A Moose Hunters Dilemma

Ray

WKR
This lucky guy gets drawn for an any bull permit in a pretty easy to get to area in the interior. Early in the spring a few buddies say they would love to go and try for a harvest ticket moose with me even though the likely hood of finding a legal harvest ticket moose is much lower than a tweener any bull. A spike-fork eats better than a 50" moose most the time anyway so just maybe a fella could punch a harvest ticket with one of them.

I have what I think is a good spot picked out a few miles down river from town. I ask a guy I "know" from the intertube forums that lives in the area about what he thinks of the spot and it turns out he has hunted it for many years. I instantly feel like I am trespassing. He says that for an any bull permit it's a gold mine as long as the squirrel assassins don't run all the little bulls out of the area with their camp mayhem. The guy even provides GPS data to one of his old tree stands, as he has moved on to other areas that are further from town and more productive for how his family hunts. He also said later in the season is better for seeing tweener bulls as they are moving west down river out of a high pressure region to the east off a major tributary.

The Alaska summer causes all kinds of hell for most people's fall plans. New projects needing to be completed before it snows. Projects that drag on or are delayed. Some guys even find themselves in a new relationship and don't want to test it just yet. Some guys are saving all their leave for a family trip during the darkest coldest part of the winter. Some can only get out for two to three days. Though they all would like some moose meat if I get one.

Thanks to how things go at the cubicle farm I have over two weeks of use or loose leave this year and I schedule the last half of September off. I cleaned out the freezer by smoking last years reds and canning them and then making caribou chili with some really old meat and canning that. I ran my old 1655 Roughneck jet boat up and down the Kenai to see how it will do on a river with a heavy load and the small 50/35 jet. Its a one moose at a time situation. I check out my rifle and find that Frog Lube CLP turns into thick sticky goop after 8 months. Lots of carb cleaner later the firing pin is working again. I am loving the .358 winchester and hope I get an opportunity to put it to work. But I will take the old 30-06 or maybe the .338WM (that I love/hate) just in case. And a can of carb cleaner in the boat box.

I picked up bear fence stuff and made my own system. I bought some light weight cots which should help my back and hip issues. I added a better ax to the gear box and then had a lot of fun sharpening it. I pickup a big bow saw as I know i will have to deal with blown down and fire killed spruce trees, I don't want to be using a chain saw. Propane bottles on sale so the buddy heater and the camp stove will be well fed. I think I'll take the PR49 as well in case one of the shallow side swamp streams offer up better options for access or retrieval. 100 feet of blue steel for the rope-a-long. 100 feet of poly cord. Already have lots of tarps. Lots of game bags. Lots of knives. Two pack frames to test out under heavy loads. The new US Army rec permit, 40 year old hunters ed card, locking antler tag and permit from ADFG are all in hand.

With one more work project to be completed at the end of August I will be free to sort and pack then head north on 9/12. I sent out some feelers for folks that may have changed their minds and find they are even busier than they were in the spring. I did get a meat processing assistance offer, which I will gladly take up if I get one.

To solo hunt for a moose is quite the thing to consider. At least with the any bull permit I don't have the "is he over 50" or "does he have enough brow tines" dilemmas. The "is he too far from the boat" dilemma will become very important. I have had that conversation with myself a few times on walk in hunts: He's legal but will I live through the pack out to the truck? In this area I shouldn't have to consider more than a half mile of hauling meat if my moose calling skills don't scare them off.

Dilemmas. Whats a fella to do?

EDIT: tongue firmly planted in my cheek on this post. I am going. I am going to have a good time for a week or more on the Tanana. I might even shoot a bear.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Go huntng ! Only so many seasons left and after all the pain of getting it done is past you'll laugh and smile at the memories.

colonel00

WKR
Yep, get out there. Also, take a camera. Should you find that monster and decide to pass, at least get some great photos to remember the experience.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone and say you have to do it! Glad to see that you edited it to say you're going. Enjoy the time afield and I know we will all be waiting in a month to hear how it went!

Ray,

I am very familiar with your "situation"

I am leaving on the 10th to meet up with my buddy in Eagle River. Neither one of us have shot a moose in more than a few years!!
For a long time, I did not have to worry about getting my own moose. I was always given plenty of rear quarters by hunters that I
flew out . I did not miss all the work that goes along with recovering a moose from out in the field!! There are a lot of animals to hunt
that are more fun than moose!! However I consider moose the best of all meat that we have available here!!
We are going to an area that I used to fly almost daily, and would see some amazing bulls!! Always wanted to hunt there!! Lots of grizzlys too!!
A friend of ours from Wyoming is coming along, and he has never shot one of our big moose up here. So, he will be the first priority. I will gladly help him pack his moose out , and then focus on a big grizzly.
We are all strictly handgun hunters, our Wyoming friend owns the company that makes the single shot 45-70 that he will be using. He usually
hunts with one of the revolvers that he makes. I will be using my usual .44 mag.

Good luck on your hunt, Be safe,
I know it is getting a little harder each year, this is my 46th fall season in Alaska and I am looking forward to it more than ever!!!!

Bob

Jdog

WKR
There is no dilemma--pack your chit, grab your boots and gun and go hunt.

It's in our blood.

Carry on...

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
Not a dilemma I am prepared for, but my left arm is the damaged one so this just another minor issue for me to manage for that side of the body.

Funny that I made it to 50 before I cut myself bad enough to need stitches. I know I should have had them a few times when I was younger, but electrical tape stopped the bleeding so why bother. Not this time, though, as it was a gusher.

Going to have to figure out a way to grip moose hide with my finger wrapped up. Reviewing my collection of wood working clamps

079603ab4ff408266ccfddb78041f458.jpg

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Double up a latex glove and you will be good to go......don't let a few stitches stop you ..

JPD350

WKR
Maybe a plastic fingertip stack splint then tape it up, you'll be able to use it and wont bust a stitch LOL it might hurt and bleed little but it's protected!!

I still have a scar on a fingertip that looks just like that one, except I fillet it the other direction, it always is the first thing to get cold when temps drop, got mine from a razor knife while cutting a plastic electrical box. Anyway I used one of those splints and went right back to framing.

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
954da2daa98f4e1af6412e68baae2e97.jpg

Ray "Klampet" ready to head down the Tanana.

f49e3afe2db929236265071d6babb876.jpg

Found the old camp with an omen. Will it help? Is this all going to work out?
There is a story from last Thursday morning, but it will have to wait till this is all over. At the clinic in Banks to get my stitches out. Some boat fixes as well.

It's not over till the 25th...

OP
Ray

Ray

WKR
ead3d1a5010ea1444fc7c52de64bf396.jpg

Sunrise view from the latrine. First morning without rain the first week out.

0d5f3f948f4dc4983c2eed62572305eb.jpg

I needed a suppressed .22 to defend myself from three species of grouse. Dangerous terrain.

a8e1ab45d7ed134a3be047e942287b93.jpg

My boat.

In all an interesting two weeks. I came out before the big snow storm hit. I should have done many things differently, but ran out of time, load capacity, and patience.