Lightweight saw

Takeem406

WKR
Starting packing up the Tenzing today and grabbed my smaller Wyoming saw. Holy it weighs as much as my (long) bow, literally! I've had the cheap folding Gerbers and they work good, the blade has a lot of flex. Also had the T handle Gerber and the small one was almost too small.

Any suggestions without breaking the bank? Would be nice if it would cut wood too.

Thanks!

ACC

FNG
Go to Home Depot and get a Corona best bang for the buck.
Capped 2 bulls last year and it worked great so it's back in the pack this year.

I've ran the cheap Gerber for years. Actually thought about switching to a wicked bone saw or even actually wyoming saw.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you like the Gerber style saw. Check out wicked tree gear. I just picked up one if their hand saws, mainly for cutting wood on my end. They make a bone saw blade as well though. Having broken multiple Gerber saws I was glad to see a nice quality option

Thing is built like a tank, and isn't really that much heavier than most on the market. I have never seen a hand saw this solid. Made in the USA too!

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
Good to know. I was looking at Gerbers online and they look like they've improved their folder. I found my Gerber T handle and it's great for deer, but it looks small for elk. And I'd like to be able to saw trees if needed. Thanks boys!

Something that I have been running recently that has been pretty sweet is the Gerber Gator Jr. It's not a great saw but pretty good for anything under 6". Haven't used it for elk and the only downside I see is that the saw doesn't start until about an inch back from the tip of the blade. However, it does make a great multi-purpose lightweight tool. I have strongly considered replacing the sheath with something lighter weight like Kydex as the one it comes with is quite heavy.

ChrisS

WKR
Second the Laplander. Great little saw. Cuts hardwood and soft equally well. I use it for up to 4" diameter logs for firewood in a pinch.

The folding Gerber saws are junk. Don't ask me why, but I have about 5 of them busted laying around the shed etc. They snap all the time right at that push button. You may get one elk capped with it, but be careful.

slim9300

WKR
It's really too bad they don't make the 15" Sawvivor anymore. It's my go to saw at 9.51 ounces including a wood and bone blade for hunting/backpacking. It's been going strong for 6 years now and it gets used a lot! Tough as heck for what it is. If the aluminum rivets ever fail they can be replaced with steel very easily.

http://youtu.be/Ex1GZnMloc0

jlmoeller

FNG
I built a saw using a hardwood dowel and the blade from a pole saw. It weighs 5.6 oz bare and 6.5 oz with paracord on the handle. The paracord greatly improves the grip. Overall length is 14 1/4 inches. Handle length is 7 inches. The cutting surface of the blade is 7 1/2 inches. I used a hole in the blade and drilled another one to get the handle mounted straight. I used my dremel tool to shorten the blade and remove some extra metal off the back. I cleaned up the sharp edges with a bench grinder. My buddy and I used it on a backpack archery hunt in Iowa a couple of weekends ago. It will cut through 5+ inch diameter limbs fairly easily. I am really happy with it.

Jason Moeller

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 200

7stw

WKR
Search eBay for a knapp bone saw. Super durable and relatively light. I'm using the one my dad had for almost 30 years it works great for cutting fire wood and awesome on bone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445789515.633275.jpg I've bought a few in recent years for gifts for my hunting buddies off eBay. They're no longer made.

Cindy

FNG
Well, if you want to cut wood, lots of wood, and have a light weight saw……….

What you need is a long stroke.
I use the short bacho saw as a bone saw, for removing skull plates. But if you want a saw that can remove skull plates and is great at cutting wood, what you want is a bow saw.

Like the Wyoming saw.
The problem with the wyoming saw is that it is heavy and has a short stroke. Also it has a short throat depth.

Short stroke saws will wear you out, just trying to cut small diameter wood.

What you want is a replaceable blade bow saw that is super light weight and sturdy.

Look into the Bob Dustrude's Quick buck saw.
It comes in several sizes, is super light weight, packs small, and is very strong.

light weight bow saws tend to flex and suffer from blade twist. Thats why heavy, thick bow saws exist.
The only one that we have found to be light and work flawlessly is the Bob Dustrude's.

You can buy them on amazon, or from Duluth pack.
If you care, you can buy replacement blades, or bone blades at the time you order.
The wood blade will cut bone.

A video a friend made of his saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BH8rMZXOM

No small parts to get lost, quick, easy to use, stores with the long blade non exposed so your stuff does not get damaged.
But the real joy is when you cut wood with this saw.
So strong, so stable, and so light.

If you cut wood for your tipi with a stove in the back country, its the best I have used.

slim9300

WKR
Well, if you want to cut wood, lots of wood, and have a light weight saw……….

What you need is a long stroke.
I use the short bacho saw as a bone saw, for removing skull plates. But if you want a saw that can remove skull plates and is great at cutting wood, what you want is a bow saw.

Like the Wyoming saw.
The problem with the wyoming saw is that it is heavy and has a short stroke. Also it has a short throat depth.

Short stroke saws will wear you out, just trying to cut small diameter wood.

What you want is a replaceable blade bow saw that is super light weight and sturdy.

Look into the Bob Dustrude's Quick buck saw.
It comes in several sizes, is super light weight, packs small, and is very strong.

light weight bow saws tend to flex and suffer from blade twist. Thats why heavy, thick bow saws exist.
The only one that we have found to be light and work flawlessly is the Bob Dustrude's.

You can buy them on amazon, or from Duluth pack.
If you care, you can buy replacement blades, or bone blades at the time you order.
The wood blade will cut bone.

A video a friend made of his saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BH8rMZXOM

No small parts to get lost, quick, easy to use, stores with the long blade non exposed so your stuff does not get damaged.
But the real joy is when you cut wood with this saw.
So strong, so stable, and so light.

If you cut wood for your tipi with a stove in the back country, its the best I have used.

That looks like an awesome saw. I wish he made a 15 inch model. The 21 inch model is only 14 1/2 ounces, but I can't see myself adding 5 ounces of pack weight for a bigger saw that doesn't have a bone blade. I realize that cutting bone is possible, but that doesn't make it ideal.

I may have to pick one up just to have.

cjayflo

FNG
I don't take it out wit me that often but I mine around the house all te time. Sven saw

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
The Wyoming saw is a good saw but way toooo heavy. And you can easily lose the smaller parts in the grass and leaves while trying to put the dang thing together.

I got rid of mine and bought a Bahco Laplander. Never looked back. Best switch I've ever made.

Another vote for the dustrude saw. Can process a lot of wood very quickly.
Worth the weight penalty if you are hot tenting it.