Watching Water Sources

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
Usually, Oregon is so wet that watching water sources for bucks would be a waste of time. But this year is so dry that even springs are drying up, to say nothing of the moisture content of plants. So I'm thinking that it might not be a bad plan to do some ground stands at water holes or springs that are still flowing on my upcoming Sept. High Cascades hunt.

If I go this route, what's the most productive time for a stakeout? Early afternoon? Late afternoon? Last thing in the evening? All damn day?

Any advice would be appreciated.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Howd you do, since the hunt was a few weeks ago?

I have done well on this hunt, but there are lots of places for water to pool especially with the rain/snow we got over labor day.

choovhntr

WKR
Pretty sure this is a little late for your guys' season or if it will help but it seems to be a pattern for blacktail near me ( if you call anything with them a pattern). I hunt the California A zone in the Bay Area. Bow season is super early and extremely hot. The property I hunt always has springs with water, even this year which had been the driest in a while. I've always noticed the deer pick up and move between 10 and 11 A.M. In fact it's about the only time I've ever seen one drink from a water source. Put a camera out of you have one and check it out. Good luck!