Review: Cooper Excalibur by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey all, I've done a little posting on this project the last year but wanted to get a final review up before another Rokslide writer, Matt Cashell, puts this same rifle through the ringer. Here's my take on the Cooper Excalibur:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/firearms/370-cooper-excalibur-a-true-shooter

Last edited:

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to see that it shot as well as it hefted and more importantly as well as the trigger broke. One of these days, maybe...

Cody_W

WKR
Robby,

I'm curious if this is still a rifle you use? I'm looking into getting one and would love to know how it has been for you. looks great.

Thank you,
Cody

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Cody,

Robby sent this rifle to me after he used it, and I wrote some articles on it. I then used it as the platform for my Swarovski Z6 review last year. It is back at Cooper now.

Made in America: Cooper Firearms of Montana

Elk Hunting with the Cooper Model 52

Review: Swarovski Z6 2.5-15X44 BT

It is an excellent rifle that just shot better and better as I used it. It was light enough to carry while just heavy enough to keep the 7RM magnum pleasant to shoot. I would have preferred a hinged floor plate to the removable magazine, but that is me.

I am confident you would find it a good choice.

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
This article introduced me to Cooper and peaked my interest. After a year or so of sitting on the fence, I finally ordered a Model 54 Excaliber in 6.5 that has exceeded my own expectations. I topped it with a Nightforce 4-14x50 SHV first focal plane mil reticle and mil turrets which has proved to be an excellent pairing. I have shot out to 1100 yards with this rifle and kept pace with my friends AI rifle chambered in 7mm LRM. Granted, his rifle is ballistically superior and he's using hand loads but the factory match ammo by Hornady gave my rifle a good run out to a 1000. Both our rifles are designed for different applications but we were both immensely impressed with the Cooper's craftsmanship, performance and price point.

Since then, I have harvested a number of coyotes and Whitetail deer. This upcoming fall, I look forward to putting it to work in Idaho against Elk and Bear. Im currently looking at getting another Cooper in the future and try to steer people I know towards this company who are in the market for a new rifle.

IMG_0408.jpg