made couple of one offs for another customer and liked them so they are making a production mold now and mine is supposed to be the first out of the new mold. It will be brown with black and olive spider webbing. Supposed to be mostly carbon fiber and some kevlar. In the mean time I need to figure out how I'm going to inlet the aluminum PTG bottom metal to fit the Jewell trigger and lenghten the throat .13" . I haven't heard back from PTG so I'm calling them again tomorrow.

Three pounds is an awful trigger imo. I have a second one to work on in 300 wsm and I'll see what can be done but I'm pretty sure it will wear a Jewell in the future. My M70 6.5 saum has a factory trigger that I worked that breaks at 22oz that is pretty good but I have had difficulty achieving that in other M70's. Most are not reliable under two pounds. The factory MRC on the 300 wsm is heavy and rough to me and has a bit of over travel. If you have never owned a Jewell you really are missing out on the finer side of shooting.

this is a hunting rifle right? With my tikka's iv'e never even felt the 3lb trigger shooting at game. Almost too light, when the blood is pumping. unless you are LR hunting and have a ton of time to set up shot and gently squeeze.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I find trigger weight is what you are used to. If you have practiced with a light trigger then you shouldn't have an issue and you ALWAYS have time to properly squeeze the trigger.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
this is a hunting rifle right? With my tikka's iv'e never even felt the 3lb trigger shooting at game. Almost too light, when the blood is pumping. unless you are LR hunting and have a ton of time to set up shot and gently squeeze.

I shoot a lot of Tikkas, and absolutely love them. I never leave the trigger at 3lbs though. I always lighten them up as much as I SAFELY can. All of mine range from 1.25lb to 2lb without any rework other than loosening the set screw. With that said, there is still no comparison between the stock Tikka trigger and a Jewel or Geissel or other top quality trigger.

I find trigger weight is what you are used to. If you have practiced with a light trigger then you shouldn't have an issue and you ALWAYS have time to properly squeeze the trigger.

Agreed