Elk boots.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am hunting first season rifle co this year. What boots do you recommend? Can I wear my rubber boots that I whitetail hunt in? I hate wet feet?

I guess it depends on your feet, but I'd leave the rubber boots at home. I hunt in a variety of boots, depending on the time of year and the weather.

I normally wear an un-insulated mountaineering boot (Lowa Banff or Krispi Idaho), and then if snow gets really deep I may switch to my Schnee Pacs.

You'll want something with good foot and ankle support, and a good self cleaning sole.

Terrapin

WKR
In 25 years I have worn rubber boots maybe twice... rainy, miserable, gonna go sit on a rock weather. A high quality gore tex, supportive mountain boot. I am partial to Zamberlan boots. I go from fairly low in September to fairly tall in November.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the rubbers. I got by my first 2 years out in the mountains with regular leather hunting boots ( Redhead Uplanders) but they just arent enough support. To much room for your foot to slide around and get wadded up goin sidehillin. First elk hunt so im gonna assume your strapped for funds tryin to get all new gear. I found a pair of Salomon 4D Gtx 2 reg 220 for 160 on the web. Theres a review of them on rokslide and the latest Elk Hunter mag. Felt awesome right outta the box for 2 miles w 70lb pack. Im only 160lbs so with 80lbs in my pack i got 240lbs on these boots, doesnt feel like my feet are pushin out the sides like with running shoes. Though they might not have the same support as a $400 pair of Lowas or Kenetreks, thats a big price diff, by my reasoning i should have the same support @ 80bs in my pack as a 200b guy w a 40lb pack.

KMT

WKR
A mountaineering or backpacking boot will work best. If you want a higher boot, get something with good ankle support. Rubber boots won't cut it unless you don't plan on walking anywhere.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Someone has been watching Morgan Beasly on Mountain Men trek across 250 miles in rubber boots. =-). I cant speak on this but when I saw Morgan for the first time and he was making that trek to his new property 250 miles away in Alaska I thought the guy was bat $hit Crazy for wearing those. Just what came to mind when I read this post. Sorry carry on nothing to see here. =-)

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am not too strapped for cash, this is my third elk hunt just got by during bow season with u insulated leather boots. But I want to be prepared for the weather, this is my first time later then the first week of sept so it could get nasty mid oct. Mostly still hunting.

I did a whole lot of hiking in Alaska wearing Xtra Tuff boots. The game changer is if you are backpacking a load, then all of a sudden they aren't so comfortable. You could likely still hunt fine in rubber boots, but you better have a backup plan in place.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Should of clarified I cant speak on the Rubber boots. =)

Edit: I started this post then went back and saw you added your not on that much of a budget. So still the info applies below. But it opens up alot of options if you spend a good 300$ on Boots.

Hey 2peter there are some fantastic deals out there if you shop around. Here are some Asolo Fugitve Renegades. Ive never personally owned this style but Asolo makes a fantastic boot. http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...0Pa7VqxkCSN5SUnamGq50aAvN_8P8HAQ&kpid=1898682

Also if you have an REI around your area. You can hit their Garage Sales and really get setup with some nice footwear for very inexpensive pricing. Important thing to remember is to make sure you get out there hiking in whatever you decide to go with so you can 1. break them in 2. make sure they are going be comfortable for you.

Also as important the boot quality is, dont forget about the footbed. I shop for footbeds first find what works and supports my arch first then I go out and try them in different boots. Thats what has worked for me. Once you marry a good foot bed with a great boot its amazing the comfort you can obtain. Sometimes the Footbeds can be more expensive then the boots themselves depending on who you buy from.

I have super bad feet so having high quality footwear is what I focus hard on. Ive had all kinds of issues including having a my Big toe cut in half and a pie shape piece of bone removed to realign it.

I personally am a huge Hanwag fan. But that maybe a bit steep for someone on a budget. My 2 cents. Hope that helps

Last edited:
Someone has been watching Morgan Beasly on Mountain Men trek across 250 miles in rubber boots. =-). I cant speak on this but when I saw Morgan for the first time and he was making that trek to his new property 250 miles away in Alaska I thought the guy was bat $hit Crazy for wearing those. Just what came to mind when I read this post. Sorry carry on nothing to see here. =-)

Lol I thought the same thing :-D

Agree with SHTF... footbeds are huge.
You will hear and read it all over, but Lowa Tibets are great - it was my first mountain boot and takes a couple weeks to get used to, but so stable when you do. Running Sof Sole Airr insoles in mine... and that was after trying orange and blue superfeet as well as L&S synergy.

Got my Tibets on sale for $220... there are deals if you shop around.

Shrek

WKR
Zamberlan , Lowa , Hanwag , Scarpa , ect. Try them all and find what fits. If you're not on a budget then call Steve at Lathrop and Sons and have them custom fit a boot for you. I'm taking un insulated leather lined boots to Montana for rifle in November for the third year in a row. Good socks and boots that breath well and keep the sweat for soaking your feet work way better than insulation in my experience. If I keep keep my feet dry in my Darn Tough's they stay warm. Soak them with sweat from hiking in insulated boots and my feet will be popsicles as soon as I stop. Another trick is when you stop to glass or sit for awhile loosen you laces so your circulation is better and there's more dead air space in your boot.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I know. I guess I just have used rubber for years and have hiked a lot of miles in them. So was wondering if anyone else felt the same and used them.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
For CO, I would strongly recommend a pair of stiffer, leather boots with Gore-Tex or other waterproofing material and get a good pair of gaiters. I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 grams of insulation but boot fit and comfort are a personal thing. I always bring a 2nd pair of boots and this year I will be bringing my Kenetrek Grizzly Pac boots. Two of the last 5 years I could have used a warmer boot due to fairly deep snow and colder temps. Kenetrek boots fit my feet better than most other boots I've tried. Your feet may be different and there are some great boots that are great for mountain hunting. I have a good pair of rubber boots and the last time I wore them was on a S. Dakota deer hunt when the weather had a quick turn for the worse. They are still in my closet and I haven't worn the since.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up hunting in lacrosse burlys, young enough i remember it was a wrestling match just to get those ankle fitted things off!! I can still hunt all day with those, but thats chasing whitetails and turkeys here in MO. Those hills out west are next level steep!!! My feet give out before my legs or my lungs in boots with no support. And then put a 100lb pack on. But hey Indians got by just wrapping some elk hide around their feet, if they werent barefoot.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless hunting elk like whitetails rubber boots would leave you asking what did you do bringing these things. Lots of good suggestions and boot options available. Find a pair that gives good support,solid traction and get them broken in.

TimeOnTarget

Lil-Rokslider
For me personally, I like more the hiking, super light weight boots. Must be Gore-Tex though. I don't care for the heavier, high support boots. I did spend a lot of years wearing combat boots though, which have basically zero ankle support.